Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airpods-4-250x263.jpg
During today's earnings call covering the third fiscal quarter of 2017, Apple CEO Tim Cook briefly mentioned the company's super popular hard-to-come-by wireless earphones, the AirPods.

According to Cook, production capacity has been bumped up, but because of the high level of demand, Apple is still unable to make enough to reach supply/demand balance.
We're also seeing incredible enthusiasm for AirPods. 98 percent customer satisfaction based on Creative Strategy's survey. We have increased production capacity for AirPods and are working very hard to get them to customers as quickly as we can, but we are still not able to meet the strong level of demand.
Priced at $159, Apple's AirPods are wire-free earphones that feature Bluetooth and an Apple-designed W1 chip for a better connection and simple transfers between different devices. AirPods are equipped with an infrared sensor to detect when they're in the ear, and they support a range of touch-based gestures.

Since launch, AirPod supplies have been severely constrained and ship out from the online Apple Store in the U.S. in six weeks. That six week mark has not budged since December, but Apple retail stores occasionally have them in stock as do third-party retailers like Best Buy.

Article Link: Apple Increased AirPods Production Capacity, But Still Unable to Meet Demand

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
Ordered mine on July 4th. ETD is Aug 22nd.
I'd love to know how many Apple has sold to date if they still can't cope with the demand.
Best selling headphones of all time?

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
Damn it, just lost one of mine on a playgound on holidays... . Will have to wait for while to fix that then.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
What’s Best Buy’s secret for getting them? I ordered a set on around 7/18 and they shipped around the 25th and arrived a couple days later; Apple is still quoting a 6 week shipping or in store pickup.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Jeez, I still haven't been able to get my hands on them. Granted, I haven't been following the stores' stocks like a hawk but every time I check, the expected delivery date is bumped back.

My goal was to pick them up as soon as they became widely available but at this point I 'm wondering if it's better just to wait for gen 2.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
"they support a range of touch-based gestures" - well, they support one touch-based gesture: double-tap, and it either invokes Siri, or it pauses your music.

I ordered mine in the 20-minute window they were available in the UK back in December 2016. Got them on 19th December. Haven't used anything else since. They are amazing. If you can afford them, place an order and wait a few weeks. You won't regret it.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Surprise me the fact that there is no real competitor por AirPods. They are a genuine piece of tech that only Apple can do™

And they look ridiculous.... probably why no one is knocking them off.

And yet another ear bud from Apple that is not designed to actually stay in the ear. Every earbud I've gotten with an iPhone still sits in the boxes in the closet unused. I need them to stay in the ear or they are useless.

panangi

macrumors member
May 25, 2016
Toronto, ON Canada
I was able to buy them in-store when I took a chance and gone in to place an order with them instead of doing it online. It was my lucky day that they had just got in 8 pcs of airpods stock and they had them readily available. Its been a couple of months since then that I've been using them. I'm very pleased with them. Wasn't sure if they would stay in place when I workout. They've proved me wrong... They stay put even as I run my 5K with no issues. So pleased with them. I had a beatsx unit which I passed it onto my cousin as soon as I got these. No regrets! :)

Good Job making these Airpods :apple:!

Reactions: Douglas B

Nabby51

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
I know people complain about the fit but if standard earpods fit you then airpods will too.

I've had my airpods for a few months now and even though I no longer have an iPhone. They still work fine with my galaxy s8+. I have looked into alternatives but nothing else comes close in this price range. I have tried a bunch of wireless earbuds on Amazon that cost around $100 but none are as good of an overall package/experience as the airpods. Even when paired to an Android phone.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
And they look ridiculous.... probably why no one is knocking them off.

And yet another ear bud from Apple that is not designed to actually stay in the ear. Every earbud I've gotten with an iPhone still sits in the boxes in the closet unused. I need them to stay in the ear or they are useless.

Ah yes, the fashion-forward tastemakers on the Macrumors forums. Tell me, what haute-couture headphones do you fancy instead?

Jolson247

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
I want to call BS on this but of course I don't know. How, after 6 months, is it not possible to catch up? This seems to happen with a lot of electronics lately. Is it really that demand outstrips supply? Or are the companies hedging their bets and producing smaller amounts. Or are they creating more demand with lower supply? Or are there supply chain issues?

McFlyOz

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
Key Largo
Got these as a present for Chrimbo. I love them for the ease of connectivity. I got over the silly look and wear them when I can. Just can’t use them for exercise due to their not sitting in my ears. Apart from my bizarre ear shaped gripe, I HIGHLY recommend these bad boys whenever you can get them.

DO IT! DO IT NOOOOAAAW!!!

Sarlacc

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Got mine at the Apple Store the first week of release.

They are the BEST Apple product that Apple has made in years. Front design to function to integration with other devices.

And while I don't like the wired Apple buds. I really like these. They stay in my ears no problems both at the gym and on my bike.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I want to call BS on this but of course I don't know. How, after 6 months, is it not possible to catch up? This seems to happen with a lot of electronics lately. Is it really that demand outstrips supply? Or are the companies hedging their bets and producing smaller amounts. Or are they creating more demand with lower supply? Or are there supply chain issues?
I think companies don't want to invest in infrastructure for a new product category. They can always ramp things up.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I thought they were artificially limiting the supply. I guess not. Are they really that great guys? How comparable are they to the quality of the lightning EarPods? What is real battery life like? Also how much of an impact does it have on the battery life of a 7 plus for example? Equal or less to an Apple Watch? Do you think the 2nd gen is worth the wait if one doesn't have a pair by now? It's already almost a year after the keynote.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I thought they were artificially limiting the supply. I guess not. Are they really that great guys? How comparable are they to the quality of the lightning EarPods? What is real battery life like? Do you think the 2nd gen is worth the wait if one doesn't have a pair by now? It's already almost a year after the keynote.
How often do they release new headphones though?

Reactions: R3k

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
How often do they release new headphones though?

They've only had three changes since the first iPhone. The original buds, the 3.5mm EarPods and the lightning EarPods. This I consider a separate product like the watch with its own SoC.
There must be a W2 chip and a 2nd gen in their pipeline.

Reactions: hotgril

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
What’s Best Buy’s secret for getting them? I ordered a set on around 7/18 and they shipped around the 25th and arrived a couple days later; Apple is still quoting a 6 week shipping or in store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.