Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
this is why phones should have keyboards, too. predictive text only gets you so far before you start to get annoyed.

Hmmm i'm from UK and i now live in New York. I've realised that Americans simply don't text as much as we do in Europe. I used to send at least 20 a day. And they are soooo clow at texting it's like it hasn't even really caught on yet. God and some of my friends can't work predictive text to save their lives!

Dunno what the new iphone would have in store but i find texting with a number keypad more than adequate.

matthemercyless

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Hull, UK
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting pretty excited about this. :D We're definately seeing more and more rumours than ever before surrounding this product, and rumour sites are getting more and more accurate with their predictions (pretty much).:D

I read a little of the latest patent document filed by Apple and think the phone could shape up to be quite awesome.
2 versions sounds like a good idea, one straight up cell phone, with the usual media features and a smartphone following later in the year. This would allow Apple to test the waters with a fairly simple model first, and provided sales were good, they could release a more expensive smartphone later.

The construction technique sounds pretty cool, allowing for the exterior to be almost seamless, like the ipod mini.:cool: It could also have wifi, but the references to radio frequency functionality could just be bluetooth.

The idea of holding a video conference between a cell phone and desktop sounds sweet, if it uses an nvidia video chip, it could be damn powerful too!

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
No, only in the portable line. There have been NO widespread reported problems with the 2G Shuffle, the 5.5G iPod, the 2G Nano, the Intel Mac Mini, the Mac Pro, the Intel iMac, Intel Xserve ... need I go on?

All the problems with the MacBooks and MBPs were heat and processor releated because of Apple's small expirience with their new Intel processors... and the short time they had to cram all that into a PowerBook case.

As long as Apple makes the iPhone like they make the Nano (aluminum enclosure) then you have nothing to worry about. They have good expirience with aluminum enclosures.

First off, you're wrong:

-- The Mac mini Intel revision had massive airport and bluetooth problems
-- The screen line has massive problems
-- iTunes needed a .1 emergency patch since it was losing music and corrupting libraries
-- The 5.5g iPod and nano Rev b. are markedly slower at transfers. Apple has acknowledged this problem.

etc., etc., etc...

Second, even if you WERE correct, the fact that Apple is "only" having massive problems with it portable line is EXACTLY THE POINT. A phone is a mobile device, subject to the same micro-engineering challenges a laptop is.

Remember, real Apple supporters keep the company honest and demand only the very best from them.

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
I've been getting pretty excited about the rumors. I haven't seen anyone post this yet, but I may have missed it. With the two price points so close to current offerings, is there any chance that Apple will offer two completely different cell-phone options?

One would be the lower end, nano form factor and be a pretty basic iPod+phone, with syncing of contacts and calendar.

Then there would be the full-sized iPod+smartphone with all the bells and whistles. So you get the best of both worlds. Some people want an iPod that also happens to make calls. Others want a PDA that also happens to be a phone and an iPod. Why not make both?

It's only two products and that makes for a pretty simple lineup, and everyone ends up happy with exactly what they want. Sort of.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
I really hope we get more juicy information soon. I have to make a decision in the next couple of weeks to replace my current phone or wait till January after the announcements. Its just killing me to wait!! My biggest fear is that the conference will come and go and nary an iPhone product is seen. Then I will have gone yet another month with a craptastic Treo 600.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
-- The Mac mini Intel revision had massive airport and bluetooth problems
-- The screen line has massive problems
-- iTunes needed a .1 emergency patch since it was losing music and corrupting libraries
-- The 5.5g iPod and nano Rev b. are markedly slower at transfers. Apple has acknowledged this problem.

I believe we're talking about hardware problems, not iTunes problems. Why did you list an iTunes problem?

The problems with the Intel Mini, 5.5G iPod and 2G Nano are minor problems ... I haven't even heard about them before. And what does "screen line has massive problems" mean? What screen? What product?

Out of the 4 problems you listed, only 3 make sense, only 2 are applicable, and only 1 has been acknowledged by Apple.

Second, even if you WERE correct, the fact that Apple is "only" having massive problems with it portable line is EXACTLY THE POINT. A phone is a mobile device, subject to the same micro-engineering challenges a laptop is.

Notebooks are handeled different than mobile phones. There's different teams and departments in Apple. Why would the notebook team work on the iPhone? Wouldn't the iPod team/department work on it? Despite the 1G Nano's case being scratched easily, iPods have had few major problems. I suspect the iPhone will have a minor problem or two, but nothing to stop sales. I am willing to bet that the iPhone will have no major problems.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
The interface of the phone was based on the one-click simplicity of Front Row along with extensive integration with Mac OS X. This integration came in the form of new .Mac functionality, iTunes syncing, and full iChat functionality.

I want address book syncing without a Mac. I'm sick of so many of Apple's services requiring access to a Macintosh to use. iCal does me little good when I can't edit calendars while I'm at work (on a PC).

I remember when web mail for .Mac mail first came out it had no spell checker. I complained and the response I got back was that I should just use OSX's built-in spell checker instead. Gee, if I'm on my own Mac why do I need to use Webmail?

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
The iChat functionality does not excite me as of now. I cannot really see a reasonable application for it.

This does make a lot of sense now... the phone has gone through a bunch of revisions because apple knew if the first version messed up, it could not be fixed in the second one. The second one will obviously be more appealing than the first but the first still needs to be attractive enough to take over the market. This needs to be the new razor ... or I guess the chocolate is a better example now.

sartinsauce

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
Los Angeles
\I have to make a decision in the next couple of weeks to replace my current phone or wait till January after the announcements.

Why do you have to make the decision now? Is there a gun to your head? Are you impatient? Young? Prone to instant gratification?

Are you one of those people who won't buy a new MacBook because there might be a newer one coming in the next six months?

Sorry, not trying to bash or flame.

Back on topic... I like the idea that this phone may be unlocked. It's so bothersome to have technology tied to long service contracts. It's such a painful business strategy for the consumers. Similarly, I'm excited by the rumors that there will be both CDMA and GSM versions of the product. Everyone wins that way. Not just everyone in America, but most of the world. That's the rumor I want to believe in the most.

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Back on topic... I like the idea that this phone may be unlocked. It's so bothersome to have technology tied to long service contracts. It's such a painful business strategy for the consumers. Similarly, I'm excited by the rumors that there will be both CDMA and GSM versions of the product. Everyone wins that way. Not just everyone in America, but most of the world. That's the rumor I want to believe in the most.

I'm pretty sure that it'll be unlocked. Apple(steve) wants to be in control.
It would even suprise me A LOT if it were a locked phone. Thank god we don't have locked phones over here (they're illegal).

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
That's the whole point. They want you to buy a Mac.

BTW, Apple remote desktop allows you to access your Mac from anyplace. and remote desktop is just Apple's version of VNC which is free.

Sure, if your work PC has to necessary ports opened up and if your Mac is running and if you have a fixed IP at home (which most people do not have) and if you have the money to burn on ARD.

jmbear

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
Mexico
Dear Santa Jobs

Make a phone that has the following:

Tri-Band (World Phone)
Wi-Fi/Wi-Max
iChat, Google Talk, MSN Messenger etc...
Camera
Video Confering
Email
Web Surfing

You have my money

Basically, when the phone detects Wi-Fi/Wi-Max it connects and you have free (or almost free) outgoing calls through Skype (or similar services), otherwise it works on GSM or CDMA. When you have Wi-Fi/Wi-Max you can do video conferering (that would be so sweet).

I know people say that Wi-Fi/Wi-Max sucks battery life, but guess what? YOU CAN TURN IT OFF! I don´t really need a phone with more than a 12 hours of battery life, because whenever I am on the car or in my house I charge it. Battery life should only be meaningful for people that have access to the power grid every 4 days!

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I believe we're talking about hardware problems, not iTunes problems. Why did you list an iTunes problem?

The problems with the Intel Mini, 5.5G iPod and 2G Nano are minor problems ... I haven't even heard about them before. And what does "screen line has massive problems" mean? What screen? What product?

Out of the 4 problems you listed, only 3 make sense, only 2 are applicable, and only 1 has been acknowledged by Apple.

Notebooks are handeled different than mobile phones. There's different teams and departments in Apple. Why would the notebook team work on the iPhone? Wouldn't the iPod team/department work on it? Despite the 1G Nano's case being scratched easily, iPods have had few major problems. I suspect the iPhone will have a minor problem or two, but nothing to stop sales. I am willing to bet that the iPhone will have no major problems.

Great. An Apple Apologist.

Lovely.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Make a phone that has the following:

Tri-Band (World Phone)
Wi-Fi/Wi-Max
iChat, Google Talk, MSN Messenger etc...
Camera
Video Confering
Email
Web Surfing
There are no mobile WiMax networks, yet. What good will it do to have it on your phone? Maybe in a few years, but not now.

I know people say that Wi-Fi/Wi-Max sucks battery life, but guess what? YOU CAN TURN IT OFF! I don´t really need a phone with more than a 12 hours of battery life, because whenever I am on the car or in my house I charge it. Battery life should only be meaningful for people that have access to the power grid every 4 days!
I don't wanna deal with charging everyday.

Hami

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
My 2¢ on Mac and iTunes intergration...

It occurred to me yesterday on the walk home from work as I listened to my iPod that Apple may have given a hint to a feature in the upcoming iPhone and/or 6g iPod.

iTunes 7 introduced a new feature of Transfer Purchased Songs from "Your iPod Name Here". This is a good feature but I think there might be more behind it.

Imagine if the iPhone is able to browse the Internet and the specifically the iTunes Store (either by Wifi hotspot or using your carrier's network). You then could purchase music from where ever you are, download and listen to it on you iPhone and when you get home easily transfer you newly purchased music to your iTunes.

I for one am hoping see a forth coming option of Transfer Purchased Songs from "Your iPhone Name Here", that and a whole host of other features.

Am I off the mark? Thoughts?

/ Hami

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Great. An Apple Apologist.

Lovely.

I like how you responded to my points instead of making a personal attack. :rolleyes:

Serously, if you can't support and argue your point, do you really understand it? Or believe it?

I just don't follow your logic, and even some of your points. Screen line? I still don't know what screen line is, and how will I know if you call me names instead of telling me? And I don't get why the notebook division of Apple would be making the iPhone ... :confused:

I'm not an Apple apologist. I know Apple isn't perfect. I know 3 people who have gotten MBPs .. they have all gotten replacements. I just don't follow your arguement. And if you actually had reasons do believe what you do, why don't you give them instead of personally attacking me?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Grab a stopwatch, start typing an SMS text message and note the time.
Now, speak the same thing and time that.

Get it now?:cool:

You're right. It is quicker to text my dad than to try to call him up and wait for him to answer and tell him.
I completely missed your point? Maybe on the old T9 input, but iTap made texting about a billion times faster.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
You're right. It is quicker to text my dad than to try to call him up and wait for him to answer and tell him.
I completely missed your point? Maybe on the old T9 input, but iTap made texting about a billion times faster.

I'm afraid you did miss the point.....

The debated point was whether typing an SMS was quicker than hitting a Record button, speaking then sending (like a text message) that recording to an entry/person in your address book. Not a regular phone call, or waiting for 'your dad' to answer the phone. I'm sure I responded in context...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.