Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
That's incredibly stupid. LTE is already faster than most home internet speeds. The reason to not push iOS updates over cellular has nothing to do with the bandwidth and everything to do with the data cap limits.

Reactions: ohio.emt

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Apple: not allowing apps that are larger than 150MB to download via cellular for so long, even after LTE iPhones were out (only allowing it on iOS 13).
Also Apple: allowing iOS updates that can be in gigabytes to download over 5G on day 1 of 5G iPhones.

The Verizon check is surely nice huh Tim? :D

Reactions: GuruZac

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Apple advertising downloading playlists, downloading movies and tv shows, uploading and downloading photos and videos to your iCloud Photo Library, multiplayer gaming, and more over 5G....... DOES NO ONE HAVE DATA CAPS?!

We have “unlimited data” that throttles your data to a barely functional state when you pass 10GB.

Why does Apple suddenly allow users to download software updates on 5G but not LTE? Isn’t it just a speed upgrade??

ODoyleRulz

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Why would any sane person blow past your data caps for an iOS update?
Well because I don’t have to worry about blowing past my data cap. I signed up for a AT&T 5G plan earlier this year because not only is it cheaper than my last LTE unlimited data plan capped at 35 gigs, now I get 100 gigs of high speed data + HBO max.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
AT&T offer a number of data plans, they can choose the one that suits them. How is it any different from me downloading a movie to watch?
I paid for unlimited data for a reason.

Come and say you download 5TB over mobile data... That would be unlimited, but all i am seeing companies just cap at very high data limits they think no one would ever reach like 22GB or 50GB and call it unlimited.. Most companes also have a fair use thing too,

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
They should just add an option for - I have unlimited data or know the risks of going over my data.

Luckily, I usually have 2 phones with me. It is very annoying when I need to grab an app update, but it is "too large." I just tether to the other phone and download it over "WiFi" instead. ?‍♂️

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Come and say you download 5TB over mobile data... That would be unlimited, but all i am seeing companies just cap at very high data limits they think no one would ever reach like 22GB or 50GB and call it unlimited.. Most companes also have a fair use thing too,
In the UK, Vodafone now offers unlimited data on a choice of three different plans.
Starting from £22/month (or £11/month for the first 6 months), you can currently choose from the Vodafone Unlimited Max, Unlimited and Unlimited Lite plans. All of them will allow you to download as much as you like, with no hidden limits or fair usage policies.

I'll see if I can find it actually in my policy that was sent, dunno where the paperwork is.
When my internet is out my hotspot does both business and pleasure. Over Christmas for myself alone I downloaded a few games that came to hundreds of GB.
I didn't even bother checking what the others were doing.
5TB, no but a LOT of data is by no means beyond the bounds of possibility.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Too bad 5G doesn’t magically give me more data so 5G is pretty useless to me. The only thing I see it being good for is downloading or streaming stuff but I am sure as hell not gonna do that on our mobile data caps here in Germany ??

all our plans are „technically“ unlimited but they throttle you to 64kbs or even 32 kbs depending on your Plan and that’s not even all ... depending on your plan, the actual speed is different so LTE doesn’t mean you can get full speed. Sometimes it’s limited to 25mbit or more, again depending on the plan.

Reactions: Dekema2 and H2SO4

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
With unlimited data over 4G, my SE works as a modem for my Mac Mini.

I use it as a hotspot over USB, and then create another hotspot on the Mac so that the SE can get its own internet connection back via Wifi in a loop.

That's the trick you have to do to overcome Apple's silly limitations.

Murkrage

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2017
Apple advertising downloading playlists, downloading movies and tv shows, uploading and downloading photos and videos to your iCloud Photo Library, multiplayer gaming, and more over 5G....... DOES NO ONE HAVE DATA CAPS?!

We have “unlimited data” that throttles your data to a barely functional state when you pass 10GB.

Why does Apple suddenly allow users to download software updates on 5G but not LTE? Isn’t it just a speed upgrade??

No, not everyone has data caps. In fact, most European countries don’t because it’s not allowed anymore. It’s either true unlimited or you have a known data cap because you are only paying for 20GB for example.

Repeat after me: there is more to the world than the usa.

RigSatMe

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
What's the problem to enable over LTE:

1. Update download
2. iCloud Drive video files streaming by avoiding download to iPhone internal storage.
3. All the rest, where WiFi can be replaced with LTE.

The battery energy will be preserved significantly over LTE in comparison to 5G.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Will iOS allow users to turn off 5G like it does LTE? Many consumers are worried about health risks from 5G
Yes. There’s a toggle. Confirmed by a YouTube video zollotech. I’m happy since it’ll help with battery life.

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
Timmy Cook kowtowing to China again /s

I know you were being sarcastic, but wanted to discuss this. Anyway it seems to me it likely has to do with the Chinese version not having eSIM, and eSIM introducing more complexity to the problem. Be it UX or technical in nature, doesn't really matter, Apple would put the breaks on something like that even (especially?) if it wasn't technical in nature.

Also, hasn't it been announced that a software update is coming to enable exactly this?

Reactions: JWiLL1988

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
On the AT&T Unlimited Elite plan (their top tiered unlimited plan), after 100GB of use, they will slow your speeds if the network is busy.
Doesn't sound very "Unlimited" to me. In Sweden we have proper unlimited plans, you can get them at most carriers for around 65 USD/month, for those this would be very useful.

Reactions: KeithBN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.