MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

002701-mediamarkt_500.jpg

According to a tweet by major German electronics retailer Media Markt, the Apple iPad will go on sale March 1st at a price of 499 Euros with contract with T-Mobile or 899 Euros without. In U.S. prices this would likely be around $500-$600 U.S. with contract and $999 without. We came to these numbers by comparing similarly priced Apple items sold in Euros and USD (Mac Mini: 549 Euros / $599 USD, MacBook 899 Euros / $999 USD).

The company, however, quickly deleted the tweet but not before it was retweeted a number of times. NetbookNews.de also picked up on the story and seems to believe that Media Markt would be in a position to know this information. The German site tells us that Media Markt is the biggest German electronics chain akin to Best Buy in the U.S., and has a dedicated Apple section.

Given Apple's secrecy, however, we're not convinced Apple would reveal such information to their retail partners ahead of the official announcement. That said, it's possible that mobile carriers such as T-Mobile have been briefed already due to the carrier agreements that must be put into place. Apple's Media event takes place Wednesday, January 27th.

Article Link: Apple iPad Pricing and Availability: $600-$1000, March 1st?

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Oh god, it better not be an iPad, that just sounds wrong. iPad doesn't sound as good as iSlate, which I am now used to and actually like.

Comment

Virtuon

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
Utopia
Just wait for the announcement! Only 48 hours to go. Take sedatives if you need to get through the grueling waiting period. :rolleyes:

Comment

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
well, what kind of contract? you know it is not a phone. you don't need it even though you might need to use 3G internet with simcard. but it is still option. you can just use wifi just like iphone or ipod touch. I think that it is not true. what's important is that we don't know before Apple will show. so everything around this tablet thing is just bull ****. whatever, I won't buy it. it's not for me. iphone is enough.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
well, what kind of contract? you know it is not a phone. you don't need it even though you might need to use 3G internet with simcard. but it is still option. you can just use wifi just like iphone or ipod touch. I think that it is not true. what's important is that we don't know before Apple will show. so everything around this tablet thing is just bull ****.

It's not that hard to understand

$1000 - No contract, just use Wi-Fi
$600 - 2 year data contract. 3G + WiFi.

arn

Comment

lightpeak

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
BC, Canada
well, what kind of contract? you know it is not a phone. you don't need it even though you might need to use 3G internet with simcard. but it is still option. you can just use wifi just like iphone or ipod touch. I think that it is not true. what's important is that we don't know before Apple will show. so everything around this tablet thing is just bull ****.

Because Apple's a master at tying a revoluntionary device to one carrier to pad their profits as much as possible, aggravation to its customer be damned.

Comment

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Personally, I think this is fake. The price point of 1000,00 is ridiculous and would push people away from the tablet to the laptop. Why spend a grand on a half-computer ... that is why netbooks aren't 1000.00 people. Not to mention Apple expecting to rope people in with yet another service contract? No. Look for a 500.00 tablet, sold via Apple, with the option of added 3G via a 3rd party device.

Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Do retailers ever get info ahead of time?
I'm not buyin'

Comment

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Because Apple's a master at tying a revoluntionary device to one carrier to pad their profits as much as possible, aggravation to its customer be damned.

They are a company. Profits are kind of the point. :rolleyes:

As far as the OP, I'd pay $1000 for the device with no contract.

Comment

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
I dont want another contract (+$$$) I only need wifi and $1000 prices me out.

Oh well, ill stick with me iPhone.

$600 and no contract and ill bite.

Comment

iSkank

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
It's going to be priced at $350. I promise ;) Yes, it does sound crazy, and Steve is expecting us all to be shocked at the priceline, as well as the product. We will look at it in disbelief.

Comment

azsprty

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Absolutely not worth the price. 999 for no contract? this thing should be between 300-500 MAX. I see this as a fad and not a huge seller but I could be wrong

Comment

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
I dont believe it. I live in Germany and know Media Markt, they're not your regular high tech electronic shop. They generally sell cheap comsumer goods and are not big on apple products. It takes them weeks before they carry new apple products. It's a fake!

Comment

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
its going to be a party

Its going to be so funny if finally it happens and its just a new ipod with camera, hahahaha, now that would be real news around the world :)

Can imagine the mac disciples going stir crazy, hahaha.

Of course its for real people, its not like apple would ever drop the ball :D

Comment

Intense

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
toronto
I don't think they'll have that kind of info
they must have definitely assumed all this stuff

wednesday is soon !
excited beyond excitement

this is awesome

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.