Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Re: intresting partnership

Originally posted by evolu
Design-aware non-conformists!

And PS, The Polyphonic Spree was a great choice musically.

The wackiest part about this is that when I first clicked on the video to watch the VW/iPod commercial, I was listening to The Polyphonic Spree --- Days Like This, and then 'Reach For The Sun' starts playing in the commercial, and I thought that it was my mp3 playlist skipping over to the next song. :cool:

Good VW commercial. I think that VW makes some great commercials, and they use some pretty great songs in their commercials. I hope the same deal is in Canada so that the commercial runs here too.

I remember when I was living in the UK for a while, and they had a VW Beetle commercial featuring a new and unheard of song. It ended up being a song called "Strange and Beautiful" by someone named Aqualung. Dang, that was a "sic" commercial. Hehe, "sic". There I go, speaking my ebonics again, foshizzle my nizzle. ;)

PS: The G5 commercial, despite the fact you guys think its more "Apple-y", is crap. :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Did you say I get a free VW when I buy an iPod? That's just so great that.... oh, what's that you say? A free iPod? OK, so I get a free VW and a free iPod? Gee, they make these commercials so confusing!

By the way, this commercial seems to show someone driving while listening to an iPod despite the disclaimer in the ad warning you not to play an iPod while driving.

Maclicious

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Seattle
The Honda Element web page has (or used to have when I check a while back) a picture of an iPod being used by its passangers--the Element has a little port where the iPod (or probably any digital device) can be plugged in. I'll be purchasing the Element over a VW... when a hybrid Element is finally available :).

Steve M

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by nagromme
I don't know how many people will get the "Pods Unite" slogan--it went over my head for about 2 days. (They mean that the New Beetle is a "pod"?)

Many in the New Beetle community have been referring to their cars as "pods" since the New Beetle was introduced. I have a feeling that either Apple or VW got wind of this (perhaps due to sites like http://www.allpodsgotoroswell.net) and decided to use the terminology to tie the two products together.

I know a LOT of people in the NB community who have iPods, myself included. I only wish VW would make the cupholder iPod holder available for sale. There are a lot of Mac users in general in the NB community -- a higher percentage than outside that community, actually.

As to the VW Vortex post, I know that http://www.mohawk-motorsport.com is working on productizing the CD changer pass through cables as a kit, so you'll be able to buy them instead of making them.

I like the commercial, it's pretty typical Volkswagen, and very reminescent of the first series of New Beetle commercials that aired when the model was launched in 1998.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
A lot of you have been saying that Apple should make the iPod cupholder contraption an accessory for you to purchase. But maybe, just maybe, the cupholder is of a specific shape, and so even if you did purchase it for your car, it may not actually fit the cupholder properly.

I've never been inside a VW Beetle, but this is a huge possibility, fo sho.

mproud

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Volkswagen a Perfect Match

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I think the promotion itself is splendid.

Volkswagen has that appeal and "cool" factor, emphasis on the driving experience, and quality with their products that gets buyers coming back. They introduced the successful New Beetle and soon released it in a cute assortment of colors (where does this sound familiar?).

VW's ads aren't overly glitzy and they don't show slow motion shots of vehicles while comparing them to stationary glacial excrement. Instead, they are simply witty and stylish, and are aimed at young drivers and people who want to be different.

To me, this is the best match for Apple. Two companies with the same mission. I couldn't think of anything better.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Re: Did everyone miss the most important part?

Originally posted by SoapmakerX
Did everyone miss that there is a cool stand for the iPod, where can i get this for MY car, i don't want a peice of crap 2 year warranty VW!

Tim

Actually it's a Four year warranty and the VW has some of the best quality and safety reports since 1999. These are solid products (both the beatle and the iPod) sold together in a pleasing package. Andfor those nocking the ad, realise that it's a commercial, not an infomercial. if you want more info, go to the website like every other product out there.

Here, inform yourself

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
its cool

iPods are cool
Beetles are cool
commercial is cool (i'm guessing thats the flaming lips doing the music but apparently it's the Polyphinic Spree)
It was just a matter of time before my two favorite toys got together.

oh...

as others have finally pointed out, this is a VW ad and NOT an Apple ad. Its the same ad campaign they have used since the new beetles have been around. I remember doing a story for an auto magazine when the new beetle was just a concept car. It was origionally meant to be a hybrid electric/gas car.

I like this.

Now we just need a place to mount our iBooks or some GPS SW for the iPod.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I liked it, just thought that there should be some more shots of both products that showed them as a whole (instead of so many close ups). Both really sell on their form factor, and I think the commercial should show them as whole units more.

But I really liked how, at the beginning, the close up shots they were showing could have been either the ipod or the beetle.

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Everyone's a critic

You guys that keep bashing Apple because the ad wasn't up to your standards need to go find a girl or something. It wasn't even their commercial, they just put their ipod in it. Time to come out of your mom's basement. I bet most of the critics here didn't even know that it aired during the All Star Game, they just saw it on one of these message boards....Sad...

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Originally posted by Tue12
Awful commercial. I had to explain to my gf that the iPod would come free.

"Buy a beattle. Get an ipod" says nothing about "free".
No offense to your gf, but it seemed rather obvious that it came with the car...FREE.

Steve M

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by Flowbee
I just put my iPod *in* my cupholder. :eek:

I do that too. But spirited driving can cause it to fall out, because it's not clamped in place. The iPod connectivity kit that comes in this promo includes a bracket that holds the iPod securely and fits snugly in one of the cupholders. Go to http://www.vw.com/podsunite and enter the Flash site, you can see pictures of it.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by Steve M
I do that too. But spirited driving can cause it to fall out, because it's not clamped in place. The iPod connectivity kit that comes in this promo includes a bracket that holds the iPod securely and fits snugly in one of the cupholders. Go to http://www.vw.com/podsunite and enter the Flash site, you can see pictures of it.

OK... I'll admit that the cradle would make the iPods controls easier to access. It wont be long before there are 3rd party variations on this design available for the non VW market. Hmmm... that gives me an idea :cool:

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
I actually thought it was smart to start off with a cassette adapter. It keeps costs down from having to change stereos and dash configurations just for the promo, meaning when the promo is done, they don't have 20 beatles they can't sell just sitting on the lot. They can just send back the iPods and their kits.

The idea is to offer something other cars don't in a factory equiped car, a removeable digital lifestyle device. Plus, if someone is really into quality sound, the money one might spend (if so inclined) on a iPod + a mount setup (that isn't available to outright purchase) + charger hook up +RCA hook ups can now put that cost (which would be $557.85 US total for a compareable, but not quite as well thought out complete mobile solution can now use the money to have a cable mounted directly to the back of the stereo through an RCA unit, something a person not yet comfortable with the idea of an iPod might not want.

I think it is safe for VW because it can pull the promo quickly if needed, and apple has an ecconomical way to show how easly it can be to have a ipod hook up in one's car. everyone's happy all around.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
I think in a few months we'll see a few of these mounts on ebay, especially if they don't sell out all their kits.

saulbug

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2003
Pods Unite

The ad campaign is "Pods Unite", not "iPods Unite". The VW is not an iPod.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
The concept is good, but I'm somewhat disappointed in the execution. I was hoping for a simple arm with a single connector, rather than a non-electronic mount that sits in a cup holder with a separate power adapter and a cassette adapter for the audio. Seems a little "thrown together"

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
the "Pods Unite" "iPods Unite" issue has been dealt with. People shouldn't be aloud to post with out reading the whole thread. No offence to you in particular Saulbug, just thought it had to be said.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
okay, so the vw site offers some free mp3's, oddly enough they do not offer that song in the commercial.... if i download them, how do i prove that i own them and did not download them illegally... hehe... just kidding...

I say, any commercial exposer that apple can get though reliable companies is good exposer.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
I think it's good, but could've been better. It's too bad that being a VW commercial there's no Apple logo or mention.

I like the visual style of the ad. I also like the song, but I don't care for the audio transition. It was a bit abrupt and the timing is such that I though there was something wrong at first.

I also would've cut a couple of imagery shots and then included more of the woman with the iPod...perhaps a shot showing the iPod attached to her as she's walking to the car.

The G5 ad grew on me. I really didn't like it at first, but there's something about the whole, "it's more power than you can handle unless you have a really big p*enis" thing that works a little, but could've worked a lot better IF...

They had shown lots of cool stuff on the monitor instead of just showing the desktop...perhaps also having two monitors. Also Jeff should have spoken numbers as the camera enters the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.