Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

155349-6a0120a5580826970c0133f493e390970b-800wi_500.jpg

Patently Apple reports on some new patent applications that appeared in China's patent database this week. One diagram (above) clearly shows an Apple iPad with dual 30pin dock connectors allowing both landscape and portrait docking orientations. While the site seems to think this represents the next iPad, we feel it most likely represents existing designs that never made it into the current iPad. While the distinction may be subtle, it could mean we may never see this design in a future iPad.

In fact, dual dock connectors were strongly rumored for the first generation iPad by iLounge.
According to the site, the tablet will have two dock connectors to allow the device to be docked in either portrait or landscape orientations. This should allow the device some flexibility when docking with 3rd party accessories, avoiding awkward cable positioning.
The site also identifies the top sensor as a possible front-facing camera, though it seems more likely to represent the iPad's ambient light sensor which is located in that spot.

Article Link: Apple iPad Design Patents Showing Dual Dock Connectors

Green™

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2010
Hmmm

Is cable aesthetics the only upside? Sounds a bit ridiculous to me...

Wait, if you have two ports, you can use the dongles from the 1st generation iPad like the SD card reader and keyboard adapter while charging, right? Of course, I hope to see those integrated...

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think that is a great idea, it would open up lots of possibilities.

Holding the iPad on the left side would feel uncomfortable with a port cutout.

They could just have a flush insert for the 2nd dock connector like they do for the SIM slots on iPhones.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I think that is a great idea, it would open up lots of possibilities.

They could just have a flush insert for the 2nd dock connector like they do for the SIM slots on iPhones.

That would have been awkward.

I'm glad they didn't do this.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
This would seem to add functionality to the device. Easier to use in the keyboard dock etc. I don't really see what the downside would be.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Would allow typing in landscape mode.

Exactly! Docked typing, that is.

I think it's a great idea but I still agree with the speculation of the article that yes, it may be an original design that they might have scrapped, or yes, possibly coming out in the next rev. Each premise seems plausible to me, and each is certainly much more plausible than the idea that iPads will be refreshed before next spring. :)

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Interesting, but a dock connector is not the way to go.

Apple needs to get back to standard ports, in this case a USB port and an SD slot would go a long way to making the device far more useful. On the otherhand if one dock connector got worn out or broken you woul have a backup.

Frankly I'm itching for rev two iPad. With all the various A9 class processors being announced, for example the latest Samsung and Marvel releases, it is obvious that the next iPad will see a huge performance increase. Some of the specs on these new chips are just incredible. Give the thing LTE and all the better.

Not to side track the port discussion but each time something hinting at the rev 2 iPads appear the gears start spining in my head. The idea that some of the current limitations will be gone in less than a yeArs time is exciting. I just hope that the multiple ports are usable at the same time. That so that a camera connector kit could be connected while the iPad is docked. It isn't ideal but being able to connect an SD card while docked will be very useful. Yes I'm hung up on SD cards because they are an obvious problem solver when dealing with large files.

Dave

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Some patents are just defensive, warding off others from stopping you from freely doing what you may want to later.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Why not an early refresh?

Exactly! Docked typing, that is.

I think it's a great idea but I still agree with the speculation of the article that yes, it may be an original design that they might have scrapped, or yes, possibly coming out in the next rev. Each premise seems plausible to me, and each is certainly much more plausible than the idea that iPads will be refreshed before next spring. :)

I hold out hope for a refresh before the holiday shopping season. If nothing else it should put Apple in a good position with respect to the competition. Besides that, iPad being a consummer device, would benefit greatly from refreshes just before the major shopping season. IPads spring release really means nothing here as the company often uses that late winter time period to introduce new technology. So if their goal is an annual refresh for iPad they will most likely want to do that outside of the time period when new tech is released, so a shift to October or November makes sense.

Zaap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Can't believe it would take anyone more than a second to figure out the benefit- I was wanting that second port the second the iPad came out. If the next gen has it, I'll own one faster than you can even say iPad. Docking it in landscape mode (and in addition, at least ONE standard USB port) would totally replace all need for a netbook or small laptop for many people- definitely me.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I can see why the first version of the iPad doesn't have two.

When the iPad gains power and begins to function more as a limited laptop rather than an empowered iPod, it can be docked and used as a full home computer... or so I would hope. I'm pretty sure it will get there in 5 years.

Apple is probably contemplating using the iPad format to cannibalize most all of their home computers' sales in time. Just an upgrade of memory-storage-speed-screen size, and most people can abandon the desktops. There are ways to make docking stations for the iPad that would enhance function. Hope Apple begins exploring that possibility.

Desktops as made now would be for professional or high end computing function. Home computing of the masses will be done on tablets for the next decade or more.

billyt1963

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
If there were two docking ports, a laptop type keyboard could be created. You could then "dock" your iPad into that and then "close" the iPad onto the keyboard. Kind of a combo laptop/iPad. The keyboard could have all the stuff that a normal laptop keyboard has, like DVD/CD, hard drive, multiple ports.

Billy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.