Apple iPad onboard Camera revealed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kdesign7, Feb 1, 2010.

1. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

So I've been doing alot of research online about why the Apple iPad doesn't have an onboard camera.

In a previous post, I posted my Design Concept of a relatively easy and cheap idea that would incorperate a Camera with the Apple iPad. (follow link below to see my Concept Design: iSight Lite+ for the Apple iPad)​

[​IMG]

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=858197

While I was doing some reading online tonight, I found a few posts that claim the Apple iPad was indeed intended to have a Camera, and this is what I found.

I also went to the Youtube channel for apple (www.youtube.com/apple) ((weither or not they are legit, and really Apple's channel, they do have HD quality videos of the Keynote on Jan 27)).

If you start watching at 09:01 and stop at 09:05, you will see a slight glimpse of something, dead center, at the top, where one would think an onboard camera would be @ 09:03.

I took a screen capture to show what I seen - On the LEFT side, is the screen capture that I took, and on the RIGHT an image I found on 9to5mac and also on a few other articles, claiming the same thing. ​

[​IMG]

Also attached are a few more images that lead me to believe that for some STRANGE Reason, the mention of the onboard Camera was LEFT Out during the keynote, and will be added to the finished product. ​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*** my Thoughts. Maybe Mr.Jobs didn't want to display the Camera at the keynote, to get everyone all hyped up about a big disappointment, and then when its ready to ship, he'll say "Ooh, opps, I forgot to mention, it does have an onboard Camera. Got ya!" ***

I think that this could be a very 'smart' but RISKY marketing ploy, because so many PEOPLE want this feature, and if you don't ADD it right AWAY when you announce the product, it will cause all this hype and disappointment about the missing link. Many many many people will then talk about the disappointment in the product and give the Apple iPad more exposure. Good or Bad publicity is still good publicity. The more people talking about the iPad, the better.

And We can all atest to the fact that since the Apple iPad wasn't announced with a onboard Camera, it's gotten alot of exposure. Exactly what Steve Jobs wants. And when the day arrives when the Apple iPad is set to ship, he'll make an announcement and say "Ooh, Opps.. Forgot to mention, there is a CAMERA". Then the market for the Apple iPad will SORE through the roof!

Thats what I think anyway. :)
    Please leave your comments, I enjoy reading them! THANKS!

Travis Kelland
    K_design7@hotmail.com

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Nice!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Surely Guest

Surely

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

If it does have a camera, the dozens of people that got to use it post-keynote would have said something.

5. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

THIS IS A FANTASTIC BUILT IN CAMERA design!! I couldn't of done it better myself! I truely believe that this will closely reflect what it will ACTUALLY look like!

GREAT JOB mate!!
    Well done!!

6. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe!

But Maybe not as well - Maybe mr.Jobs did this on purpose. Maybe he wanted to hold back on letting this feature out. This way it'd cause a stir in the communities about the lack of this feature.. and cause alot of exposure, which I think it has gotten. Risky, for sure, but it maybe the idea.. :) Either way, I'm hoping! :D :)

7. Surely Guest

Surely

One problem/inaccuracy with this mockup: there is no Camera App icon on the screen, and according to the bottom of the page, there are no other pages (the other 'dot' is the search magnifying glass).

8. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, good eye! I didn't even notice that there wasn't an App Icon for the Camera anywhere. I was more hooked on the design and position of the camera! :)

But I like it when people pay attn to detail!

:rolleyes:

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And this my friends is why Rev A products and Apple don't mix... all people with Rev A end up being the test crowd. That happens with every Apple product (except the 1st Gen iPhone).

iPad + front camera = win for me. Skype back home using that, *drools*

10. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

Better?

Attached Files:

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

One can only wish.

12. drjsway macrumors 6502a

If I did want to use a camera, I'd most likely use it in landscape mode.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Either way, the iPad will just re-orient the video...

14. mcnicks macrumors regular

The only problem with having a camera flush with the front panel is keeping it aligned with your face. Remember that Jobs and Ive made a big deal about the iPad being flexible and adjusting to how you want to use it. That does not really square with the idea of holding it vertically in front of you in order to capture your face on camera.

15. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's obvious but if I turn it in landscape mode:

1. the camera will be to the side, making it hard to center on my face.
    2. My fingers will most likely be covering it.

16. admanimal macrumors 68040

...but that video will now be of your shoulder rather than your face.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

True, but you can put in a wide angle range camera to fix this.

18. gibbz macrumors 68030

Wouldn't be the first time an Apple product was altered after the original announcement.

Only 11 days prior to the launch, Apple announced the iPhone would sport longer talk time than mentioned in the Jan. 9th, 2007 unveiling, along with a new glass top.

Now that was 5 months after the original announcement, but the precedent exists.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

One can wish... *crosses fingers for iSight*

20. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Maybe they didn't want to give away the webcam secret because they want to reveal it on the new iphone first! They didn't want to spoil it.

But they needed to start making telecom deals over seas and also get the iPad thru FCC approval so they had to show off the iPad early without OS 4.0 or the new iPhone.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sorry, this doesn't make sense, the iPad will be released before iPhone4,1 (or iPhone3,2), so there can't be a secret can there?

22. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Maybe it will come out around the same time. Maybe they were going to announce it but the talks with verizon broke down.

23. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

*thumbs up*

24. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BINGO!!!

25. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Guys, as much as I would love a camera, I honestly think it wasn't included because it would be too hard to use. A fixed camera doesn't fit with Ives vision of holding the device any way you want. Also, even if you can center your face, you'd still be holding and shaking the device and the person on the opposite end will think they're watching the Blair Witch Project.