Apple Introduces Updated Apple TV with Netflix Integration, TV Show Rentals

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As hinted early in the keynote with the mention of TV show rentals, Steve Jobs today announced the second generation of Apple TV hardware, a significant redesign for the device. At one-fourth the size of the original Apple TV, the new device features HDMI and digital audio outputs, as well as Ethernet and 802.11n Wi-Fi and will offer only rentals from the iTunes Store.

Unlike the previous Apple TV, the new model will not have any significant internal storage, relying on streaming content only. Additionally, media can no longer be purchased but only rented. First-run HD movies can be rented for $4.99 on the day the DVD is released. Renting HD TV shows will cost $.99. At launch, only ABC and Fox will offer their HD shows for rental at this price.
Apple today announced the new Apple TV which offers the simplest way to watch your favorite HD movies and TV shows on your HD TV for the breakthrough price of just $99. Apple TV users can choose from the largest online selection of HD movies to rent, including first run movies for just $4.99, and the largest online selection of HD TV show episodes to rent from ABC, ABC Family, Fox, Disney Channel and BBC America for just 99 cents.

Apple TV also streams content from Netflix, YouTube, Flickr and MobileMe, as well as music, photos and videos from PCs and Macs to your HD TV. Enjoy gorgeous slideshows of your photos on your HD TV using Apple TV's selection of built-in slideshows. Apple TV has built-in HDMI, Wi-Fi, Ethernet and an internal power supply for easy set-up, and features silent, cool, very low power operation in an enclosure that's less than four inches square - 80 percent smaller than the previous generation.
The new Apple TV's support for Netflix's streaming service allows subscribers on a DVD rental plan costing $8.99 or more per month to access streaming content for no additional charge. Apple TV users will also be able to stream content from YouTube, Flickr, and MobileMe.

Apple's new AirPlay, which replaces AirTunes, will allow the streaming of content from an iOS device to an Apple TV. During the keynote, Jobs demonstrated streaming a movie from an iPad to an Apple TV over a Wi-Fi network.

Apple TV content will be available in six countries to start, with more coming later this year. The new Apple TV, priced at $99, comes with a remote control and will be available starting in about four weeks, with pre-orders starting today.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Updated Apple TV with Netflix Integration, TV Show Rentals

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
You guys think they'll push out the update to the original AppleTV?

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Leading up to the announcement, I said I was going to replace the living room :apple:tv with a new one. However, the lack of purchasing items has me turned off. I'm going to sit this one out for now...even at $99.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
For those that don't already own and ATV seems like a decent buy. However, I already own one and I am rather disappointed that it won't include iOS.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
For the ability to stream Netflix, this seems pretty cool. Renting TV shows and videos, no. But a dedicated Netflix device, I'm all for that. But only 720p? WTF (facepalm)

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Hermitage, TN
Apple TV
Price: $99
Resolution: 720P
Includes: Netflix, YouTube

Support Video Formats: M4V, MP4, MOV

Supported Audio Codecs: HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Built in Wi-Fi N

WD TV HD Live Plus
Price: $109
Resolution 1080P
Includes: Netflix, YouTube, Flickr, Pandora

Supported Video Formats: AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9

Supported Audio Codecs: MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS

Wi-Fi only available through extra purchase.

So tell me again, how the Apple TV can compete with the WD TV HD Live Plus and other devices?

Why does Apple come out with a great design, superb UI, but ruin the functionality?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I am certain people here will $&%^ about the lack of purchasing, but there are 2 things to remember:

1) You can still do it on your Mac and stream them. (Get off the couch for 30 seconds!)

2) I think Steve is right, this AppleTV contains the stuff the regular public cares about the most. I'm betting it will be much more popular because of the things it leaves out.

People want simple things to hook up to their TV. That's why only nerds like us hook up computers to televisions. If everyone liked that they'd have done it by now. But they haven't.

So tell me again, how the Apple TV can compete with the WD TV HD Live Plus and other devices?

Simple. People want to rent The Bourne Identity.

They DON'T want to rent: AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9

:glassy eyed consumer:

sideburn

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Already put in an order. For a hundred bucks that's the worst thing I have to loose...

Sykotic

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Only 720p. Boo! Hiss!

Hopefully it won't take the hackers long to find out if it could really play 1080p.

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Iam so getting one...
Why what's changed here, its an ATV without a Drive, it will run cooler, but it still has the same crappy UI, still 720p, it has Netflix but so does a million devices now. Don't know I'm underwhelmed. And they took the ability to buy away. My LG Blu Ray for $160 bucks can stream from all that and Cinema Now, Vudu, Pandora, support DLNA servers and can stream in 1080p in any format including native AVCHD and Divx HD... eh.. Am I missing something.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Hermitage, TN
I am certain people here will $&%^ about the lack of purchasing, but there are 2 things to remember:

1) You can still do it on your Mac and stream them. (Get off the couch for 30 seconds!)

2) I think Steve is right, this AppleTV contains the stuff the regular public cares about the most. I'm betting it will be much more popular because of the things it leaves out.

People want simple things hooked up to their TV. That's why only nerds like us hook up computers to televisions. If everyone liked that they'd have done it by now. But they haven't.
Buy a WD TV HD Live Plus and enjoy much more than the Apple TV can currently do.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
For anyone that doesn't know, the Remote App has been updated:

"Channel surf, tap, and flick with the Remote app.
Control Apple TV using your iPhone or iPod touch. Download the Remote app free from the App Store. And with a flick of your finger, you can rent new movies and TV shows, scroll through the Netflix catalog, and browse your media collection. Remote uses the same easy-to-use interface you already use to browse music and video on your Multi-Touch device. So right away, you know how to navigate. If you want to find something specific, use your device’s QWERTY keyboard to quickly tap out the title instead of clicking letters on the Apple TV screen. Then keep tapping to play, fast-forward, rewind, and pause to your finger’s content."

eatmyjustice

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2008
Washington, USA
I was hoping for some level of app integration. Won't be picking this up... I already stream photos, movies, and music to my tv. I have TiVo to DVR shows... and can stream netflix on my 360, Wii, and TiVo.

For me... the ultimate Apple TV would have DVR and Apps... mmmmmmm

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Please tell me I can still buy movies from iTunes and stream them.

I don't have a real issue with the fact that you must stream, no sync, as my iMac is always on with externals connected. But I do have a select group of favorites synced.

Any news on whether the old Apple TV gets the software update.

Any news of whether the Apple TV will still have a great floating photos screensaver for use when playing music or when inactive.

I was also hoping to see the Remote app redesigned or at the very least an iPad optimized version so that the whole 1x 2x pixelated thing goes away.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Why does Apple come out with a great design, superb UI, but ruin the functionality?
Didn't you just answer your own question? The new Apple TV is $10 cheaper AND includes built-in Wifi.

Yeah, you can do more with the WDTV Live (and I owned one for a while, so I know), but you're paying more for it, especially if you need to buy a wifi adapter to make it work wirelessly.

I think it really will come down to where you get your media from. If you buy media (movies, TV shows) from iTunes, the Apple TV is the ONLY device that can play them. If you download xvid's from torrent sites, then your choice is the WDTV. If you roll your own DVD rips, you have an even choice as you can decide how to encode them into a format that works on either.

Hypex

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Cool, but I was hoping for more. I'll buy it the same day someone get 1080p mkv's working on it :)

dml

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Existing AppleTV software update?

Does anyone know if the software of existing AppleTVs will be updated to reflect today's announced changes to the product?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.