Apple, if no new MP, why no allow clones?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ronweathers, May 19, 2010.

1. ronweathers macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18)

Apple, criminy guys, if you will not update the MP in a timely and periodic manner, then at least allow clones for those of us interested in desktops?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Why would Apple allow clones? They only care about money and making OS X free of use for other manufacturers would be catastrophic for Apple. There is Hackintosh option if you're interested

3. ronweathers thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18)

Yeah, I understand the hack option, and there are plenty of threads about them, but just hoping to get some chatter going on a supported clone.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Because they feel that the current MP is good enough until they deem it necessary to upgrade the specs. Either that or they are trying to make as much money on older specs at the same price as possible before giving customers an upgrade.... I choose the latter.

5. goMac macrumors 603

New chips aren't in large enough supply to upgrade the Mac Pro right now.

6. madwolf macrumors member

Actually, you can't build today a hackintosh that is much better than the current MacPro. The six-core i7 980x is available...for about 1000USD a piece, no thank you. There isn't the technology yet available to noticeably improve on the MacPro. Sure, they could add Ati 5xxx but that's about it. That would cater mostly for gamers... how many gamers want to buy a MacPro as their gaming machine? Anyone? Why else would you need an Ati 5xxx in a MacPro? OpenCL apps are still non-existant.

Sorry for any language/grammar mistakes, I'm not a native english speaker.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can over clock a Hackintosh which is one big difference, plus more memory slots and support for faster memory than 1066MHz. 40-50% performance gain if done right.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What is a "criminy guy"? Please explain.

When you ask someone to do something, put yourself in their shoes. If Apple allowed clones, what would be in it for Apple?

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Apple has been there before and I don't think they want to revisit it.

10. TennisandMusic

And for much cheaper.

11. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

Allowing a clone would screw up Steves business model pretty badly :apple:

The first thing Steve did when he came back to Apple is to charge a silly amount for the clones that were licensing Apples operating system.

If they allow clones, they can longer govern the what exact bits of hardware goes into the machines and therefore you just have a PC that people start throwing all sorts of hardware in. This will lead to crashes, and if Apple even attempts to provide drivers it will put them out of focus.

There is a market for mac clones, and thats hackintosh. Simple as that.

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

They will release an updated Mac Pro in due time...

13. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

A better question

A better question might be to ask why Apple doesn't have a mid-range computer, with similar power to the iMac, without the screen?

I was tired of waiting for Apple to come out with a mid-tower machine, so I built a Core i7 Hackintosh. (The Mac Mini is nice, but underpowered.) It's been a challenge to get everything working properly, but it's nearly flawless now and even runs all the Software Updates without any problems. Cost: Around $700 with all new parts, sans monitor.

I believe this market is the primary focus of people who make Hackintoshes, and Apple is missing it completely.

-Aaron-

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The single quad Mac Pro is in the same power range as any mid-tower would be. It is just priced within Apple's product line, rather than against the desktop market.

15. parakiet macrumors regular

but you can built the same for a lot less :p

16. gotzero macrumors 68040

It upgrades pretty much every Intel architecture change. Would you prefer they announce it now but cannot deliver you one due to processor volume?

17. wisty macrumors regular

Portal has a lower framerate on OSX than on Windows. Why? Presumably the 3D card drivers are better on Windows.

My guess is that the MacPro is stalling because it's taking too long to update drivers. Clones won't change this.

18. telequest macrumors regular

Absolutely. Communication and information goes a long way to making customers feel their needs are understood and appreciated. I sure do that with my clients. I wish Apple did it with theirs.

19. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Clones are just a bag of hurt

20. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

You're spot on, Apple is missing this market completely. Thing is they don't care. Apple has never been about capturing market share, the iMac sells well (at a premium), the MacPro sells well (at a premium), and the MacBook Pro sells well (also at a premium). See Apples business model is about selling what they want to sell, what they feel best fits the Apple way of doing things, in markets where they an see significant margins over the PC makers (the ones going for market share).

Face it, any hope of a low cost highly upgradable computer from Apple died when Woz retired. If there was one difference, actually there were a lot but its this one thats important here, between the two Steves its that Job's vision has always been to sell people his vision of what a computer should be while Woz's vision was to sell people computers they could cast in their own personal vision of what a computer should be.

21. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

So your saying you'd rather be left in the dark and not have any information to plan ahead your work, clientelle, and finances?

Telequest is right about keeping customers informed. No wonder Microsoft has the enterprise segment covered.

22. goMac macrumors 603

Apple will actually usually tell enterprise when there are new products in the pipe. You just have to sign an NDA.

I actually worked for one institution that was told about the iMac ahead of time. In broad terms, not a feature by feature description, but they did ask what features we wanted. They were also told about the Macbooks in the same way, with a release timeline.

Remember, Microsoft is just a software company. As far as software is concerned, Apple always announces software far in advance. iPhone OS, Mac OS, etc....

23. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

It goes against Steve's fundamental business philosophy to allow a clone market. Talk about lack of control! It was done while he was away from Apple and one of the first things he did when he came back was to kill the clones.

24. HSJR macrumors member

Funny apple!

apple never look at the market needs; it sells their product blindly and they are sure that people will eventually buy them .LOL I bought MP last year and I konw that I won't see any upgrade to GPU for at least 1.5 year. I will be supporting heckntoch as my future desktop because I hate to see my desktop to be out-dated. it is funny that current MP is not supporting 5.1 sound system with respcet to its price.

25. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

You're right about MS. In my haste, I had completely forgotten that. However, unlike MS, Apple's OS is tied to it's hardware, so consumers and enterprises are still at the mercy of Apple's 1-2x a year update schedule if good hardware investments are the issue.

So I guess this argument would extend to PC hardware manufacturers as well, and those companies such as Dell are still not as closed off as Apple. NDAs from Apple or not, I still would think Enterprise customers have much more leeway in planning with PCs than with Macs.