Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
LOL There was a news story in the UK a few years ago about some local government authority re-naming Christmas as "Winterval" :rolleyes: You couldn't make it up!

Birmingham.

The usual councilers thinking the word 'Christmas' would upset the ethentic minorities. As usual, no body bothered to ask them. In fact, the ethentic minority leaders said they don't care if the word 'Christmas' is used ( as is almost always the case in these scenarios ).

This kind of PC crap happens all the time.

Councilers and other government officials thinking they know better, when, in fact they know Jack ****.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
This was a joint settlement...

Can someone provide a better explanation of how Apple Corps, Inc. got anything out of this deal?

Since the terms are confidential, it's difficult to say what they got, but since Apple Inc. walked away with the Apple name, I'd say they got paid a good sum for the name and perhaps some preferential terms for putting their content on ITMS.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
For the casual listener, the downloads will be fine, but probably not the sonic quality that the Beatles albums deserve. There will probably be several issues of the remastered CDs. First something like the LOVE upgrade CD package which will include ONE disc of each album mixed in stereo AND Mono as they were VERY different mixes, even up to the very rare White album MONO mix.

A second disc will probably include a DVD of the 5.1 surround mix. This will be STUNNING if you have the set-up at home. The LOVE Soundtrack is not perfect but the 5.1 (and the stereo) kicks ass over any Beatles issue to date. The sonics are so beautiful, crisp, clear.

I am a first gen Beat fan who collects big time, and if done right, this collection...series of reissues will be amazing. There are a total of 12 original albums plus separate singles that were never on those albums (now out in the form of two PAST MASTER CD volumes). which could probably fit on one more disc.

There is a box set of all of the British CDs. You can probably find it on AMAZON. I for one would love for Apple/EMI to issue a limited edition box set of the entire remastered catalogue first. Maybe exclusive, the only way to buy for a couple of months and then sell the individual discs. There would probably be two options for each: Single CD only versions OR Two disc CD/DVD versions....

I'm glad they will be on iTunes, but again for me CDs are they way to go. The Beatles almost invented the album as something that wasn't just a couple of hit songs with the rest being filler.

They were also the very first Band that could get away with releasing albums WITHOUT their name on the cover. The first was Rubber Soul and in didn't have the Beatles written on the front....

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Since the terms are confidential, it's difficult to say what they got, but since Apple Inc. walked away with the Apple name, I'd say they got paid a good sum for the name and perhaps some preferential terms for putting their content on ITMS.

They now have the rights to use the Apple name WITHOUT ANY limitations. Prior to this the Beatles Apple Corp had music record label release rights. Apple Inc could not actually record and release product. Now They don't have to worry in the future...what might be invented later. Both Apples did very well. The Beatles Apple probably got 50 to 100 millions which is very fair for both companies.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Apple Corps was created by the Beatles to manage their own affairs (among other things) and still exists to manage the licensing of Beatles music and other related Beatles products

From Wikipedia:

"Unlike a mere 'vanity label', Apple Records developed an extremely eclectic roster of their own, releasing records by artists as diverse as Indian sitar guru Ravi Shankar, Welsh easy listening songstress Mary Hopkin, the power-pop band Badfinger, classical music composer John Tavener, soul singer Billy Preston, the Modern Jazz Quartet, and even London's Radha Krsna Temple. A shortlived subsidiary, Zapple Records, was intended to release spoken word and avant garde records, but folded after just two releases: Lennon's and Yoko Ono's Life with the Lions, and Harrison's Electronic Sound."

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Let's call a truce, really. This silly argument started with your post, number 108 in this thread, which was quite aggressive in tone in reply to Amdahl's earlier post about the phrase "Holiday 2007".
Actually, if you look back, it is the second such reply. The first was an explanation of the term, to which the response was "you're wrong and I don't believe you, even though I clearly don't know what I'm talking about." The response belied a failure to read and to accept what literally hundreds of millions of people on at least three continents know to be the case, and for no particular reason. A truce is fine by me, but the whole argument you initiated is based on nothing but perceived slight.
some people may find that offensive, and - dare I say it - confirming the stereotype (i.e. by definition not true in all cases) that Americans try to win arguments by shouting louder than the other person.
The tone is exasperated, not aggressive, as again, an explanation of the term was offered previously and flatly rejected because the "dictionary didn't say so." Jumping to conclusions about intent shows a far more egregious stereotype: an ignorant Internet forum user. How someone can "shout louder" in online writing without using all caps or giant font size is beyond me.
Of course the websites you list are American - but you didn't originally say "news sources reporting on Apple" - perhaps you should be careful of your own written expression before accusing other people of misunderstanding things.
Once again, you jump to conclusion. My only reference was to the original news sites reporting the Zune Phone's release--all of which were US-based. Had you bothered to ask for clarification before declaring vindication of your own preexisting prejudice, maybe you would have avoided the offense.
If you were really trying to offer explanations to Amdahl, rather than belittle him, you would have written "In American English, "holiday" is often taken to refer to the American Winter Holiday season".
If you had read the entire thread, you would see that this already occurred.
Now, what implications do you think the new Trademark Agreement will have for Apple Inc? Will we see Apple bypassing the traditional record companies and allowing musicians to take a larger percentage of the profits from their music?
I don't believe there are any implications for music. Apple still neither owns nor controls any record labels, and it has no distribution agreement in agency. Apple Corps is still owned by EMI and is still a wholly independent organization. If Apple Corps begins to sign new artists and approaches Apple, Inc. with a favorable deal, it might lead to artists retaining a greater percentage of iTunes sales proceeds.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
man...i just can't wait for the remastered white album to appear on the itunes store (hopefully in lossless!).

look ouuut!! it's helta skellllltaaaa!! :D
Oh man, I just realised that this may mean that we will see remastered Beatles if they do come to the iTMS. WHICH WOULD BE AWESOME! I have enough Beatles, but if they brought in remasters, I'd be 'forced' to get 'em :cool:

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
A truce is fine by me, but the whole argument you initiated is based on nothing but perceived slight.
Well, if you look back in the thread, it's your bizarre response to the term stereotype that "initiated" your argument with me as opposed to your earlier one with Amdahl.

The tone is exasperated, not aggressive, as again, an explanation of the term was offered previously and flatly rejected because the "dictionary didn't say so." Jumping to conclusions about intent shows a far more egregious stereotype: an ignorant Internet forum user. How someone can "shout louder" in online writing without using all caps or giant font size is beyond me.
Well there you go. The subtleties of discourse must be lost on you then.

Once again, you jump to conclusion. My only reference was to the original news sites reporting the Zune Phone's release
No it wasn't. Selective amnesia here. You clearly remember what you wanted to type rather than what you actually typed. That's fine, we all make mistakes, but don't try to deny it repeatedly.

Had you bothered to ask for clarification before declaring vindication of your own preexisting prejudice, maybe you would have avoided the offense.
Actually all I did was mention the term 'stereotype' - which you still don't seem to understand (i.e. by definition it is not true for all cases) and which for some reason you are very offended by. :confused:

Honestly, you write an unclear post and then spend the rest of your time having a go at someone who pulled you up on it. Waste of time.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
'The holiday season' was created by communist bigots.

All that means is in time for the 2007 holiday season. They were not referring to Martin Luther King Day, nor to Valentine's Day, nor to any other holiday between now and November. It's common knowledge; I'm not making this up.

Yeah, and your point? Most news sources, as well as Microsoft and Apple, are American companies.

Does it fall between Thanksgiving and New Year's? No. When you make "holiday" a proper noun, it refers to the American Winter Holiday season.
Your wiki citation says:
In the United States and periodically Canada, the winter holiday season is known as a period of time surrounding Christmas that was formed in order to embrace all cultural and religious celebration rather than only Christian celebrations.
So, the 'holiday season' was created specifically so the holidays contained therein could be subjugated and degraded. That is why MLK isn't included; communists want to celebrate him, even though many people don't. Who was it that decided to do degrade the Christian holidays in favor of holidays no one celebrates? I remember no election on the issue; I can recall no Act of Congress.

'The holiday season' is purely the creation of cultural marxists.

If the goal is not to celebrate Christian holidays, then why is Apple splashing Saint Valentine's Day all over the Apple Store? Guess if folks don't realize it is a Christian holiday and they can make money off it, they'll put it front and center. I suppose you could create another 'holiday season' consisting of MLK, Saint Valentines, and Mardi Gras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.