Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has posted the Pods Unite television commercial to their website.

The Pods Unite campaign pairs the Volkswagen Beetle and Apple's iPod and will be featured in multiple markets: television, radio, newspaper, boardcast meda, and e-commerce through the end of September. The promotion offers a free iPod with 2003 Beetle sedan buyers.

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
What happened to Apple and creative advertising?
Think Different Apple.
This is sad.

mingisback

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
United States
intresting partnership

a lot of my friends say it's common for them to see Apple Stickers on VW cars. like a person that is really into one of the brands is into both.

how many of you would believe this to be true. maybe i'd get a better responce askin this same question at a VW board.... who knows. :)

beloit08

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2003
I have a black p.o.s. Jetta. One of the first things I did was stick a white Apple sticker on the back bumper.

But I don't know why... :confused:

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
I like it, I admit the song could have been better but the video itself was nice and smooth, the part where she takes out the the earphones and turns the music on in her car was a smart way to end it, but the song...either way its just a commercial, I've seen worse, much worse.

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
Ooooh, I like this *very* much. But I like all VW commercials. Almost as cool as the cars!

elo

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
cool, polymorphic spree in a apple/VW advert...wild, great song, cool but wacky band...they seem to be taking off a bit inthe uk, and look like a strange cult...hmmm bit like apple then ;)

phgreer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Greenville, SC
If Apple wants to appeal to a broader market then they should get away from the Neo-Hippiyism. It's getting old. I don't care if Jobs was a hippy.

Tue12

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Awful commercial. I had to explain to my gf that the iPod would come free.

"Buy a beattle. Get an ipod" says nothing about "free".

Now we have to read news site to understand commercials?

Apple's advertising is at an all time low. They suck and they suck big time! The g5 commercial is atrocious.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Well, yeah....

Originally posted by phgreer
If Apple wants to appeal to a broader market then they should get away from the Neo-Hippiyism. It's getting old.

Well, yeah....that's because all us hippies ARE getting old....

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Re: intresting partnership

Originally posted by mingisback
a lot of my friends say it's common for them to see Apple Stickers on VW cars. like a person that is really into one of the brands is into both.

how many of you would believe this to be true. maybe i'd get a better responce askin this same question at a VW board.... who knows. :)

I have an Apple sticker on my VW! :p Both brands stand for more than just the pure product - they personify a lifestyle that I enjoy.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Apples ads? i'm pretty sure by the VW and no apple logo at the end, that its a VW ad... plus isn't it a bit obvious that you get a ipod free if they say, buy a bug and get a iPod...uits not as if they are just recommending tyouy to buy one when you get a bug....

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by dstorey
cool, polymorphic spree in a apple/VW advert...wild, great song, cool but wacky band...they seem to be taking off a bit inthe uk, and look like a strange cult...hmmm bit like apple then ;)

It's the Polyphonic Spree... :rolleyes:

They are from the DFW area in Texas, so not everything is hick and backwards here. ;) :)

phgreer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Greenville, SC
Re: Re: intresting partnership

Originally posted by zarathustra
I have an Apple sticker on my VW! :p Both brands stand for more than just the pure product - they personify a lifestyle that I enjoy.

What kind of lifestyle would that be?

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
That's a VW commercial

I don't think that you can criticize Apple for the commercial if you don't like it-it's not an Apple commercial. It's a VW commercial that features an Apple product.

Also, I'm amazed at the number of people who read and comment in these forums who must do work on commercials. Really, they have such harsh words and know how it coud be done better. Maybe they should be doing commercials for Apple.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Some of you guys are morons and those who rated this negative are idiots. This makes the iPod seem like the only player out there, the absolute best mp3 player there is. It assumes that everyone knows what the iPod is, and if you don't, you're lost behind some cloud. This is no short of absolutely stating the iPod is the ****. This is also, a um, VW commercial as told by the um, lack of Apple logo but presence of a VW logo. :rolleyes:

Some are so quick to whine, bithc and moan that they forget to realize how stupid they luck to others. This is fantastic for Apple and the iPod.

Side note- those who claim VW quality lagging, don't have one, don't read consumer reports or edmunds.com and are in the extreme minority (as most whiners on this site are)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.