Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
A football match lasts 90 minutes with a 15 minute break between the two periods, which is perfect for a VR experience.

You can even switch batteries on the 15 minute break.

My only complain with this is that MLS is such a let down league in the world of football, being around third in the Americas (behind the Brasileirão and Liga MX in terms of subjective quailty, even perhaps behind Argentina's Primera División) and certainly miles behind Europe's first tier leagues.
If only we had a tournament pitting every MLS team vs every Liga MX team and could use those results to identify who was better. Hint: 75% of the teams that advanced to the quarterfinal were MLS. 3 of the final 4 were MLS. The final was MLS vs. MLS.

Reactions: Timo_Existencia

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
This is great for soccer fans. And the Immersive video is amazing.
But the Vision Pro is only available in the US…..
And the Immersive video is only for soccer fans……in the US?
Ok!?

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Now we're getting somewhere. I've been talking about this kind of application for Vpro for a long time. I hope many other sports are going to get this too.

Basically, something that feels more like being there than anyone can get on a 2D screen without having to pay fortunes (like $8K-$40K for courtside seats, $9K+ for Superbowl (worst) seats, etc.). Bring on NFL ST-VR, NBA VR, MLB VR, NHL VR, etc. When reality can cost this...

full

...the cost of a Vpro for a next or next-next best thing will not seem nearly so onerous. And yes, of course, in person is still the superior experience, but not everyone can scratch up $43,350 for ONE game (but that kind could perhaps skip one such game and buy the whole family Vpros + the subscription(s) to the favorite sport(s) or event(s) with lots of cash left over). And yes, when it's a party of more than one, gathering around the TV will still be the ideal way to watch. But then there's those other times where Vpro can take an owner to a place in between those viewing experiences.

How long until Vpro buddies quite distant from each other can virtually attend a big game back in the home or their college town and virtually sit side-by-side during the game? Look right and your buddy actually on the West Coast seems to be there. He looks left and his buddy on the East Coast seems to be there. Maybe third buddy in Europe on business can join you both too? While East Coaster watches the action, it could SOUND like his West Coaster & In-Europe buddies are sitting next to him... and vice-versa. He can hear their game chatter and see them when he looks in the direction of that chatter. The actual event they are VR-attending might be somewhere far from all of them.

Imagine the concerts offering this option too- there's thousands of those each year. Broadway shows. Olympics. Pretty much every PPV event can go this way. Etc.

(Extra) Money will be the motivator. Time will be the facilitator. Exercise some patience and more and more of this will come. Entertainment entrepreneurs must smell the opportunity and are almost certainly working on it. There's already at least one Vpro app applying this kind of thinking. I strongly believe they are only the first of many such apps.

Personally, I've had too many "big game" moments at 37K feet having to watch on tiny seat-back screens or up to tiny tablet screens. Imagine the very same airplane usage we already know works well for Vpro being applied to virtually attending live events. Yes, your actual body may be hurtling through the atmosphere at 500MPH but you can enjoy a good illusion of sitting court-side at the big game (NOT for $43K).
too pie in the sky.

We barely get 4k sporting events right now.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
If only we had a tournament pitting every MLS team vs every Liga MX team and could use those results to identify who was better. Hint: 75% of the teams that advanced to the quarterfinal were MLS. 3 of the final 4 were MLS. The final was MLS vs. MLS.
like the CONCACAF Champions League?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
too pie in the sky.

We barely get 4k sporting events right now.

All it takes is putting 4K cameras in the right places and the equipment "truck" to process the video.

The reason we barely get 4K events now- though there are always some- is simply lack of replacing expensive equipment- including much equipment beyond the cameras- with better equipment to then distribute it at a (lower) quality level that most people watch/receive. Those able to upgrade to 4K (or even 8K) just lack the motivation in seeing a "more money" path than sticking with the production equipment already in place.

The ONLY way to add VR versions of sports to the mix would be to put in brand new cameras... so might as well step it up if going there. And if the services are going to simulate being there, other tech like graphics overlays & such would not necessarily have to be in play. VR "attendee" could look up at the scoreboard(s) for their scores/stats etc... just like the live bodies actually at the game don't have game graphics, etc. This conceptually makes it both an easier production and a cheaper one... with a brand new stream of ancillary revenue on sporting (and other events) that are going to be played anyway.

I don't think it's "pie in the sky." I actually think this is pretty doable by any leagues hungry for a relatively easy source of new revenue from basically the very same product they already offer. In other words, another kind of NFL ST-type product: same games but a different way to watch them.

The "sit with 3 friends" physically located in 3 places as if the 3 of you are attending a game at a fourth location (like the college you 3 attended) is the most "pie in the sky" thing I wrote. But give that time. Personas already make a rudimentary form of multi-people meeting possible and that will continue to evolve. If 10 virtual people can meet around a table, why can't they sit together on the same side of a table to watch an event. And if they are all positioned there, why can't any one of them look left & right to see them there just as we can already look left & right to see Personas of such people around a virtual meeting table? Time & programming advancements seem destined to bring it. The roughest version of this scenario already works... even managing the spatial audio so that those to the left are heard on the left and those to the right are heard on the right.

Last edited:

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
All it takes is putting 4K cameras in the right places and the equipment "truck" to process the video.

The reason we barely get 4K events now- though there are always some- is simply lack of replacing expensive equipment- including much equipment beyond the cameras- with better equipment to then distribute it at a (lower) quality level that most people watch/receive.

The ONLY way to add VR versions of sports to the mix would be to put in brand new cameras... so might as well step it up if going there. And if the services are going to simulate being there, other tech like graphics overlays & such would not necessarily have to be in play. VR "attendee" could look up at the scoreboard(s) for their scores/stats etc... just like the live bodies actually at the game.

I don't think it's "pie in the sky." I actually think this is pretty doable by any leagues hungry for a relatively easy source of new revenue from basically the very same product they already offer. In other words, another kind of NFL ST-type product: same games but a different way to watch them.
well you're explaining why it is pie in the sky.

I'm not being so literal as to mean it will never happen at all. But that it is going to take a long time. LIke wake me up every 5 years to report on the progress.

4k tvs have been a thing for a decade now and a massive percentage of households have one but are 4k sports close to ubiquitous yet? Not in my experience.

Last edited:

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
CCC literally starts in MLS pre season.
yes starts during the pre-season not occurs during the pre-season. ;)

anyway I was really just making fun of the tournament you were referencing. Because the CONCACAF is essentially the same thing. So much so I didn't understand the purpose of the Leagues Cup except Apple needed some more return on their investment.

Reactions: brucemr

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
yes starts during the pre-season not occurs during the pre-season. ;)

anyway I was really make fun of the tournament you were referencing. Because the CONCACAF already existed and is essentially the same thing.
It's not though. You qualify for CCC based on your previous year's accolades. The team that qualifies is different than the team that competes. Therefore, the best teams are not always there.

Leagues Cup has everyone participate. The best teams are there. The worst teams are there. And there is no schedule congestion.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008

That tournament was played to the time and place of convenience of the MLS and has been disputed exactly once (US teams were allowed to play in their local stadiums while Mexican teams had to take cross country flights every other day to accommodate for them, it wasn’t even funny).

When competing on equal footing, as in the Concacaf Champions League, Mexicans have a lead of 20 to 1.

Reactions: brucemr

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
It's not though. You qualify for CCC based on your previous year's accolades. The team that qualifies is different than the team that competes. Therefore, the best teams are not always there.

Leagues Cup has everyone participate. The best teams are there. The worst teams are there. And there is no schedule congestion.
Yep it isn't 100% identical. But it is very redundant.

Because all the MLS teams already play for the MLS cup.

And all the Liga MX teams play for the Liga MX (LMX) title.

And at least 6 of those MLS teams and 5 LMX teams advance to the CONCACAF. Where they play each other.

Meanwhile what happens in the Leagues Cup? You have MLS teams playing MLS teams even in the first round. LMX teams playing LMX teams. And then what happens to the top 3 teams in the Leagues Cup?

They advance to the CONCACAF cup. For even more MLS/LMX teams in the CONCACAF ...

It's very incestuous/redundant/circular...

The Leagues Cup is Apple's $$$ cup. Created more for $$$$ rather than sporting purpose.

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
That tournament was played to the time and place of convenience of the MLS and has been disputed exactly once (US teams were allowed to play in their local stadiums while Mexican teams had to take cross country flights every other day to accommodate for them, it wasn’t even funny).

When competing on equal footing, as in the Concacaf Champions League, Mexicans have a lead of 20 to 1.

We disagree that CCC (I don’t know what CCL is) is equal footing.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
My first thought after the Vision Pro demo was how amazing it would be for future events - sports / concerts / etc. Great to see some MLS immersive content coming, hopefully with time we keep seeing more added.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It begins. These efforts, duplicated to other sports and events, are going to drive huge sales of the Vision Pro.
I seriously doubt it. People who already want a Vision Pro will love this, but people who haven't been interested in the device to this point - people like me - are unlikely to say "oh wow, suddenly this makes me want one".

In any case, only time will tell.

CuddlyButDeadly

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2024
I wear my AVP on average of 5-7 hours per day. Comfortably.
Same.

A bit off topic but where is the new immersive content? I’m starting to go back and watch Alicia Keys for the third time. She’s great, but the demonstration video for immersive had a *lot* of promised content. Still in the editing bay?

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Is this actually 3D though? Most 360 content is just like panoramas, not 3D.
If it’s anything like the immersive demo on the Tv app on the Apple Vision Pro then yes it is full 3d, looks and feel like you’re there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.