Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m2m2k

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2020
Thats good. I'd hope it would be possible on LTE. Some of that smaller point releases only have 100 - 200 MB and 4G is fast enough (I have an unlimited - legacy - data plan).

RigSatMe

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
Here in Helsinki, Finland(Northern Europe) my phone using LTE is 100mbs download and 10mbs upload(speedtest) inside my apartment building, outside even better. I live 5.33 km (3.31 mi) from Helsinki city centre.

Also my cellular plan costs 27 euros(about 32 dollars) a month, true unlimited plan(max 150mbs download speed).
Example month of July i was using my phone plan only(for phone and laptop) and that months data usage was 301,08 GB, bill for that month was 27 euros including limitless voice and text :D
About typical phone plan in Finland ?

So my feeling is iPhone download caps are there mostly for mobile network situation in Northern America :(

We are currently residing in Latvia: unlimited internet plan EUR 9,99 per month. Average data usage is 1.5-3.0 Tb, no issues. LTE has great coverage, as well speed: download - 100Mbit, upload 70-80Mbit

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
It's so annoying that they don't allow iOS updates on LTE. It's often faster than W-Fi, and the data cap is just a local american problem that has no relevance elsewhere.
On the contrary, data caps are standard in many countries, including the UK and Ireland. Some plans do offer unlimited but it’s not the norm
by any means. But it is becoming increasingly popular, I’m glad to say.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Will iOS allow users to turn off 5G like it does LTE? Many consumers are worried about health risks from 5G

5g.png

NINTCHDBPICT000574915291.jpg

Yeah we had the full range of nutters here in the UK, :(

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
On the AT&T Unlimited Elite plan (their top tiered unlimited plan), after 100GB of use, they will slow your speeds if the network is busy.

I get unlimited uncapped speed on my provider. Plus unlimited hotspot uncapped speed.

Reactions: KeithBN

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪
I’ve lived with 5GB data for the last two years here in Germany (yes, I have WiFi at home and many other places in my city). Just signed a new unlimited max LTE/5G (up to 300gb speed) contract for far less amount. Can’t wait to use my new phone without opening my carrier’s app to check my data allowance every day!

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I’ve lived with 5GB data for the last two years here in Germany (yes, I have WiFi at home and many other places in my city). Just signed a new unlimited max LTE/5G (up to 300gb speed) contract for far less amount. Can’t wait to use my new phone without opening my carrier’s app to check my data allowance every day!

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
On the contrary, data caps are standard in many countries, including the UK and Ireland. Some plans do offer unlimited but it’s not the norm
by any means. But it is becoming increasingly popular, I’m glad to say.

True, yes, but the cost of - say - a 100GB plan in those countries compared to the US means that even when plans are capped, the cap is usually high enough (and the price low enough) to mean that there's effectively no difference between that and unlimited for many users whose usage isn't going to be anywhere near those caps (unless they're using it as their home Internet access). For example, I'm paying £15/m with a 100GB cap, I doubt I've ever come anywhere near that - I could probably survive with 20GB/month.

Last edited:

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
Will iOS allow users to turn off 5G like it does LTE? Many consumers are worried about health risks from 5G

Only the ignorant ones who troll that line of BS as Click-Bait, or tinfoil-hat, 5G RF Tower Conspiracy nuts who claim 5G brought forth the Covid-19 pandemic - both types of which can stay back in the 2010s where their feeble minds belong.

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Sarcasm flew over your head... how about you just give me your charging brick so I won’t have to buy one and kill the ozone?
There is sarcasm that can be funny. And then there is sarcasm that just makes you look bitter.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I can't believe that Apple still restricts what can be done on the cellular network. Give users a warning about data usage, but I think they should be able to choose to use mobile data if they want.

Reactions: SoundJudgment

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
How about allowing more data on every 4G phone and stop blocking any type of data over cellular as an option, suppose my 4G 263mbps down and 63mbps up is too slow :rolleyes:

fanboys here will explain to,you WHY 5g is good and lte not sufficient for iOS update download and why Apple made the completely right decision on that

Reactions: PC_tech

danny1305

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2018
Why would any sane person blow past your data caps for an iOS update?
Why would any sane person complain about every little minute thing? This is an option that many, including myself, will use. They give extra options and what do you do? Complain

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.