Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Station A posts a pdf and image of an article in the April issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly entitled "i GOT GAME: Apple bites into the portable-gaming market".

The article depicts a Nintendo Gameboy / iPod hybrid image which claims to be an Apple portable game machine to be introduced by Apple called the iGame.

EGM reportedly posts April Fools articles in their April magazine issues, which this is felt to be:

Thanks to the many readers who have written in to fill me in on some of EGM’s past April Fool’s Day plants. Given the questionable details presented in the article (firewire on a new device when we are seeing Apple phase out firewire connectivity on new models of iPods?), and the fact it seems very highly unlikely that EGM would break the news on a release as big as this as opposed to his Steveness, it would appear that EGM has decided to pull the collective leg of the Mac faithful. Keep an eye on 1UP.com, EGM’s parent website, to see if they own up to their trickery.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i don't see apple EVER releasing a gameboy/PSP thing

edit - that picture looks totally fake, i could have done a better job

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Never say never.

OK, I will. Apple would NEVER let a magazine article announce big new product (completely lacking Apple construction quality) and yet fail to mention in their own "fun" event :D

But it's a well-crafted joke by the magazine, right down to finding things to criticize that stem from simplifying the portable game concept. Two thumbs up.

April 1 comes but once a year. Enjoy it!

Comment

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Grrrr I hate the internet on April Fools day - Does nobody realize that it's bad luck to pull an April fools day joke before 1st April and after mid-day on the day!? EGM are now in for 7 years bad luck. Slashdot, MacNN, all the news sites - They regularly post phony stories after 12:00.

Even if you're not superstitious it's breaking tradition. It's a bit like opening all your christmas present on christmas eve. It really pee's me off.

And yes - this is clearly a fake. It's so crap I'm actually slightly offended.

Comment

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
well, if Apple releases the 4" touch screen thing, then you'll see games pop up for it, along with hundreds of other I/O apps that will make life worth living.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
arn said:
I very much dislike April 1 :)

arn
It's quite the occupational hazard. Apple's anniversary, coinciding with the day of hoaxes? :eek:

I think if Apple announced anything on Tuesday April 3, it won't matter if it was leaked over the weekend or not! Nobody will believe the leak.

Comment

GW3

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
I don't know

Well, most likly this is a fake but, we need to remember that Apple has done something like this before a products was introduced, does any one remember the Newsweek cover of steve jobs holding the 4th gen iPod. This cover was leaked before the 4th gen iPod came out.
Hey its Apple, you never know what they are working on in their labs.

Comment

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah, cause, most handheld game systems have pause, play, and skip song buttons on them.

Comment

Viewtiful Rich

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2005
The funniest thing is that there are probably still people out there that believe they're getting a realistic Wind Waker bonus with Twilight Princess. lol

I still can't believe how well that one went over.

Comment

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
TMA said:
...It's so crap I'm actually slightly offended.

Come on, offended? Really? I agree that the construction portrayed in the mockup is not up to Apple's standards, but I agree with nagromme when he says "never say never."

Apple produced the Pippin, which seems like ages ago, so this is not exactly uncharted territory even if Apple has grown by leaps and bounds since Mr. Jobs returned.

Apple has enough technological savvy and marketing cachet to make a handheld gaming system successful, in my opinion. Though hopefully it would be a little more sophisticated than the one depicted in the fake.

Comment

ccool2ax

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2005
TMA said:
Grrrr I hate the internet on April Fools day - Does nobody realize that it's bad luck to pull an April fools day joke before 1st April and after mid-day on the day!? EGM are now in for 7 years bad luck. Slashdot, MacNN, all the news sites - They regularly post phony stories after 12:00.

Even if you're not superstitious it's breaking tradition. It's a bit like opening all your christmas present on christmas eve. It really pee's me off.

And yes - this is clearly a fake. It's so crap I'm actually slightly offended.

First, EGM plants April Fool's jokes in the April issue, regardless of the month, to avoid any late jokes. Second, why didn't they find/hire a real Apple prototype designer? It's outdated (FW, 4pin remote jack) and crap. Plus, in the iTunes history bar, a significant amount of white space appears between "Games" and the end of the bar. Apple isn't that sloppy.

Comment

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
Apparently it has Intel Integrated Graphics... ;-)

Of course it's an April Fool. On the wider issue of whether Apple would ever sell such a thing, I suspect not for a while. They would probably follow the same path as Sony if they ever did, releasing a regular console and working on building a reputation for it. Nokia tried the "Let's jump right into games" thing, and failed miserably despite a fairly reasonable product, 1st generation flaws notwithstanding.

Pippin isn't really relevent here. Pippin was an attempt to build a platform, by a company which bears little resemblance to the Apple of today. Pippin's failure was the strategy, timing, and product design, not the notion of consoles. More important is the fact it's a crowded market, with Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft at each other's throats. There's little evidence there's room for a fourth platform. There's actually virtually no evidence that there's room for a third platform in portable gaming given the PSP's increasing problems in that area. Sony will continue to throw money at it, but it seems to be doing better as a portable video player, bizarrely enough, than a games machine.

Nice spoof though. Perhaps a forthcoming Apple "Nokia 770" will be functional enough to make a good portable games player.

Comment

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
I agree with what you've written, peharri. I cited the example of Pippin just to demonstrate that Apple has had gaming within its purview at one time--though we agree that today's Apple is a far cry from what it was ten years ago.

With regard to the market being overcrowded, I don't believe that is a deterrent to Apple. Isn't the iPod external speaker market pretty crowded? The advantage they would have is integration with their other products/services, like the soon-to-be-enhanced iTMS.

I'm not contending that they will enter this market, but I think they could come up with a competitive product (with Intel's help) if they were so inclined.

Comment

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
for those of you too lazy to click the article and see the pictures ...

Attachments

• igame_color.jpg
    igame_color.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 311
  • igame_article_text.jpg
    igame_article_text.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 253
Comment

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
There is no way that this is a real picture; it's too ugly to be an Apple product. :eek:

It would be very cool if Apple made an "iGame" and made games downloadable from the iTMS. ...Maybe someday.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.