Apple Increased AirPods Production Capacity, But Still Unable to Meet Demand

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    During today's earnings call covering the third fiscal quarter of 2017, Apple CEO Tim Cook briefly mentioned the company's super popular hard-to-come-by wireless earphones, the AirPods.

According to Cook, production capacity has been bumped up, but because of the high level of demand, Apple is still unable to make enough to reach supply/demand balance.
    Priced at $159, Apple's AirPods are wire-free earphones that feature Bluetooth and an Apple-designed W1 chip for a better connection and simple transfers between different devices. AirPods are equipped with an infrared sensor to detect when they're in the ear, and they support a range of touch-based gestures.

Since launch, AirPod supplies have been severely constrained and ship out from the online Apple Store in the U.S. in six weeks. That six week mark has not budged since December, but Apple retail stores occasionally have them in stock as do third-party retailers like Best Buy.

Article Link: Apple Increased AirPods Production Capacity, But Still Unable to Meet Demand

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

and people were laughing their butts off right when Apple announced the price. looking at you MKBHD

3. Seoras macrumors regular

Seoras

Ordered mine on July 4th. ETD is Aug 22nd.
    I'd love to know how many Apple has sold to date if they still can't cope with the demand.
    Best selling headphones of all time?

4. chetttos macrumors newbie

Surprise me the fact that there is no real competitor por AirPods. They are a genuine piece of tech that only Apple can do™

5. Benjamid macrumors newbie

Benjamid

Damn it, just lost one of mine on a playgound on holidays... . Will have to wait for while to fix that then.

6. YankeeSR23 macrumors member

What’s Best Buy’s secret for getting them? I ordered a set on around 7/18 and they shipped around the 25th and arrived a couple days later; Apple is still quoting a 6 week shipping or in store pickup.

7. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Jeez, I still haven't been able to get my hands on them. Granted, I haven't been following the stores' stocks like a hawk but every time I check, the expected delivery date is bumped back.

My goal was to pick them up as soon as they became widely available but at this point I 'm wondering if it's better just to wait for gen 2.

8. iReality85 macrumors 6502

9. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

"they support a range of touch-based gestures" - well, they support one touch-based gesture: double-tap, and it either invokes Siri, or it pauses your music.

I ordered mine in the 20-minute window they were available in the UK back in December 2016. Got them on 19th December. Haven't used anything else since. They are amazing. If you can afford them, place an order and wait a few weeks. You won't regret it.

10. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

And they look ridiculous.... probably why no one is knocking them off.

And yet another ear bud from Apple that is not designed to actually stay in the ear. Every earbud I've gotten with an iPhone still sits in the boxes in the closet unused. I need them to stay in the ear or they are useless.

11. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68020

OldSchoolMacGuy

Seems the majority of MacRumors members thought they'd be a total failure and those that did buy them would lose them instantly.

12. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

If you’re in the UK, John Lewis always seem to have stock. Their website has said 10+ in stock for a while now. Plus you get a 2 year warranty, as with all electronics bought from John Lewis.

13. panangi macrumors newbie

panangi

I was able to buy them in-store when I took a chance and gone in to place an order with them instead of doing it online. It was my lucky day that they had just got in 8 pcs of airpods stock and they had them readily available. Its been a couple of months since then that I've been using them. I'm very pleased with them. Wasn't sure if they would stay in place when I workout. They've proved me wrong... They stay put even as I run my 5K with no issues. So pleased with them. I had a beatsx unit which I passed it onto my cousin as soon as I got these. No regrets! :)

Good Job making these Airpods :apple:!

14. b0nd18t macrumors 6502

b0nd18t

My god do I love my AirPods. They were in stock at Best Buy not long ago as posted on this site. Just pop them in your ear and you're good to go with no hassle. No a huge fan of the looks but whatever

15. Nabby51 macrumors newbie

I know people complain about the fit but if standard earpods fit you then airpods will too.

I've had my airpods for a few months now and even though I no longer have an iPhone. They still work fine with my galaxy s8+. I have looked into alternatives but nothing else comes close in this price range. I have tried a bunch of wireless earbuds on Amazon that cost around $100 but none are as good of an overall package/experience as the airpods. Even when paired to an Android phone.

16. jarman92 macrumors regular

Ah yes, the fashion-forward tastemakers on the Macrumors forums. Tell me, what haute-couture headphones do you fancy instead?

17. Jolson247 macrumors member

I want to call BS on this but of course I don't know. How, after 6 months, is it not possible to catch up? This seems to happen with a lot of electronics lately. Is it really that demand outstrips supply? Or are the companies hedging their bets and producing smaller amounts. Or are they creating more demand with lower supply? Or are there supply chain issues?

18. McFlyOz macrumors member

McFlyOz

Got these as a present for Chrimbo. I love them for the ease of connectivity. I got over the silly look and wear them when I can. Just can’t use them for exercise due to their not sitting in my ears. Apart from my bizarre ear shaped gripe, I HIGHLY recommend these bad boys whenever you can get them.

DO IT! DO IT NOOOOAAAW!!!

19. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

You can get a replacement for $69

20. Sarlacc macrumors member

Got mine at the Apple Store the first week of release.

They are the BEST Apple product that Apple has made in years. Front design to function to integration with other devices.

And while I don't like the wired Apple buds. I really like these. They stay in my ears no problems both at the gym and on my bike.

21. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I think companies don't want to invest in infrastructure for a new product category. They can always ramp things up.

22. lec0rsaire macrumors regular

I thought they were artificially limiting the supply. I guess not. Are they really that great guys? How comparable are they to the quality of the lightning EarPods? What is real battery life like? Also how much of an impact does it have on the battery life of a 7 plus for example? Equal or less to an Apple Watch? Do you think the 2nd gen is worth the wait if one doesn't have a pair by now? It's already almost a year after the keynote.

23. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

How often do they release new headphones though?

24. lec0rsaire macrumors regular

They've only had three changes since the first iPhone. The original buds, the 3.5mm EarPods and the lightning EarPods. This I consider a separate product like the watch with its own SoC.
    There must be a W2 chip and a 2nd gen in their pipeline.

25. YankeeSR23 macrumors member

What’s Best Buy’s secret for getting them? I ordered a set on around 7/18 and they shipped around the 25th and arrived a couple days later; Apple is still quoting a 6 week shipping or in store.