Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

113537-iphone_4_side_reflection.jpg

DigiTimes reports that Apple has raised their 1st Quarter 2011 iPhone shipment goals from 19 million units to 20-21 million units. This number reportedly includes 5-6 million CDMA iPhones:
The first-quarter shipment goal for WCDMA iPhones has been adjusted from 13 million units to 14-15 million units, the sources said. The shipment goal for CDMA iPhones, which will be launched in North America and Asia Pacific in the first quarter, is set at 5-6 million units, the sources added.
WCDMA refers to the UMTS standard that the current iPhone 4 uses, but the CDMA iPhones will be a separate model that will bring compatibility to Verzion in the U.S. and apparently to other carriers in Asia Pacific.

Verizon has long been rumored to be the next major U.S. carrier to see iPhone compatibility. The Verizon iPhone is believed to be coming to Verizon in the first quarter of 2011. Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg will be giving a keynote address at this year's Consumer Electronics Show on January 6th, 2011 at 8:30am.

Article Link: Apple Increases 1st Quarter iPhone Shipments to 21 Million, Including the Verizon iPhone?

fortetfn

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
It's been a long rumor for Verizon to carry the iphone. Is it really going to happen?

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
What if it doesn't happen, do we really need to keep the Verizon Rumor alive....
IMO: Verizon is on Android's bandwagon and have been making ads targeting the iPhone

But who knows. Business is Business
I just want these stupid YEARLY rumors to stop

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
There are Verizon iPhone rumors? wow, I had no idea.

Please dear god let this crap end. I hope Steve Jobs comes on stage at CES and says he'd rather take a rusty screw driver anally rather than make a CDMA iPhone.

Zonz

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
What if it doesn't happen, do we really need to keep the Verizon Rumor alive....
IMO: Verizon is on Android's bandwagon and have been making ads targeting the iPhone

Yes we do need to keep the rumor alive. Continuous rumors means that there is an extremely large public consumer interest in the Verizon Iphone. Apple will notice things like this. It will continue to motivate them to make the rumor become a reality.

And as far as I know, At&t has been pushing other phones besides the Iphone more recently. A sign of losing exclusivity I think. And Verizon has stopped all the "there's a map for that" adds haven't they?

BlkEagle

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
I will Jump at The GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE!!!

Folks,

One week to go before the Verizon CEO will give his opening keynotes!!! Wow, CEO of Verizon will be giving the keynote for the iPhone 4 instead of CEO of Apple! I will jump at the GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE if there is really a Verizon iPhone 4... if not you guys should continue to dream and drooolllllllllllllllll:D

ThomasJL

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
Why no T-Mobile 1700 MHz AWS iPhone?

I understand Apple desiring Verizon's large userbase, but it would be so much easier for Apple to add a 1700 MHz AWS band to their current iPhone than to redesign the entire thing for CDMA. Since Apple can do the former, why can't it do the latter?

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Yes we do need to keep the rumor alive. Continuous rumors means that there is an extremely large public consumer interest in the Verizon Iphone. Apple will notice things like this. It will continue to motivate them to make the rumor become a reality.

Great point.

Yes there have been rumors for a looong time, but never this consistently about agreeing timeframes. It seems obvious that January will bring the announcement of the verizon iPhone. Does anyone really doubt it at this point??

Last edited by a moderator:

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Not so fast

"Yes we do need to keep the rumor alive. Continuous rumors means that there is an extremely large public consumer interest in the Verizon Iphone. Apple will notice things like this. It will continue to motivate them to make the rumor become a reality.

And as far as I know, At&t has been pushing other phones besides the Iphone more recently. A sign of losing exclusivity I think. And Verizon has stopped all the "there's a map for that" adds haven't they?"

Verizon stopped the ads when AT&T sued Verizon in November, 2009. Has anyone considered writing a letter to Apple concerning the making of a special iPhone for Verizon? Viral rumors and guerilla tactics do not prove in any scientific way there is any real public interest in anything.

Last edited:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
One week to go. Then the new rumored release date for the iPhone on Verizon will be posted. June 2011 anyone?

I think it will be released very shortly after an announcment to prevent sales erosion.

Not that we need to keep it alive, but since it's pretty much inevitable that SOMEDAY Verizon will get it, the rumors will never die.

Imagine the uproar if Apple announces CDMA iPhones for Asia Pacific but not Verizon in the U.S.!

World War III

My gun is locked and loaded. ;)

I understand Apple desiring Verizon's large userbase, but it would be so much easier for Apple to add a 1700 MHz AWS band to their current iPhone than to redesign the entire thing for CDMA. Since Apple can do the former, why can't it do the latter?

Why exactly would they need to redesign the ENTIRE thing? Pretty sure 85% of the parts would remain the same. Only needs the radio changed and a new baseband.

Yes there have been rumors for a looong time, but never this consistently about agreeing timeframes.

This is what I've been saying and why I'll even go so far as to say I THINK it will happen.

It seems obvious that January will bring the announcement of the verizon iPhone. Does anyone really doubt it at this point??

I still won't go that far. YES, there is still doubt.

Verizon stopped the ads when AT&T sued Verizon in November, 2009.

Actually, that's not how it went down. AT&T sued, Verizon countered over the "more bars in more places". The judge didn't honor AT&T's request to pull Verizon's ad. AT&T dropped the lawsuit realizing that they wouldn't win. Verizon then dropped theirs in turn.

Has anyone considered writing a letter to Apple concerning the making of a special iPhone for Verizon? Viral rumors and guerilla tactics do not prove in any scientific way there is any real public interest in anything.

They don't prove anything, but CEOs and Boards can be swayed by public opinion. It's possible Apple would take a Verizon iPhone more seriously if they realized the demand was out there. It happens...very often. (And is usually followed by a company paying a bunch of consultants outlandish amounts of money to determine if there truly is a market for the product and how/when to go to market.)

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Would be shocked if this happened mid-cycle in the iPhone 4's projected life. Of course, it may be some desperate attempt to gain the upper hand against Android , which in my opinion, is a battle that Apple Consumer Electronics lost six months ago.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Would be shocked if this happened mid-cycle in the iPhone 4's projected life. Of course, it may be some desperate attempt to gain the upper hand against Android , which in my opinion, is a battle that Apple Consumer Electronics lost six months ago.

Why do people keep think apple need to "win" the "war" they don't and won't

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Or the timing would help balance manufacturing demands.

thevofl

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
I don't think the Verizon iPhone rumor hysteria has anything on the Powerbook-G5-next-Tuesday-rumor hysteria from six years ago.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I don't think the Verizon iPhone rumor hysteria has anything on the Powerbook-G5-next-Tuesday-rumor hysteria from six years ago.

It's getting there however. If someone would just get that damn Verizon iPhone in an elevator somewhere and snap some slightly-out-of-focus pics, it could become the mother of all Apple rumors.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

mid-cycle release for a new carrier wouldn't be new, in the UK when o2 lost exclusivity, Orange had it november and vodafone got it Januay if i recall rightly

seven7seven

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
I really dont think they'd announce before jan 25th even if it were coming, because they don't want people to be in the 30-day-return-window for all the phones bought for christmas

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Why does it matter?

It matters for a couple of reasons:

1) I like Apple products and personally, I would like to see it recognized by a tech world that has always considered them and "also ran" company.

But the real reason is:

2) The more successful they are, the better quality apps and compatibility you will get. These are the main reasons that make it difficult to use a mac in a modern day world. Mac started out with all kinds of crazy software that was way ahead of the competition, but as they became less viable as a user base, much of that went away. Now playing any modern games or using much of the business world software is a chore, and in many cases involves all kinds of weird exceptions and work arounds. Try using communicator on the mac, watching .wmv files, microsoft project or virtually any modern computer game, these are pretty poor experiences. Yes, somebody, here is going to post work arounds, but they are just that, work arounds instead of the driving standard. Trust me when I say there is a reason why Parallels and Fusion sell like crazy and it is not because the Mac does everything I need.

The only reason that Apple has gotten away with the stuff they have gotten away with regarding Flash and the iPhone is because their large user base gives them a bully pulpit to push for those technology changes. If the largest smartphone out there had had a "functioning" version of Flash and iPhone was only 12% of the market, Apple would have been laughed at. Since they are currently (arguably) the biggest player in the market web developers care. If they had not been the largest player, the transition away from Flash would have been a lot slower and I would have been forced to endure unworkable web sites on my smart phone and had a subpar experience.

Another example of this is .wmv, most people who send me video files send them in that format which will not play on my iPhone or iPad. I really want h.264 to become the standard, but for most people those files don't play on their computers unless they have quicktime installed and they use .wmv to guarantee compatibility. This is the same reason I don't use Keynote (which I vastly prefer to Power Point), at some point I will have to send those presentations to somebody else in the company and they are going to look like crap exported to Power Point.

The market leader makes the rules and I would rather be playing by Apple's rules than Google's. Please excuse the typos or poor logic been up all night drinking. :)

SpaceKyd

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
I really dont think they'd announce before jan 25th even if it were coming, because they don't want people to be in the 30-day-return-window for all the phones bought for christmas

This is really smart and true. I hate to have to agree with you because I WANT THAT DAMN PHONE! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.