Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
But, mostly, you see, it's just that social conservatives are and always have been on the wrong side of history.

I didn't see much point in quoting the rest of your screed, because this statement pretty much confirms what the OP was expecting.

As you have grudgingly granted to social conservatives, you are entitled to your opinion. But, your statement was every bit as bigoted as any statement I have ever heard or read. If you had made the same kind of sweeping generalization based on race, gender, religion, or sexual preference, the people that up voted your posting would probably be aghast. But somehow, leveling the same kind of attack against someone that doesn't share all of your beliefs is acceptable.

I don't care for many social conservatives, but my opinion is based on an individual's behavior, not a label (either self-applied, or assigned to them by someone else). However, I can disagree with someone without dehumanizing or discrediting them -- even you. Even though I believe you made a mistake, it doesn't mean that every thing you ever said or wrote is wrong.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I didn't see much point in quoting the rest of your screed, because this statement pretty much confirms what the OP was expecting.

As you have grudgingly granted to social conservatives, you are entitled to your opinion. But, your statement was every bit as bigoted as any statement I have ever heard or read. If you had made the same kind of sweeping generalization based on race, gender, religion, or sexual preference, the people that up voted your posting would probably be aghast. But somehow, leveling the same kind of attack against someone that doesn't share all of your beliefs is acceptable.

I don't care for many social conservatives, but my opinion is based on an individual's behavior, not a label (either self-applied, or assigned to them by someone else). However, I can disagree with someone without dehumanizing or discrediting them -- even you. Even though I believe you made a mistake, it doesn't mean that every thing you ever said or wrote is wrong.

Except people do not chose their race, sex, or sexual orientation whereas bigots chose to be bigots. Social conservatives have been on the wrong side of history is almost every case. Western courts around the world keep striking down socially backwards laws every year

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Of course a bill would be made after Tim around sex orientation, even though light came that he is gay...

I find that interesting together like like spam and ham.

Just find it wired of all the people, he would say that, now we know the truth from him

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
In the general article forum with all the other news articles. Why move this one to a special sub forum. Does the word discrimination make people here blush and they don't want everyone discussing it?
It is in the PRSI section, because it is a newsarticle about a legislation that is about to be passed. That falls under "politics" (P in PRSI). The general news forum is supposed to be about :apple: related news. This is not :apple: related.

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
It is in the PRSI section, because it is a newsarticle about a legislation that is about to be passed. That falls under "politics" (P in PRSI). The general news forum is supposed to be about :apple: related news. This is not :apple: related.

Discrimination is also a Social Issue.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
There is now no subject in which Apple will not do a 180 in an instant.

Is there any actual basis, aside from your own suspicious nature, to assume they're lying about someone in the company trying too enthusiastically to protect the company, and didn't accurately reflect the company's response in the first place? Considering there was a direct phone call to apologise for the handling, as stated by Todd herself, you're basically claiming she's in on the "deception". Which doesn't make any sense. She's corroborating what Apple are saying about an internal mistake, and yet you're claiming some company-wide flip-flop. What is the actual basis for that (that isn't based entirely on your cynicism and assumptions)?

I'm naturally a cynic too, but I've yet to see anything in this that isn't anything more than what they've said it is. And there seems to be very little motivation for them to lie about it.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
As a shareholder I only care about Tim in so far as the job he's doing as CEO of Apple. At Apple it should be all about the products, not about Tim Cook.

Which, of course, is the point of the legislation in the first place - that it's about his ability to do the job, not about his personal life. Which, in turn, is why it needs such strong advocacy.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Of course a bill would be made after Tim around sex orientation, even though light came that he is gay...

I find that interesting together like like spam and ham.

Just find it wired of all the people, he would say that, now we know the truth from him

The above makes no sense whatsoever. Grammatically or otherwise.

Tim Cook came out for the same reason Ellen DeGeneres, Zach Quinto and many others came out: to live their life proudly and to show others they're not alone.

As he's one of the most highly positioned business people (who happens to be gay), and an Alabama native, Todd has sought to leverage his name and his very public coming out in order to promote and advocate for her bill. Which he's agreed to. And it's worked. Even the controversy (apparently somehow there's "controversy") over the original declining has raised the profile of her bill, before his name was even formally affixed to it. You seem to be under the misconception it was somehow made by or for him - he doesn't need it, he works and lives in California, and did you not miss the whole thing where someone tried to distance him and Apple from it?

How is any of that "wired"?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Eh? :confused: America confuses me. I cannot be the only one who doesn't understand how this came to be.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
These "news" items are getting a bit boring and only cause issues between members. It's almost like MacRumors is pushing an agenda.

In any case, I personally don't give a rats ass about the sexual preference of Tim Cook, Apple's stance on discrimination and what not. Just continue focusing on making the the best damn iPhones, iPads and computers. It seems the more Apple gets distracted, the less they innovate... and don't get me started on their quality control over the past few years.

Quite frankly I think Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave. Apple needs to get back on track with what is really important for the company.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Now now. Xerox was amply compensated for its disclosures, as per the agreement they agreed-to.

Given Xerox's abysmal record of commercializing its own innovations, there's a good likelihood that the mouse and GUI would've withered and blown away if kept within the hallowed halls of PARC, anyway.

Also, Jobs was tipped off to go to Xerox to look for these inventions because many of the PARC employees left PARC to become Apple employees. In fact, the guy behind the whole thing worked on the GUI/Mouse project.

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2007
Steve Jobs would not have spent precious time and energy philandering around promoting politically explosive causes. He was all about the product. Tim Cook doesn't have a shadow of the vision or focus of his predecessor.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
As a shareholder I only care about Tim in so far as the job he's doing as CEO of Apple. At Apple it should be all about the products, not about Tim Cook.

Do you support corporate personhood? If so, I find it highly ironic that you are willing to condemn actual humans for being human. Anyone who reduces a company to merely its share price is, well, probably not deserving of personhood himself.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Am I missing something here? Tim Cook tells other corporations 'Don't discriminate against gays and lesbians and fill-in-the-blank' and he gets legislation named after him.?.?.

This legislation is in Alabama. Tim Cook was born in Alabama and spoke out against discrimination (in Alabama) in his speech when he was inducted to the Alabama Academy of Honor. So he is quite strongly connected with this Alabama legislation. If it was, just for example, in Florida, it would probably not named after him, but maybe after some famous person born in Florida.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Except homosexuality isn't a choice, so you can't just become homosexual. Would you prefer gay people repress their natural sexuality and force themselves to have heterosexual sex, even if they can't get it up, just to satisfy the likes of you? Your sister is pro-choice and pro-marriage? Sounds like a smart gal.
My sister is hardly pro-marriage, of any kind.

I would prefer that we didn't worship homosexuality. The worship is weird. The people can do what they want, I don't get the reaction to them.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
The only problem with all this way of thinking is that if everyone is either homosexual or killed before birth, there soon won't be any humans left. My extreme leftist sister would be pleased.

See, LGBT folks do not demand that everyone be like them, while homophobes do. See the difference?

----------

[/COLOR]Wouldn't it be hilarious if one of the letters in his name would be a "c" instead of an "o"? ;) :eek: :D

I guess you probably don't understand that that kind of snarky, childish joke is precisely why a high profile figure like Tim is necessary.

But I guess the world needs mental 12 year-olds.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

I'm also a shareholder. This IS about the product. By promoting equality, Cook and Apple ensure that the best people irregardless of gender, gender preference or anything else can bring the most value to the organization without being discrimated against or being cut off from development prematurely. That benefits the product.

I have worked for 10 years in Germany, a country where homosexuality is less accepted than in The Netherlands. A world class accountant that I worked with struggled to grow in his company because it was known that he was homosexual.

I'm currently working as a consultant for a startup, where the inventor used to be a man, and is now a woman. She is also a jury member on a Dutch show about inventions. A brilliant person, but the amount of problems that she has had to go through to get where she is now is beyond ridiculous, just because she is different. You wouldn't believe the amount of harassment she is exposed to now that she has become a public person through the TV show. It is absolutely sickening.

So, this is about the product. It ensures that the best people can achieve their potential without being hindered by other people's opinion about their personal choices or natural preferences. In turn we as consumers get the best products.

Last edited:

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Except people do not chose their race, sex, or sexual orientation whereas bigots chose to be bigots. Social conservatives have been on the wrong side of history is almost every case. Western courts around the world keep striking down socially backwards laws every year

There are many choices made by people that result in discriminatory behavior. Whether it is a choice, genetic, or simply a victim of circumstance is irrelevant.

For instance, you are choosing to make bigoted statements about social conservatives. You are trying to justify it as acceptable because it was "their choice". It is YOUR choice, too. By your own standard, you now deserve the same kind of discrimination. Your only defense is that you are somehow allowed to make that choice, but they aren't.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
There are many choices made by people that result in discriminatory behavior. Whether it is a choice, genetic, or simply a victim of circumstance is irrelevant.

For instance, you are choosing to make bigoted statements about social conservatives. You are trying to justify it as acceptable because it was "their choice". It is YOUR choice, too. By your own standard, you now deserve the same kind of discrimination. Your only defense is that you are somehow allowed to make that choice, but they aren't.

That is your opinion and entitled to it! Some people think that rape is justified too and like to blame the victims. No interracial marriage, death to gays, forcing rape victims to have babies, letting women die that require an abortion, blaming rape victims, and condoning genocide are all values of social conservatives. If being closed minded about these positions make me a bigot, than i'm proud to be one.

'U.S. Senate candidate Representative Todd Akin of Missouri, who stated that pregnancy rarely occurs as a result of what he called "legitimate rape."'

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
That is your opinion and entitled to it! Some people think that rape is justified too and like to blame the victims. No interracial marriage, death to gays, forcing rape victims to have babies, letting women die that require an abortion, blaming rape victims, and condoning genocide are all values of social conservatives. If being closed minded about these positions make me a bigot, than i'm proud to be one.

'U.S. Senate candidate Representative Todd Akin of Missouri, who stated that pregnancy rarely occurs as a result of what he called "legitimate rape."'
Spoken like a true Canadian who has no idea what he's talking about.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
My sister is hardly pro-marriage, of any kind.

I would prefer that we didn't worship homosexuality. The worship is weird. The people can do what they want, I don't get the reaction to them.

Where the **** is this worshiping? So we are allowed to kiss in public and rub it into homosexual peoples faces but God forbid of Homosexual people ask for the same right! It's worshiping they say...

----------

Spoken like a true Canadian who has no idea what he's talking about.

What wrong did he say huh? You embarrassed by your stupid ass politicians or do you actually believe them? (Which would be even more frightening.

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
The above makes no sense whatsoever. Grammatically or otherwise.

Tim Cook came out for the same reason Ellen DeGeneres, Zach Quinto and many others came out: to live their life proudly and to show others they're not alone.

As he's one of the most highly positioned business people (who happens to be gay), and an Alabama native, Todd has sought to leverage his name and his very public coming out in order to promote and advocate for her bill. Which he's agreed to. And it's worked. Even the controversy (apparently somehow there's "controversy") over the original declining has raised the profile of her bill, before his name was even formally affixed to it. You seem to be under the misconception it was somehow made by or for him - he doesn't need it, he works and lives in California, and did you not miss the whole thing where someone tried to distance him and Apple from it?

How is any of that "wired"?

Not having anything against but it IS a coincidence to me since this is the first time i see this...

It may not be to others. I've had my view.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
How much did your fellow Texan, W know about war? The world now has ISIS thanks to you guys that think they know everything!

What wrong did he say huh? You embarrassed by your stupid ass politicians or do you actually believe them? (Which would be even more frightening.

What I find more interesting is that you actually believe what the media is shoving down your throat. That's more frightening than anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.