Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced plans to introduce an Apple Immersive Video that features the best of the 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs. Apple says that this will be the first-ever sports film captured in Apple Immersive Video, and it will be viewable on the Vision Pro headset.

apple-tv-mls-season-pass.jpg

According to Apple, the MLS Playoffs were recorded in 8K 3D with a 180-degree field of view and Spatial Audio.
Coming soon, all Apple Vision Pro users can experience the best of the 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs with the first-ever sports film captured in Apple Immersive Video. Viewers will feel every heart-pounding moment in 8K 3D with a 180-degree field of view and Spatial Audio that transports them to each match.
The MLS Apple Immersive Video will be coming in the near future, and its upcoming launch was included in an announcement about the kickoff of the 2024 MLS season.

MLS Season Pass subscribers can watch Inter Miami CF and Real Salt Lake tonight at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, with a special 90-minute version of MLS Countdown premiering at 6:30 p.m. Eastern Time.

MLS Season Pass is priced at $14.99 per month during the season or $99. Apple TV+ subscribers can get a discounted price of $12.99 per month or $79 for the season.

Article Link: Apple Immersive Video Featuring 2023 MLS Playoffs Coming to Vision Pro

Reactions: SFjohn

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Now we're getting somewhere. I've been talking about this kind of application for Vpro for a long time. I hope many other sports are going to get this too.

Basically, something that feels more like being there than anyone can get on a 2D screen without having to pay fortunes (like $8K-$40K for courtside seats, $9K+ for Superbowl (worst) seats, etc.). Bring on NFL ST-VR, NBA VR, MLB VR, NHL VR, etc. When reality can cost this...

full

...the cost of a Vpro for a next or next-next best thing will not seem nearly so onerous. And yes, of course, in person is still the superior experience, but not everyone can scratch up $43,350 for ONE game (but that kind could perhaps skip one such game and buy the whole family Vpros + the subscription(s) to the favorite sport(s) or event(s) with lots of cash left over). And yes, when it's a party of more than one, gathering around the TV will still be the ideal way to watch. But then there's those other times where Vpro can take an owner to a place in between those viewing experiences.

How long until Vpro buddies quite distant from each other can virtually attend a big game back in the home or their college town and virtually sit side-by-side during the game? Look right and your buddy actually on the West Coast seems to be there. He looks left and his buddy on the East Coast seems to be there. Maybe third buddy in Europe on business can join you both too? While East Coaster watches the action, it could SOUND like his West Coaster & In-Europe buddies are sitting next to him... and vice-versa. He can hear their game chatter and see them when he looks in the direction of that chatter. The actual event they are VR-attending might be somewhere far from all of them.

Imagine the concerts offering this option too- there's thousands of those each year. Broadway shows. Olympics. Pretty much every PPV event can go this way. Etc.

(Extra) Money will be the motivator. Time will be the facilitator. Exercise some patience and more and more of this will come. Entertainment entrepreneurs must smell the opportunity and are almost certainly working on it. There's already at least one Vpro app applying this kind of thinking. I strongly believe they are only the first of many such apps.

Personally, I've had too many "big game" moments at 37K feet having to watch on tiny seat-back screens or up to tiny tablet screens. Imagine the very same airplane usage we already know works well for Vpro being applied to virtually attending live events. Yes, your actual body may be hurtling through the atmosphere at 500MPH but you can enjoy a good illusion of sitting court-side at the big game (NOT for $43K).

Last edited:

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Now we're getting somewhere. I've been talking about this kind of application for Vpro for a long time. I hope many other sports are going to get this too.

Basically, something that feels more like being there than anyone can get on a 2D screen without having to pay fortunes (like $8K-$40K for courtside seats, $9K+ for Superbowl (worst) seats, etc.). Bring on NFL ST-VR, NBA VR, MLB VR, NHL VR, etc. When reality can cost this...

full

...the cost of a Vpro for a next or next-next best thing will not seem nearly so onerous. And yes, of course, in person is still the superior experience, but not everyone can scratch up $43,350 for ONE game (or perhaps skip one such game and buy the whole family Vpro + the subscription(s) to the favorite sport(s) or event(s) with lots of cash left over). And yes, when it's a party of more than one, gathering around the TV will still be the ideal way to watch. But then there's those other times where Vpro can take an owner to a place in between those viewing experiences.

How long until Vpro buddies quite distant from each other can virtually attend a big game back in the home town and virtually sit side-by-side during the game? Look right and your buddy actually on the West Coast seems to be there. He looks left and his buddy on the East Coast seems to be there. The actual event is somewhere in the middle.

Imagine the concerts offering this option too. Broadway shows. Olympics. Pretty much every PPV event can go this way. Etc. There's already at least one Vpro app applying this kind of thinking. More will be coming.

(Extra) Money will be the motivator. Time will be the facilitator. Exercise some patience and more and more of this will come. Entertainment entrepreneurs must smell the opportunity and are almost certainly working on it.

Personally, I've had too many "big game" moments at 37K feet having to watch on tiny seat-back screens or up to tiny tablet screens. Imagine the very same airplane usage we already knows works well for Vpro virtually attending a live event.
And yet there’s superior experiences being developed for Quest….here you go AGAIN with “imagine if..” once again ignoring the outside world of Apple. “Let’s IMAGINE what Apple Vision Pro will be in the…FUTURE.”

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia

full

...the cost of a Vpro for a next or next-next best thing will not seem nearly so onerous. And yes, of course, in person is still the superior experience, but not everyone can scratch up $43,350 for ONE game (or perhaps skip one such game and buy the whole family Vpro + the subscription(s) to the favorite sport(s) or event(s) with lots of cash left over). And yes, when it's a party of more than one, gathering around the TV will still be the ideal way to watch. But then there's those other times where Vpro can take an owner to a place in between those viewing experiences.

How long until Vpro buddies quite distant from each other can virtually attend a big game back in the home town and virtually sit side-by-side during the game? Look right and your buddy actually on the West Coast seems to be there. He looks left and his buddy on the East Coast seems to be there. The actual event is somewhere in the middle.

Imagine the concerts offering this option too. Broadway shows. Olympics. Pretty much every PPV event can go this way. Etc.

(Extra) Money will be the motivator. Time will be the facilitator. Exercise some patience and more and more of this will come. Entertainment entrepreneurs must smell the opportunity and are almost certainly working on it. There's already at least one Vpro app applying this kind of thinking. I strongly believe they will only the first of many such apps.

Personally, I've had too many "big game" moments at 37K feet having to watch on tiny seat-back screens or up to tiny tablet screens. Imagine the very same airplane usage we already know works well for Vpro virtually attending a live event.

First we're going to need a device that is comfortable enough to wear for a three hour game.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
And yet there’s superior experiences being developed for Quest….here you go AGAIN with “imagine if..” once again ignoring the outside world of Apple. “Let’s IMAGINE what Apple Vision Pro will be in the…FUTURE.”

Eh. I have both an AVP and Quest 3 and watched a basketball game (Philly vs Cleveland) a few weeks using Xtadium. The huge difference with the AVP version will be the impressive ass quality of the video in comparison to the Quest 3 version. Nevertheless, most who haven’t experienced it will be blown away.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
For people like me who don’t have a Vision Pro so I don’t know, what does this mean? Like does it look 3-D or what?

Reactions: kangyula

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

I’m happy for such services coming for all hardware. Those happy with less resolution can enjoy them at lower res. I see it as a win for everyone involved… with whatever hardware anyone has.

In the traditional way, there’s 8K, 4K, 1080p and 720p sets for sale, with prices usually falling with resolution. Those happy with less resolution can enjoy video just as readily as those with higher res TVs. Good for all.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
Am I right in thinking that for much less than the cost of a Vision Pro and this subscription, you can just watch these games on tv (and enjoy the occasion with more than one person)?

The reality is, sports are celebrated, more often than not, as social events.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002

Here's hoping they'll make it compatible with AVP as well. I'd prefer the better resolution.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Am I right in thinking that for much less than the cost of a Vision Pro and this subscription, you can just watch these games on tv (and enjoy the occasion with more than one person)?

The reality is, sports are celebrated, more often than not, as social events.
Am I not right in assuming that anyone considering laying out money for ANY VR accessory probably ALREADY HAS a TV, so this is just about never an either-or decision but an optional AND decision… giving such people a way to have their social cake and eat their virtual cake when not among friends too?

The reality actually is that sports can be BOTH social events and solo events and owners of both kinds of “screens” may enjoy the flexibility to watch either way as it pleases them.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
Or people who just prioritize the money they have differently than you do. For example...do you own a car? I don't. But I own an AVP. Who's rich and who's not in this instance?
It was a play on the concept that anyone who doesn’t have a vision pro is poor, but of course you didn’t get it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Here you go:

Trust, it’s impressive as hell. I can only imagine the AVP version.

That’s cool, I’d love it to work more like VR360 such as in the below example. On my iPad with this opened in the YouTube app, I can move it around to simulate looking around as one could do with VR tech. Instead of having only about a 180 degree range out front, this would let VR wearers look anywhere much like how they could if they were actually there in person…

It may look a bit weird if viewed on something other than a mobile device, but "open in YouTube" on an iDevice and then move the device around like you are looking around and you'll see the huge difference vs. watching the same through a 2D "window" called a TV.

If viewing on a laptop or desktop, click & hold the playing video and drag it around to look in different directions. Obviously in VR tech, you would just look... wherever you want to look... vs. the click & hold & dragging to "fake it" through a stationary "window."

Last edited:

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
That’s cool, I’d love it to work more like VR360 such as in the below. On my iPad with this opened in the YouTube app, I can move it around to simulate looking around as one could do in VR tech. Instead of having only about a 180 degree range out front, this would let VR wearers look anywhere much like how they could if they were actually there…

It looks a bit weird if viewed on something other than a mobile device.
Is this actually 3D though? Most 360 content is just like panoramas, not 3D.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
Am I not right in assuming that anyone considering laying out money for ANY VR accessory probably ALREADY HAS a TV, so this is just about never an either-or decision but an optional AND decision… giving such people a way to have their social cake and eat their virtual cake when not among friends too?

The reality actually is that sports can be BOTH social events and solo events and owners of both kinds of “screens” may enjoy the flexibility to watch either way as it pleases them.
But AVP isn’t VR… It’s Facial Computing. Tim will be disappointed in that misguided statement.

• Disagree
Reactions: ke-iron and gusmula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.