Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Banc of America sources (via iLounge) in Asia claim that Apples desktop and notebook production numbers have been increased by 20% from Apple's early January estimates, suggesting stronger than expected demand for Apple's computers.
Firm believes production numbers should continue to move up throughout the quarter. MacBook Air orders also increased slightly for March, contributing to the upside. They continue to believe that desktops and notebooks are the key driver of the story.
Meanwhile, iPod production numbers are said to be significantly reduced by 10-20% from early January, suggesting slower demand than expected for the popular music player.

Recent outlooks have suggested growth in Apple's Mac marketshare, and the latest Net Applications numbers (methodology) from January 2008 reveal that the Mac had a 7.57% browser marketshare. This is up from 7.31% in December 2007.

Article Link

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
A lot more people have iPods than Macs, and this may be indicative of the halo effect beginning to really take hold.

Comment

colocolo

Contributor
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
I guess the fact that people are more prone to give iPods than computers as Christmas gifts might have to be taken into account for the decrease in the music Player production.
As for the more Macs part - well, that's just more demand.

Comment

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
I guess they are starting to become a computer company again ;) Or perhaps the standard iPod has run its course and it is going to be al phones and touches from here on out...

Comment

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I guess the fact that people are more prone to give iPods than computers as Christmas gifts might have to be taken into account for the decrease in the music Player production.
As for the more Macs part - well, that's just more demand.

Exactly. Why a production increase prior to the holidays and a decrease post-holiday's would surprise an analyst is beyond me.

Comment

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Great work Apple, on the increase in market share for Mac's-I'm not surprised. Why are iPods down though? I hardly doubt saturation or competition when we get are getting our frequent updates to satisfy quality demand (little phatty, touch) and do I need to mention... Zune?

Comment

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Makes sense. This mirrors what I plan to buy. I've go two iPods and have no plans to buy a third. I think they've already sold an iPod to just about everyone who wants one. Not everyone wants a "touch". They are unless at the gym. Also many people are looking at non-Apple music players now because of price and features. Apple's "iPod goldmine" is not sustainable.

With luck, Apple will one day will change it's name back to "Apple Computers"

Comment

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
good, so apple becomes more of a computer company again i hope.
the ipod's certainly reach a saturation and also suffer from the iphone sales.

now if apple would invest heavily in productivity software that would be great. iwork isn't good enough. i need a better word processor, a better spreadsheet, a easy database similar to filemaker, improved iweb, much better ical, a ton of web apps and a much faster/better .MAC

go apple!

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah, the market for iPods may not be "saturated" but it must be close. Lots of people have one, two, or more already, and most of those that don't have iPods choose not to because they'd rather buy a different brand, so Apple can't count on a sale from them anyway.

Comment

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Mac21ND said:
Exactly. Why a production increase prior to the holidays and a decrease post-holiday's would surprise an analyst is beyond me.
This is an old story, has been out for a week or longer.

It is 5-10% MORE of a decline than Apple anticipated. Apple starts out with a much reduced production schedule for this quarter.

Comment

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, the market for iPods may not be "saturated" but it must be close. Lots of people have one, two, or more already, and most of those that don't have iPods choose not to because they'd rather buy a different brand, so Apple can't count on a sale from them anyway.

Exactly. The only new markets are younger kids that may not have a MP3 player already or someone replacing ther broken one.

If you want an iPod odds are good you got one already, or a couple.

Comment

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Everyone may already have an iPod but it's inevitable that they will want the next generation. Once quantity demand has been established then quality demand follows. If you've owned a first generation iPod or 128k, you may know what I mean. I don't think the iPod is dead by any stretch.

Comment

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Matches what they said in their stock call. I think they said they had a few weeks of product in channel then they like.

Comment

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
Shouldn't it be Bank? I know the source says Banc, but maybe they mean Bank.

Interestingly enough, I believe this is the investment portion of BANK of America and to avoid some confusion they call it BANC of America. Apparently it didn't work though and I doubt it ever would have lol

Comment

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Shouldn't it be Bank? I know the source says Banc, but maybe they mean Bank.

No. "Bank of America" is a huge "normal" bank and not the same as "Banc of America", which is an investment bank. The latter is the "investment and analyzing department" of the former, if that makes sense?

Comment

Irfan

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
New iMac possibility?

Anyone feel that there may be a new iMac coming which is why production has been increased?

Comment

Retired
May 16, 2006
How many years have we used the iPod Halo Effect? Isn't it at least going on 3 years now?

Yes, at least...the iPod really started to take off with the 3G in 2003, with the Mini bringing a huge amount of people to Apple stores...

Comment

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I am not surprised. In fact - thats exactly what I expected. Here is why: Apple has a very huge market share regarding the iPods. There is not a lot room to grow. And I would expect that the overall demand for mp3 players is shrinking just because everyone who wanted one already has one. C'mon - who has today no iPod or no mp3 player from another brand ?

Computers is different - Apple holds a tiny fraction of computer market share - and Vista is a failure - that means a huge oppertunity for Apple to increase its market share and thats exactly whats happening.

Comment

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
How many years have we used the iPod Halo Effect? Isn't it at least going on 3 years now?

Point?
The first 2 years were talking about what the 'halo effect' could be, the last about the reality of OSX spanning computers, ipods and portable internet devices.
I think this train is just pulling out of the station.

As an aside, I stopped by my local Apple Store to lay hands on the Air, and was caught totally off guard. You just don't get how light this thing is until you pick one up. The sucker virtually floats. I'd be buying were it not for the fact that I'm currently awash in computers and don't 'need' one. I think Apple is smart, however, recognizing that, and selling the 'want'.

Comment

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut

Reading the linked article would tell you that isn't just a simple decrease after the holidays - that is a given. It is a decrease of what they expected even in a traditionally slow quarter:

"Current production expectations for March imply 5-10% Y/Y unit decline, versus firm's expectation for 5% Y/Y unt growth during the March quarter..."

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.