Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has signed a straight to series order for "Wool," an upcoming dystopian drama that's based on Hugh Howey's book of the same name. The 10-episode series will star Rebecca Ferguson, known for "Mission Impossible," "The Girl on the Train," "Men in Black," and more.

Apple-TV-Ray-Light-2-Purple.jpg

"Wool" is set in the distant future where the planet has become toxic and unable to sustain life. People live in giant silos underground, subject to restrictive rules and regulations that they think are designed to keep them safe.

Ferguson will play Juliette, a mechanic who works in the lower depths of the silo. She's promoted to sheriff after the prior sheriff is kicked out of the silo, and in her new role, she finds hints of a sinister conspiracy.

There is no word yet on when "Wool" will premiere on Apple TV+, but the show is produced by AMC Studios with Graham Yost serving as showrunner.

Article Link: Apple Inks Deal for Dystopian Series 'Wool'

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I vaguely remember reading the story when it first came out. I don’t remember exactly what it was but a plot point made me unhappy and although I finished the book I didn’t recommend it to anyone. And after that I more or less forgot completely about it.

Comment

bored

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
I first read this as "Woo!", which doesn't sound like a documentary about knitting.

Comment

AppleOrchard

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
Having read the book, I think this is very risky to Apple politically.

The GOP is portrayed as responsible for the original incident which caused the dystopia. And the guild of IT administrators/software engineers rule each silo.

Edit: s/guild/silo

Last edited:
Reactions: Ar40
Comment

cmaier

macrumors Penryn
Jul 25, 2007
California

The GOP is portrayed as responsible for the original incident which caused the dystopia. And the guild of IT administrators/software engineers rule each guild.

Is that right? I don’t recall them saying the name of the party responsible, but it’s been a couple years since I finished reading all the books.

Reactions: Ar40
Comment

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Based on that short description sounds like a variation of "Logan's Run".
Logan’s Run the (original) book or Logan’s Run the movie? I put original by the book because they may have put out a book version of the movie, and the original book and the movie are very different.

Comment

PercyForsyth

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2021
Oh, I loved those books. This could easily run many seasons just based on the source material alone, and there's tons of room for adaptation and modification. Hope they are announcing it now because production is about to begin. This sounds awesome.

Comment

AppleOrchard

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
Is that right? I don’t recall them saying the name of the party responsible, but it’s been a couple years since I finished reading all the books.
They do say that in a kind of roundabout way.

The GOP builds the silos specifically to guard against the attack which makes the world uninhabitable and the attack takes place when the GOP convention attendees are touring the silos.

• Disagree
Reactions: 3NV7
Comment

cmaier

macrumors Penryn
Jul 25, 2007
California
They do say that in a kind of roundabout way.

The GOP builds the silos specifically to guard against the attack which makes the world uninhabitable and the attack takes place when the GOP convention attendees are touring the silos.

Ok. I’ll defer. Certainly I *assumed* that it would be them (or a sci-fi equivalent) because, I mean, look around :)
I’m guessing that they will not put a name on it in the show. And, of course, that doesn’t even come into play until very very late in the story.

Reactions: Gasu E.
Comment

AppleOrchard

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
Ok. I’ll defer. Certainly I *assumed* that it would be them (or a sci-fi equivalent) because, I mean, look around :)
I’m guessing that they will not put a name on it in the show. And, of course, that doesn’t even come into play until very very late in the story.
But, the books have been out for ages and they do mention them by name.

The motivation for the attack is that they feel their way of life is being attacked, so the only way to preserve their way of life is to kill everyone else while they survive. This is a very culture war theme.

• Disagree
Reactions: 3NV7
Comment

wigby

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007

The GOP is portrayed as responsible for the original incident which caused the dystopia. And the guild of IT administrators/software engineers rule each guild.
It's OK, Apple TV + has a lot of great documentaries too 😉

Comment

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
I vaguely remember reading the story when it first came out. I don’t remember exactly what it was but a plot point made me unhappy and although I finished the book I didn’t recommend it to anyone. And after that I more or less forgot completely about it.
Don’t worry, a year or so from now there’ll be threads of fans raging about that scene being changed for the TV version.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Penryn
Jul 25, 2007
California
But, the books have been out for ages and they do mention them by name.

The motivation for the attack is that they feel their way of life is being attacked, so the only way to preserve their way of life is to kill everyone else while they survive. This is a very culture war theme.
Ok. Note that i did ask if that was the case because i haven’t read the books in awhile and couldn’t remember. Again, that doesn’t mean they will be named in the show.

Comment

groundedUX

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2018
Oh, I loved those books. This could easily run many seasons just based on the source material alone, and there's tons of room for adaptation and modification. Hope they are announcing it now because production is about to begin. This sounds awesome.
Thought the same thing. I never completely finished the books though, but remember it being an interesting concept - many times I wondered why it wasn’t picked up by Netflix or Amazon before.

Reactions: Ar40 and Patmens
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.