Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's the trick you have to do to overcome Apple's silly limitations.
Guessing the reason why I can’t download software updates over 4G because my 400mb download speeds isn’t fast enough.

Seriously apple. ?
Why does Apple suddenly allow users to download software updates on 5G but not LTE? Isn’t it just a speed upgrade??
Could very well be more carriers than Apple.
That's incredibly stupid. LTE is already faster than most home internet speeds. The reason to not push iOS updates over cellular has nothing to do with the bandwidth and everything to do with the data cap limits.
Bandwidth plays a role too.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Pardon Apple? 4G is my only home internet connection (UK infrastructure is dire) so been downloaded updates for ages, and everything else. Why restrict to 5G?

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Given the poor quality of the first release of iOS 14, I’ll never again be in such a rush to download an update that I’d ever want to use my data to do so.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Pardon Apple? 4G is my only home internet connection (UK infrastructure is dire) so been downloaded updates for ages, and everything else. Why restrict to 5G?
More available bandwidth and faster speeds? Seems like carriers might have a say in it all as well.

Reactions: KeithBN

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
As someone who isn't paying for phone service, I'm not looking forward to here in the U.S. Why would I pay $50 a month for a service that can be effectively cut off at a certain point, when if I go to Europe and exhibit the same behavior, it's just like using standard home internet?

This makes no sense in 2020 and reeks of a money grab, so as to not reward these companies with my hard earned money, I'm probably just going to get a $5 plan from Tello. I don't need 5G, I barely need data, and I usually don't get long phone calls.

Reactions: User 6502

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Apple advertising downloading playlists, downloading movies and tv shows, uploading and downloading photos and videos to your iCloud Photo Library, multiplayer gaming, and more over 5G....... DOES NO ONE HAVE DATA CAPS?!

We have “unlimited data” that throttles your data to a barely functional state when you pass 10GB.

Why does Apple suddenly allow users to download software updates on 5G but not LTE? Isn’t it just a speed upgrade??
That's exactly why I can't get excited over 5G. This is why I don't even want to pay for data. It's a cash grab just like those silly pay-to-play apps were for flip phones in the mid-2000s.

Lazlow

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Am I the only person who doesn't really give a crap about 5G speeds? LTE is plenty fast for whatever I do on my phone, yes the ability to download an entire series of a Netflix show within seconds is cool but like how often do you really need that?...

the only thing I'm excited about is this claimed improved service when in crowded areas / stadiums / etc (when we can go to those again)

Reactions: mr.bee

Marpleesi

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015
Here in Helsinki, Finland(Northern Europe) my phone using LTE is 100mbs download and 10mbs upload(speedtest) inside my apartment building, outside even better. I live 5.33 km (3.31 mi) from Helsinki city centre.

Also my cellular plan costs 27 euros(about 32 dollars) a month, true unlimited plan(max 150mbs download speed).
Example month of July i was using my phone plan only(for phone and laptop) and that months data usage was 301,08 GB, bill for that month was 27 euros including limitless voice and text :D
About typical phone plan in Finland ?

So my feeling is iPhone download caps are there mostly for mobile network situation in Northern America :(

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Here in Helsinki, Finland(Northern Europe) my phone using LTE is 100mbs download and 10mbs upload(speedtest) inside my apartment building, outside even better. I live 5.33 km (3.31 mi) from Helsinki city centre.

Also my cellular plan costs 27 euros(about 32 dollars) a month, true unlimited plan(max 150mbs download speed).
Example month of July i was using my phone plan only(for phone and laptop) and that months data usage was 301,08 GB, bill for that month was 27 euros including limitless voice and text :D
About typical phone plan in Finland ?

So my feeling is iPhone download caps are there mostly for mobile network situation in Northern America :(
The data caps do not make sense to me, at least in their current state. If the carriers want to keep them so bad, they need to forget about increasing profit margins, realize they're wrong, and increase the caps to at least 500 GB. Apple has been increasing storage media in its products because data consumption has increased. Telecoms have increased plan prices while offering the same product they had 4 years ago.

Reactions: Marpleesi

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Why would any sane person blow past your data caps for an iOS update?
even the large downloads don’t equate to that big a file size. Streaming video for a while will have a greater impact on many peoples data allowances.

Many people have plans that have more than enough buffer that a 500mb to 1.5GB download won’t pose any real issues for their data allowances.

Reactions: compwiz1202

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
I know you were being sarcastic, but wanted to discuss this. Anyway it seems to me it likely has to do with the Chinese version not having eSIM, and eSIM introducing more complexity to the problem. Be it UX or technical in nature, doesn't really matter, Apple would put the breaks on something like that even (especially?) if it wasn't technical in nature.

Also, hasn't it been announced that a software update is coming to enable exactly this?
In all seriousness, it looks like a limitation in the early software working with eSIM and Auto Data Mode? I am not educated enough to name the exact reason.

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
On all previous-generation iPhones, and on iPhone 12 models that are connected to an LTE network, downloading iOS updates will still require a Wi-Fi connection.
yes, let's restrict 4G just because it's 4G...
Apple knows best to spend our unlimited 4G data plans!

I often ask myself how the stupid questions in FAQs come together... arbitrary BS like this explains it...

FAQ on the Apple website in the future:
  • Do I need WiFi 6 (802.11ax) to download iOS updates?
  • Can I download iOS updates at day/night?
  • Will iOS updates download faster at full moon?
  • When using Magsafe for charging, will it charge faster when pointing the iPhone towards magnetic north?
  • Should I clean my iPhone with wet wipes before performing a clean install using OSX?

• Haha
Reactions: compwiz1202

Richardlench

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
This is dumb. From the test videos I've seen, my 4G connection is faster than most 5G tests. I easily hit 90-130mb/s. I'm also on an unlimited data plan. The forced wifi restriction is so outdated.

Reactions: karmamule
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.