Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In one of the bigger deals for Apple's upcoming streaming TV service, Variety reports today that the Cupertino company has made a deal with DHX Media to produce all-new "Peanuts" content that will be exclusive to Apple.

Peanuts-Group-Classic-Apple.jpg
Image via Variety/Peanuts Worldwide LLC

Under the deal, DHX and its subsidiary Peanuts Worldwide will develop and produce the original series, specials, and shorts, while Apple will release it on its streaming service. One such project will be a Peanuts short featuring astronaut Snoopy that will be themed around STEM education, which Apple has long supported.

It's unclear what else will be coming to Apple's service from the Peanuts characters, and the report makes no mention of Apple gaining the rights to existing Peanuts content. The franchise dates back to 1950, when Charles M. Schulz created the Peanuts comic strip, which has now grown into a larger media franchise of TV specials, feature films, short films, merchandise, and more.

News of content acquired by Apple for its streaming service has been increasing lately, and in the past few weeks we've heard about new cast members for shows from M. Night Shyamalan, a new series starring Jennifer Garner, and Apple's interest in a violent drama show starring Richard Gere. Previous rumors suggested Apple's TV service would launch around March 2019, but now Variety reports that the debut will be sometime in the second half of 2019.

Article Link: Apple Inks Deal With DHX Media to Produce and Release All-New 'Peanuts' Content

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Anyway, I don’t think anyone asked for this, lol

I'd like to explicitly tell them not to. The Peanuts gang are the Mascots at our local amusement park. It really is the saddest thing ever.

People need to quit looking at Apple's tech to point out that they've lost their edge. Just look at what they are green lighting for entertainment and it's clear they've hurled themselves off the edge and face planted on a bouncy castle.

blcamp

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
"In one of the bigger deals for Apple's upcoming streaming TV service, Variety reports today that the Cupertino company has made a deal with DHX Media to produce all-new "Peanuts" content that will be exclusive to Apple."

Bad idea which I sincerely hope fails miserably. Charles Schulz never wanted anyone else to draw his characters; he made that a part of his contract with United Features. I would have hoped his wishes would be respected.

Last edited:

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
"In one of the bigger deals for Apple's upcoming streaming TV service, Variety reports today that the Cupertino company has made a deal with DHX Media to produce all-new "Peanuts" content that will be exclusive to Apple."

Bad idea which I sincerely hope fails miserably. Charles Schulz never wanted anyone else to draw his characters; he made that a part of his contract with United Features. I would have hoped his wishes would be respected.
Maybe while he was alive but kind of hard to run Peanuts Worldwide LLC and draw the characters from the grave. I'm sure his estate will find competent artists so they can cash in just like Charles did.

Reactions: tooloud10

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I'd like to explicitly tell them not to. The Peanuts gang are the Mascots at our local amusement park. It really is the saddest thing ever.

People need to quit looking at Apple's tech to point out that they've lost their edge. Just look at what they are green lighting for entertainment and it's clear they've hurled themselves off the edge and face planted on a bouncy castle.
Remember when Tim Cook thought it would be young and hip to force a U2 album down everyone's throats? He should recuse himself on matters of entertainment based on that alone.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
We've reached a sad state where a bitter flame war can be had over Peanuts.

I think everything on Mac Rumors can end up in PRSI these days and yes that is sad. Peanuts specifically always did have a very specific Christian message to it though. Someone will get offended over that and someone else will get offended over offense (or perceived as such) at Christianity. Good popcorn topic :p

Reactions: usersince86

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I think everything on Mac Rumors can end up in PRSI these days and yes that is sad. Peanuts specifically always did have a very specific Christian message to it though. Someone will get offended over that and someone else will get offended over offense (or perceived as such) at Christianity. Good popcorn topic :p
Peanuts had "Christian" values, but not much of a Christian message that I can recall, outside of Linus' soliloquy in the Christmas special. Now, Family Circus, on the other hand...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.