Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple in Mobile Music Negotiations... for WWDC?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

NYTimes' Technology blog reports that Apple is currently in active negotiations with music labels about providing more mobile music content on their iTunes store.

One executive quoted specifically states that "[Apple wants] a big launch in June", presumably referring to the Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) scheduled to start on June 9th 2008. However, since negotiations only started a few weeks ago, the deals may not be in place in time for a WWDC announcement.

Apple reportedly wants to expand its Ringtone library and introduce the sale of "Answer Tones". Answer Tones are customized sounds played to callers instead of the traditional ringing sound.

Another area of negotiation is the distribution of iTunes songs over the cellular network. For now, the iPhone allows you to purchase iTunes music only over Wi-fi networks. This had been thought to be a limitation of the slower EDGE data network, but it appears this mobile music distribution must be specifically negotiated with the record labels. Traditionally, these over-the-air cellular music sales have carried a premium over the traditional internet distribution, and the music labels are requesting a higher price for these sales. The expected addition of faster 3G data service on the upcoming iPhone will certainly increase consumer demand for over-the-air iTunes downloads.

Article Link

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
instead of more songs to choose as my ringtones, i'd really appreciate it if apple were to come out with more traditional ringtones. you know, like the one they use in the ads.

Comment

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Sounds like Apple have a Consumer Event planned for either just before or
just after WWDC. I'd pick just before as the best bet...
then again get everyone to WWDC and the end of the Keynote is Steve dropping hints of another event "real soon"

To much non-developer stuff here for it to be at WWDC.
I guess it depends on the best way to play the hype

Comment

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
I am sure most countries in the EU with iphones would be just happy to have any ringtones. I love my phones but I just wish apple would work on getting more services to those who dont yet even have some of the basics....

And what happend to apple redcing the cost of itunes in the UK

Comment

admiraldennis

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2002
Boston, MA
Ugh, answer tones suck. There is nothing worse than hearing ****** loud music over a crappy cell phone connection when a standard ringing tone would be far more effective.

Comment

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
I hate ringtones*. I hate hearing them. I hate the idea of paying for one. I hate them hate them hate them.

What is the point? Is anyone not annoyed when hearing a squawky compressed version of a song bleat out in the middle of a crowded room? I mean, if you like the song, you're annoyed it is so crappy sounding and played s short. If you hate the song, you're annoyed you have to listen to it. If you haven't heard it before, you aren't able to give it a good listen.

The only thing more annoying is the "let me sit here and jam to my ringtone" dork.

Did I mention I hate ringtones? You know what happens if I call you and instead of just subjecting everyone in your room to your ring tone, you also subject me to a static-laden clip of "Baby Got Back"? Yeah, that's right: I don't call you any more.

* "Ringtones" are here defined as any of the following:

• A snippet of a larger work, typically a popular song that I never liked
  • Some ethnic or tribal jam, which qualifies under the terms of this rant after the second listen, because, honestly, I've heard a few good ones, the first time. You better change it before it rings again though.
  • Inhuman synthesized voice announcing the name of the caller as entered into your address book. Not so innately annoying, but I shudder to think of what a poorly-thought-out address book entry for a significant other might announce.

Specifically not included are "ringtones" which actually sound like a traditional or modern phone ringing.

Comment

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
I have never bought music over the air yet -- but the more extensive the possibilities the better. Do you guys buy over the air???

Comment

PLiK

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
So is Big Music going to charge me more for a CD if I drive my own car to a music store instead of taking the bus?

What difference does it make to Big Music if I download a song over wi-fi or a cell network?

Comment

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
I don't see how answer tones are going to work - it's not your phone that produces the ringing sound, it's the phone operator (normally your own, as the line isn't active until the other end answers).

Only two possibilities I can think of:

1. The iphone answers the call immediately and begins playing muzak down the line, costing the caller money even if you don't answer. Doesn't work if the iphone is switched off or out of range of course. End users will hate this.. I certainly wouldn't call someone with such a system as I don't see why I should pay to have crap played at me.
2. The operator has special answer system for iphones, which would be expensive for them to setup and presumably only work within a single operator (otherwise you'd have all the cross licensing stuff to deal with). Can't see what the financial incentive for them to implement this would be, and precisely why they would limit it to iphones.

Comment

cwcarr

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
Why charge more for over-the-air iTunes?

Music over the mobile network (not wi-fi) is inevitable and I'm sure it will happen - I cannot see however why prices should be any different. Exactly how does it cost the record companies any more to sell a track via iTunes on someone's iPhone when it is connected to a mobile network, than when it is connected to a wi-fi network? Charging for more this method of sale is simply ripping consumers off because the record companies think they can get away with it.

One of the beauties of a device such as the iPhone is its always-connected capability. It should be seamless from the user's point of view as to which connection method they are using.

Ultimately I believe the very fact that there is also the wi-fi option will mean that any price difference will simply hinder sales as people wait until they are within range of a wi-fi network before making purchases. As long as consumers have this choice, and the cost in convenience is not that great (really, who needs to buy that track this very instant?), the sales numbers will never really take off.

About 8

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Uhhh...

how do you set up an answer tone?

And does a ring tone take priority over an answer tone or do they both play at once or what?

It seems like people could prank call without even needing the other person to pick up... they just set their answer tone to be something ridiculous and call away...

Rick Roll everyone and they can't do anything about it.

Comment

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The "Answer Tones" seems pretty cool. Also, the EDGE information is interesting, but if Apple sets it up with higher prices, then it is terrible.

In regards to the music industry, I really wish Apple would finish the iTunes Plus nonsense. They are the #1 distributer of music in the US, and it is time to use that leverage to force Universal and Time Warner on board.

Comment

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Answer tones have been around for a while, folks. I don't have a clue how they work, but they are a fact. Why the heck would you even doubt something like that? Because you can't figure it out you think that Apple and AT&T can't either?:p

If you don't believe me get access to Google's GrandCentral or make some calls to Japan. Or call people in the US where it is also available on some cell phones.

The thing that people have hit on though, they are annoying. It's like being put on hold right away a fed some one's annoying taste in music.

Comment

flashy-cat

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
UK
I hate ringtones*. I hate hearing them. I hate the idea of paying for one. I hate them hate them hate them.

What is the point? Is anyone not annoyed when hearing a squawky compressed version of a song bleat out in the middle of a crowded room? I mean, if you like the song, you're annoyed it is so crappy sounding and played s short. If you hate the song, you're annoyed you have to listen to it. If you haven't heard it before, you aren't able to give it a good listen.

The only thing more annoying is the "let me sit here and jam to my ringtone" dork.

Did I mention I hate ringtones? You know what happens if I call you and instead of just subjecting everyone in your room to your ring tone, you also subject me to a static-laden clip of "Baby Got Back"? Yeah, that's right: I don't call you any more.

• Some ethnic or tribal jam, which qualifies under the terms of this rant after the second listen, because, honestly, I've heard a few good ones, the first time. You better change it before it rings again though.
  • Inhuman synthesized voice announcing the name of the caller as entered into your address book. Not so innately annoying, but I shudder to think of what a poorly-thought-out address book entry for a significant other might announce.

Specifically not included are "ringtones" which actually sound like a traditional or modern phone ringing.

Couldn't agree more :)

Comment

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Why are they so stupid

The music industry seems to just try to do whatever it can to destroy itself.

Adapt or die, idiots.

Comment

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
I HATE answer tones :mad: I don't get the idea of listening to someone else's bad music taste while waiting for him/her to answer :confused:

Comment

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
I would love 'answer tones' if I could record my own....

See, I don't want to carry two phones, so I refused a work-issued one and use my own. I also keep my desk phone forwarded to my cell, so I'm (a) not tied to my desk, and (b) nobody can figure out exactly where I am when they call.

However, there's a company policy that your outgoing message has to be "This is <your name> at <company name>. Thank you for calling. I'm sorry I can't take your call blah blah yadda yadda..... Please visit our website at <URL>". I REFUSE to put that crap on my outgoing message on my personal cell, I don't even have my name there, I just use the default AT&T outgoing.

If I had the answer tones feature, I could assign the "company" outgoing message to the company caller ID (for calls forwarded from my desk) and to my boss's cell number, so it would create the illusion of having that as my outgoing message!

Comment

phinnaeus

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, but this post finally gave me the motivation to register. And so, to this I will only say one thing:

+1.

Comment

diamond.g

macrumors 604
Mar 20, 2007
Virginia
Ugh, answer tones suck. There is nothing worse than hearing ****** loud music over a crappy cell phone connection when a standard ringing tone would be far more effective.

I don't like the music ones either, but the one I did like was the one I had for my wife. It was something like "Your husband feels your call is important, he will be with you in a moment". I thought it was awesome (as did my wife...). Sprint had a bunch one for friends, family, mistress etc. I didn't like the music ones at all due to them sounding like crap.

Comment

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Wirelessly posted (PPC; 240x320; HTC_TyTN/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7))

I reckon it would be nearly as annoying as people who quote an entire lengthy post just to say things like 'I agree'.
Not as much a big deal on a desktop, but have you tried reading it on a cell phone? You have to keep clicking 'more' to find the end of the post, then when you've read 'I agree' '+1' etc, you have to keep pressing back to get to the next post. Would be nice if we can keep posts as lean as possible, no? After all I'm sure most of us here use cell phones and a good portion of us read mac rumors on them. Sorry about the rant, I have been biting my tongue on it for a bit though.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.