Apple Investigating iPhone 7 Bug Causing 'No Service' After Turning Off Airplane Mode

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is aware of and investigating an iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus issue that can result in the loss of cellular service after turning off Airplane Mode on the devices, according to internal documents obtained by MacRumors.

In the meantime, Apple has advised authorized service providers to instruct customers to restart the affected iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus. If no service persists, Apple advises customers to remove and re-insert the device's SIM card.

In a video shared with MacRumors by reader Yasser El-Haggan, an iPhone 7 can be seen with no service alongside an iPhone 6s with two bars of LTE after Airplane Mode is toggled off on both devices. Both of the iPhones are said to be AT&T models, which means the iPhone 7 has an Intel modem rather than a Qualcomm modem used for Verizon and Sprint models.

El-Haggan said he took his iPhone 7 to an Apple Store, where the Genius Bar swapped out the device with a new one. The employee had allegedly seen the issue on a few previous handsets, and he immediately replaced the device per Apple's instructions in lieu of running a basic diagnostic test. Apple appears to have replacement iPhone 7 models reserved for these scenarios per standard policy.

Article Link: Apple Investigating iPhone 7 Bug Causing 'No Service' After Turning Off Airplane Mode

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

AIRPLANE GATE EVERYONE STAY CALM!

Not to be confused with the Galaxy Note 7 airplane gate that doesn't let you take them on planes.

3. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

4. RedOrchestra Suspended

Just doesn't seem plausible - maybe you can expand on that statement

5. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Interesting to note, I had my device on Airplane mode the other day, and actually received a call! When I answered it, all I got on the other end was a bunch of electronic noises. So Airplane mode means offline or something else exactly?

6. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Wouldn't be an iPhone launch if there weren't multiple bugs that people try to blow out of proportion.

7. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Does this hissing stop when this happens? Maybe it's a feature. Sounds courageous to me.

8. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

This is no bug. It is the second phase of the Beta testing. Code name the Gamma Phase, a.k.a "Field Test"

9. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

Maybe Airplane mode is looking for an AirPort router to land on.

10. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

This is why you should resist and buy in on the "S" cycle...

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah, I don't understand why people think a device that is suddenly released shipping millions of phones won't have some bugs that need to be worked out.
    Thus the term "Early Adopter"

12. Razeus macrumors 601

This is ridiculous Apple. QC is in the gutter for the last few years at Apple.

13. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

No, we are using it wrong.

14. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

And not enjoy a great phone for an entire year? Just get a replacement at the Apple Store or through AppleCare. Living in fear of a few bugs is no way to live. And yes, I upgrade every year and don't have problems Apple's service team haven't fixed.

15. projectle macrumors 6502

Have the same behavior after upgrading to iOS 10 on an iPhone 6S Plus. Not 7 specific.

16. Deeznuts. macrumors 6502

Deeznuts.

Is it just me or has anyone's iPhone 7 Plus springboard been crashing 2-3 times a day?

17. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

" the iPhone 7 has an Intel modem rather than a Qualcomm modem used for Verizon and Sprint models."

Hold it, I thought the only difference these days was the SIM card.

I bought my last phone (6) directly from Apple as a generic phone and used my SIM card from Verizon. I was really tired of all that locking stuff (although my previous Verizon phone wasn't locked) and wanted to be free from contracts with the phone carrier.

Now I find ATT wants a special phone for their customers. Run...

18. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

This is an iOS10 issue, not just iPhone 7 series. I was out in the country this weekend and switched to airplane mode. I switched back when I got home, where I am very well connected, and 'No Service'. I finally rebooted the phone and it reconnected.

For the record, I have a 6s+ running iOS 10.

19. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Because an extremely small percentage of phone experience bugs? And even the ones that do have bugs, they are rarely anything major.

20. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

Hmm, a "great phone" with problems is not a great phone, pal.

Besides, I thought the 6S was a great phone?

This has nothing to do with fear, it has everything to do with having a reliable, bug-free product with the right features.

Apple usually gets it right the second time around. Obvious examples of this being:

iPad vs iPad 2
    :apple:Watch vs :apple:Watch Ver.2
    iPhone 6 (bendy!!) vs 6s
    Unibody MacBook (original missing FW) vs 13" MBP
    iPad Air vs iPad Air 2

I will never, ever (again ;)) buy a first-gen Apple device.

21. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Agreed. That's what I always do, too. The 's' cycle has been much more stable, IMHO. I'm not sure if Apple will continue with the 's' cycle next year, though, because of the 10th anniversary.

22. Hanzu Lao Suspended

Hanzu Lao

23. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Huh. I had wondered how the Intel chips would fare over the long, tried and true Qualcomm chips. While this isn't a huge deal per se, it does however, show that there is going to be some bugs to work through on Intel's part.

24. Aathroser macrumors newbie

The iPhone 7 has gone back to having different modems for different carriers. I'm not a fan of this.

Proof: iPhone 7 Tech Specs

25. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020