Apple in Talks With Florence and the Machine, Taylor Swift About Exclusive Beats Content

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 10, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple couldn't establish lower pricing for its upcoming music service to distinguish it from competing services, so the company is hoping to draw in subscribers by offering exclusive content. Apple has asked Florence and the Machine and a dozen other artists for exclusive deals to promote the upcoming music service, reports Bloomberg.

Apple is said to be in talks with Florence and the Machine about limited streaming rights to a track for the band's upcoming album in June, and Apple execs have also approached Taylor Swift and others in the hopes of establishing a deal. An exclusive deal with Taylor Swift could be a big win for Apple as she's opted to pull her music from some streaming services like Spotify. Such exclusives could bring in music-loving subscribers that might otherwise not pay for a music subscription.

[​IMG]
    The strategy is similar to a tactic employed by Jay-Z's recently relaunched music service Tidal, which also hopes to attract subscribers through content that can't be obtained elsewhere. At launch, Tidal released a new song from Beyonce, following it up with an exclusive song from Rihanna.

Exclusives could work to help Apple garner subscribers, but the company's most promising tool for gaining subscribers is its huge existing customer base. Millions of people own iPhones and iPads, and Apple can create a streaming music app that's heavily integrated within iTunes and installed on Apple devices automatically.

As we've heard in previous rumors, Apple is working to completely revamp Beats Music to turn it into an all new subscription music service. It may gain a new name, says Bloomberg, and it will cost $9.99 per month for individuals, with a family plan available for $14.99.

Apple may be planning to unveil its new streaming music service at its upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Article Link: Apple in Talks With Florence and the Machine, Taylor Swift About Exclusive Beats Content

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

Sorry but I'm just not willing to rent content, especially considering my data plan's limitations.

3. anthony11 macrumors 6502

Wouldn't Flava Flav be more appropriate for Beats than Flo?

4. TWSS37 macrumors 65816

If there's one thing people love, it's "heavy integration within iTunes and automatically installed on Apple devices"! :apple:

5. Mums Suspended

Mums

It feels like hip-hop is finally out of fashion.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Meh. I hate exclusive content from companies that aren't content providers.

8. tasset macrumors 6502a

I can live with Apple's often compromises in hardware to push technology forward. But I really have to shake my head in disappointment at their decisions to throw money at circus monkeys like U2, Iovene/Dre, this rumor du jour, yesterday's notion of caving to ABC's bloated channel packages. I always hope they lean towards what the consumer wants and let the media companies/artists dangle in the wind until they come around. However we end up getting more of the same while Jony is off rubbing knobs with Karl Lagerfeld.

9. patrickcwelsh macrumors member

I thought iTunes was supposed to pull people away from illegal downloading with a simple one-time purchase so you can own the song. Now to hear certain exclusive songs you have to pay monthly to rent it. I can't afford to have multiple subscriptions to multiple steaming music services, so I guess I'll be missing out on new content somewhere. Makes me miss Limewire.

10. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

I feel like getting exclusives is secondary. Hopefully Apple's main focus now is on improving and simplifying the entire music listening, discovery and music library management experience across all their devices.

11. misterpip macrumors member

12. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Well, that's boring.

How about more contemporary and relevant artists like Adele, Bette Midler, Queen, The Black Eyed Peas, Daft Punk?

13. catanalogy macrumors newbie

hahahaha, beat me too it.

Swing and a miss, Apple, yet again.

14. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Not so sure 'exclusive content' will be the best content; Target has been doing that trick for years (bonus disc only for Target), it's usually remixes and tracks which didn't make the main cut

I'm surprised how much I enjoy Florence and the Machine music :cool:

15. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

And this is where the "machine" which controls the music you listen to gets stronger and greedier. The music rental services will snag up popular artists and control who they release their content to.

16. Joe HS macrumors 6502

Can we just move on, as a society, from exclusive content?

17. daftpunker909 macrumors regular

All these companies trying to get exclusive content makes me really wonder if people are attracted to a service based on exclusive content. It doesn't appear very appealing to me to have access to an album of just a few artists (that might not even be that interesting to me) a bit earlier. The libraries of all these platforms are pretty much the same.
    What's really more appealing to me is the social aspect of spotify for example. Sharing playlists with friends is super easy. Knowing Apple's inability to have good social features, I'd say that's what they should focus on.

18. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

Neither a significant loss to streaming services.

Don't need more screaming banshees or petulant pop stars in music these days.

I think Apple has more to worry about Tribal then whether to get these two on board with Beats.

19. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

I'm sorry to hear that Florence and the Machine may have sold out :(

Great band back in the day.

20. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

21. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Beats music is so far behind spotify in features and compatibility with other gadgets it's going to take a miracle for Apple to get people to switch

The only I'd switch would be full iOS integration that makes the spotify app seem like antiquated junk

So basically, not happening

22. Lictor macrumors 6502

I don't want exclusive content, I wan't exclusive quality...

My current streaming provider currently has 320kbit/s as a base offer. They have FLAC lossless streaming content as a premium option. They're preparing to move to HD Audio. They can play on my phone, on my Windows and OSX computers and they play on my TV through XBMC. They have an extended jazz, rock, blues and world music catalog.

That's what I'm interested in : can Apple offer all that at a decent price ? If so, I might be inclined to switch. I really don't care about having a handful of exclusive albums...

23. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

24. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

No she didn't. Her old music is there for archival purposes, but 1989 isn't. She also didn't attend Jay-Z's Tidal inaugural party.

25. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Definitely not. Let me draw you a quick, crude, ascii venn diagram:

Code:
    (people who love music)             (people who listen to Taylor Swift)
    Notice the utter lack of overlap.