Apple iPhone Glass Surface and Battery Life Improved

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple issued a press release today indicating that the iPhone has seen a few improvements since it was first introduced in January.
iPhone will feature up to 8 hours of talk time, 6 hours of Internet use, 7 hours of video playback or 24 hours of audio playback. In addition, iPhone will feature up to 250 hours—more than 10 days—of standby time.
The press release also report sthat the 3.5" display has been upgaded from plastic to "optical-quality glass" for superior clarity and scratch resistance.

The iPhone will be available on June 29th at Apple Retail and Online stores as well as AT&T's select retail stores.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
For what we're paying and the expected usage, this is great news. I was starting to wonder if an Invisible Shield would interfere with the touch screen.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
hmm, which thread to i comment? i think this is great news; battery life was one of my biggest concerns about the iphone. should i stock up on some windex?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
For what we're paying and the expected usage, this is great news. I was starting to wonder if an Invisible Shield would interfere with the touch screen.
An invisible shield wouldn't interrupt the function of the touch screen in any significant way, but it would make it harder to slide your finger on the surface, and significantly reduces optical quality.

This is awesome news. If the battery life is even 2/3 what they say I will be very happy, and the move to glass should make the iPhone a significantly better product, both in terms of durability and in terms of look and feel.

kskill

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
new york, ny
that's fantastic! only downside [hardly a downside when iPhone is already pretty sick] is that now it's doubtful they'll be updating this anymore for a while.

how long till an 80gb iPhone?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Cool :) It's getting harder for me to wait for Ver B! But I will be strong.

8 hrs battery life means a lot of cushion before there's any need to worry about replacing the hard-to-access battery.

They're still not mentioning that the actual display SIZE is 3.6", not 3.5". But their own images at http://apple.com/pr --and the fact that it's 160 ppi (I did the math)--make that pretty clearly true.

pdxdeano

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
iPhone Haters

I feel sorry for the iPhone haters. This gives them two less things to write about.:p

csimmons

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2002
Stuttgart, Germany
that's fantastic! only downside is that this is probably the only update iPhone will see until before launch. ...doubtful they'll be updating this anymore for a while now.

how long till an 80gb iPhone?
I personally don't see the point of having 80GB in a device that is so susceptible to damage like a cell phone, which is one of the reasons I own a nano instead of a full blown iPod.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
that is awesome news except i dont live in the US and i will be getting my iPhone in a little less than a year from now.....can't wait.....hopefully when they release iPhone in Australia it'll be even better.....anyway, i will be glued to this site and youtube and every site that people post stuff about the iPhone on on saturday....it'll be released in the US at 8:00 am saturday (aussie time).......im excited even though i am no where near getting my hands on one.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I personally don't see the point of having 80GB in a device that is so susceptible to damage like a cell phone, which is one of the reasons I own a nano instead of a full blown iPod.
I agree, there won't be a hard disk in an iPhone.

I want 16GB--or better yet 32--but it has to be flash storage. No fragile, slow-to-spin-up, battery-sucking HDs for me! (Same goes for my future subnotebook, for that matter.)

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I just read this on Apple.com this morning and I think it's amazing.

The phone is appealing to me now....But then again so are a lot of $500 products. I also tend to lose my phone often...like every day.

blindzero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Man...

When do these things go into production? It comes out in 11 days. Surely they've started putting these things together already if they are going to have 3 million of them?

Was this decision just made or are they trickling out improvement press releases to build the value of the phone back up after some of the expected backlash began. Smart. Does the double duty of showing Apple's commitment to providing a great product as well as showing Apple wants to ensure the value is recognized to help curb the inevitable initial backlash from the rest of the cell phone makers and carriers.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Man...

When do these things go into production? It comes out in 11 days. Surely they've started putting these things together already if they are going to have 3 million of them?
They have been in production for a while, and this "update" we are hearing now is just to further build the hype.

Generally, apples portable electronics (ipod) battery estimates are decent, so heres to hoping these numbers are accurate! :apple:

hanzoh

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2005
Did anyone notice, that there isn't any footnote or (*) at the prices?

iPhone will be available in the US on June 29, 2007 in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US), and will work with either a PC or Mac®. iPhone will be sold in the US through Apple’s retail and online stores, and through AT&T’s select retail stores.
No word about any contract/plan!

ajpprc

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2006
This is great news if true. These times would put it amongst the longest lasting phones out there. I'm sure though that the web browsing time was done using the Edge connection, Wi-Fi use will probably have a seriously detrimental impact on the battery life.

ainiw

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2003
Netherlands
Just one thought: if it is glass, how about possible breaking the glass? Of course, you should not drop it or bump it, but my celphone has survived some falls. Will the iPhone do?

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Good news, if true. Dvorak and others have criticized the hypothetical battery life of this unreleased product. I wonder if the battery has been upgraded somehow from the one originally planned? Usually, Apple's estimates are in the ballpark if not 100% perfect.

Anxiously awaiting the early reviews!

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
Any thoughts on what the delivery period will be on Apple.com? I really don't want to stay in line at the ATT store or drive 2 hours for the closest Apple store, but I will want to buy one.......

magic

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2002
Interesting that the release no longer mentions AT&T's online store. Just the select retail stores. Apple still has its online store mentioned...

The plot thickens. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.