Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Is this actually 3D though? Most 360 content is just like panoramas, not 3D.

Maybe. I believe it is shot from a one "eye" perspective. So I wonder what happens when TWO of these kinds of cameras spaced "average human eye width" apart capture such events. Do we get 3D AND panoramas when each stream is fed to each eye? In whatever direction we look? I don't know but I'd like EITHER option if both are possible.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
For people like me who don’t have a Vision Pro so I don’t know, what does this mean? Like does it look 3-D or what?
It looks like you are really there.. it’s beyond 3d movies. It’s pretty wild. I reached out to pet the damn baby rhinoceros; I forgot I wasn’t really there in the Apple TV+ immersive short. I’m scared of heights and the short with the canyon highlining made me have that same feeling.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe. I believe it is shot from a one "eye" perspective. So I wonder what happens when TWO of these kinds of cameras spaced "average human eye width" apart capture such events. Do we get 3D AND panoramas when each stream is fed to each eye? In whatever direction we look? I don't know but I'd like EITHER option if both are possible.
yes, there is actually VR360. It puts double cameras on 4 sides of a square camera. But the file sizes become HUGE. :)

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
I realize you are joking/poking, so let's called it Spatial Sports, Spatial Events, Spatial Experiences, etc to please anyone concerned with names or naming jokes.
I don’t like sports and I’m not going to buy Vision Pro if it comes to the U.K. so you can just write off my opinion without hesitation.

I would like to continue to point out that even though (maybe three) people on MacRumors ‘claim’ to wear this all day in comfort, it’s still not going to be the reality for the majority of the world, even if they do manage to find 4 thousand dollars to spend on it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
yes, there is actually VR360. It puts double cameras on 4 sides of a square camera. But the file sizes become HUGE. :)

There's also these pro spherical cameras for VR360 already in play and easily connected to existing event cameras to capture the same perspectives for VR watchers. Here's one hanging off of a NFL camera...

IMG_3675.JPG

My imagination would plant a few of these at prime seating locations and selling "season passes" or "per game/show" tickets to thousands or even millions of people who otherwise could NOT attend the game/event in person... very much like Pay Per View works now to get far more people into big events than could actually be there even if they could afford to be there. Priced like PPV, this doesn't have to be expensive to the VR "attendee" but because large numbers of virtual attendees could share the same "seat", the stadium could make much more money, Apple/Meta/etc gets their big cut and "attendee" gets to feel like they are more "there" than they can otherwise feel in the traditional ways.

Earlier in this thread, I showed an actual example of a single NBA game courtside ticket for $43K. in a VR PPV opportunity to simulate sitting in that seat, how many buyers are needed to make that same $43K at- say- a PPV rate like maybe $75? Answer: 576 people. Anything above 576 to virtually sit there makes MORE for the arena than selling the one seat to an actual person. But why not do both (sell the actual seat) and position the cameras somewhere else around there to also sell a virtual person times 576... or 1000 or 10,000 or more?

Millions of people pay for NFL ST. How many might pay at least as much for NFL ST VR? Youtube could still get their money for the masses audience via television. The NFL or some other partner could carve out another chunk of money from the very same product for a VR audience. Do the same for the NBA, MLB, NHL, Olympics, NCAA, Tennis, Golf, etc. There's new money there and it should be what seems (to me anyway) to be an obvious new kind of "product" that is coming. The story at the top of this thread is only the beginning.

Again (for the pessimists), this should not be better than being there live (but also not cost far more than Vpro + the event ticket for such prime seating) and does not make much sense in a group settings when the traditional TV viewing is the natural option. But for those times when sports/event fan is solo, it seems like a great option.

Last edited:

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
There's also these pro spherical cameras for VR360 already in play and easily connected to existing event cameras to capture the same perspectives for VR watchers. Here's one hanging off of a NFL camera...

View attachment 2351836

My imagination would plant a few of these at prime seating locations and selling "season passes" or "per game/show" tickets to thousands or even millions of people who otherwise could NOT attend the game/event in person... very much like Pay Per View works now to get far more people into big events than could actually be there even if they could afford to be there. Priced like PPV, this doesn't have to be expensive to the VR "attendee" but because large numbers of virtual attendees could share the same "seat", the stadium could make much more money, Apple/Meta/etc gets their big cut and "attendee" gets to feel like they are more "there" than they can otherwise feel in the traditional ways.

Again (for the pessimists), this should not be better than being their live (but also not cost far more than Vpro + the event ticket for such prime seating) and does not make much sense in a group settings when the traditional TV viewing is the natural option. But for those times when sports/event fan is solo, it seems like a great option.
You could just say that its application applies to a very narrow (or niche) audience.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don’t like sports and I’m not going to buy Vision Pro if it comes to the U.K. so you can just write off my opinion without hesitation.

I would like to continue to point out that even though (maybe three) people on MacRumors ‘claim’ to wear this all day in comfort, it’s still not going to be the reality for the majority of the world, even if they do manage to find 4 thousand dollars to spend on it.

I appreciate your ongoing pessimism (though I'm confused why you waste valuable time in threads about products in which you are apparently completely uninterested). I have no interest in Watch. I spend virtually no time at all in any Watch thread since I don't perceive there is anything there of interest to me... but glad Watch exists for those who are interested in it. And I won't bother poking at it or putting it down just because I don't happen to have interest in it. Others certainly do LOVE it. And good for them.

Nevertheless, let me point out that the majority of the world does not own an iPhone. Even fewer own an iPad. Even fewer own a Mac. Apple products in general might be called "niche."

This product doesn't have to be on nearly everyone's face, just as an iPhone doesn't have to be at everyone's ear. It's simply an optional piece of tech for anyone interested in this kind of tech... like iPhone, iPad, Macs vs. say much more popular (based on total sales volume) Android, Fire tablets and PCs/Chromebooks.

Whether it's $4K for this one or $500 for a Quest or $300 for XReal or $40 for Viewmaster, people interested in paying for it will own it and use it. Those who are not can put their money towards other things or just save it for whatever they may ever want to buy with it.

Last edited:

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I recently watched the Alicia Keys rehearsal immersive video.

I have my very favorite music artist...if my favorite artist made a full-length concert or up-close rehearsal immersive video? I'd pay very good money for that.
I seriously hope U2 releases an official Sphere concert video shot in 360° or at least 180°. If they ever do I will buy an AVP right away.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
Am I right in thinking that for much less than the cost of a Vision Pro and this subscription, you can just watch these games on tv (and enjoy the occasion with more than one person)?

The reality is, sports are celebrated, more often than not, as social events.
The ability to share a live experience like a sporting event or concert across multiple AVP wearers is an eventuality, it's just a matter of when.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
The ability to share a live experience like a sporting event or concert across multiple AVP wearers is an eventuality, it's just a matter of when.
Just because something can happen, it doesn’t mean it should. Just discount your own and my real world experiences to justify the new reality of spending $4,000 to look at your own friends. 🤡

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
My imagination would plant a few of these at prime seating locations
The ultimate would be if 360° cameras become small enough that referees could wear them on the field. Or at least from the sideline. We just have to give the technology a chance to catch up to the dream. The possibilities for camera placements are really exciting.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
VR360 cameras can be quite small and amateur ones are surprisingly cheap (as in fraction of iPhone pricing). Here's just one high-rated one that shoots 8K for under $350 on Amazon...

41KpjZVVdsL._AC_.jpg

Now the pro ones are BIGGER than "phone size" and the sphere-shaped ones seem especially popular for pro applications... but even these cheapie/small ones seem to capture some good VR360 video. There's many examples of this kind of capture on Youtube. Just search for VR360.

Last edited:
Reactions: amartinez1660

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
Just because something can happen, it doesn’t mean it should. Just discount your own and my real world experiences to justify the new reality of spending $4,000 to look at your own friends. 🤡
IMO you're talking gibberish. Luckily you will not be the decision maker on what content gets produced and distributed for the AVP. Ultimately when the technology allows, live events will be available on it and people will decide for themselves if the quality and price make it a good value proposition.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
VR360 cameras can be quite small and amateur ones are surprisingly cheap (as in fraction of iPhone pricing). Here's just one high-rated one that shoots 8K for under $350 on Amazon...

Now the pro ones are BIGGER than "phone size" and the sphere-shaped ones seem especially popular for pro applications... but even these cheapie/small ones seem to capture some good VR360 video. There's many examples of this kind of capture on Youtube. Just search for VR360.
Yes, I own an Insta360 One X and have posted 360° video I shot with it on YouTube. Look up U2 Las Vegas Sphere on Dec 13 as an example. However, my One X is a few years old and is hardly professional quality. Like you pointed out the newer models are 8K so perhaps they're broadcast quality and will look great on the AVP. I can't wait for the day when I can watch 360° video I've shot as well as professional sporting events and concerts on the AVP. When that day arrives I will buy one immediately.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
We want this for live events. Don't even bother doing it for games that are 4 months old. Nobody is going to go back and watch more than 3 minutes of it.
While I agree with what you said, I think we're going to have to take baby steps with this for a while until the technology, business model for production and distribution, as well as market adoption rate all converge. I am convinced once enough people experience the immersiveness of VR, the market for VR content will explode, but it's going to take time...

Gobeatty

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Now we're getting somewhere. I've been talking about this kind of application for Vpro for a long time. I hope many other sports are going to get this too.

Basically, something that feels more like being there than anyone can get on a 2D screen without having to pay fortunes (like $8K-$40K for courtside seats, $9K+ for Superbowl (worst) seats, etc.). Bring on NFL ST-VR, NBA VR, MLB VR, NHL VR, etc. When reality can cost this...

full

...the cost of a Vpro for a next or next-next best thing will not seem nearly so onerous. And yes, of course, in person is still the superior experience, but not everyone can scratch up $43,350 for ONE game (or perhaps skip one such game and buy the whole family Vpro + the subscription(s) to the favorite sport(s) or event(s) with lots of cash left over). And yes, when it's a party of more than one, gathering around the TV will still be the ideal way to watch. But then there's those other times where Vpro can take an owner to a place in between those viewing experiences.

How long until Vpro buddies quite distant from each other can virtually attend a big game back in the home town and virtually sit side-by-side during the game? Look right and your buddy actually on the West Coast seems to be there. He looks left and his buddy on the East Coast seems to be there. The actual event is somewhere in the middle.

Imagine the concerts offering this option too. Broadway shows. Olympics. Pretty much every PPV event can go this way. Etc.

(Extra) Money will be the motivator. Time will be the facilitator. Exercise some patience and more and more of this will come. Entertainment entrepreneurs must smell the opportunity and are almost certainly working on it. There's already at least one Vpro app applying this kind of thinking. I strongly believe they will only the first of many such apps.

Personally, I've had too many "big game" moments at 37K feet having to watch on tiny seat-back screens or up to tiny tablet screens. Imagine the very same airplane usage we already know works well for Vpro virtually attending a live event.
Yes. This. I had the same reaction. I didn’t see it coming but once I read the use case it’s like this could be a killer app for VPro.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
There's already at least one Vpro app

AmazeVR certainly shows the potential as when one of the performer turns and her hair hits you in the face. But found this particular app to be a bit creepy. All images are generated, or at least look that way, even the performer ...

I recently watched the Alicia Keys rehearsal immersive video.

This is much closer to what I would like to see in a concert VR. Live people in real places. Sports will be amazing one they figure out how to do it right.

Reactions: lovehateapple

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Immersive videos are the system seller. Everyone I show the Alicia Keys immersive video demo to is just blown away by it.

It really brought Strange Days to life.

Kinda surprised Apple didn't already have live immersive video for each MLS game, since they already have the broadcast rights to the games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.