Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Judogi

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2002
Actually, I find it rather amusing that Apple is teaming up with VW on this one. At least it is a NuBee in the ad. Trying to group together an original beetle with an iPod would be a bit of a stretch, more like give away a free Windows PC with a new Jaguar purchase. Great car, crappy computer. The old beetles would be better compared to a Windows box - constant maintenance, extremely picky to keep running, and always seems to break down at the least opportune time. Damn #3 cylinder burnt again! Let's see, time to change the oil, set the valves, tune the carb, etc etc. And if you need new parts, they're cheap as hell. But that's what it's all about right? Getting the cheapest Thing (no pun intended) that will get you by? Of course, they don't sell the original beetle in the states anymore so my post has no real relevance.

sacrilicious

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2003
Portland, OR
Nor are the original Beetles that unreliable, Judogi.

Of course, I have a new one. It's aluminum, though, so it won't match the iPod. Hello, PowerBook.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by Websnapx2
bob knob => see my second last post.

sorry, third last :confused:

The post before your "third last" was the last when started to write mine... I hate when you get interrupted by a tele-marketer, but that's another thread on another board.
I'm mostly disappointed in the use of the cassette adapter. Every car I've (and family members) bought in the last five or so years that had a "factory radio head" had a connector for a factory CD changer. The connector/adapter that I use for my Honda CRV to hook up my iPod was only $35 and a few minutes to install.

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Well... i'd think no one would buy a new beetle to get the ipod, but how about a 'buy an ipod and get a new beetle' kind of thing? That would be a blast:)

Think different
Sebi

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Originally posted by sebisworld
Well... i'd think no one would buy a new beetle to get the ipod

Think different
Sebi

true, but if you were looking at a beetle already, or choosing between it and another car, I know it would sway me. But no, I wouldn't buy a beetle for the iPod if I wern't already looking.

cristiana

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2003
It just uses a tape adapter

I looked at the ipod/beetle site, and it interfaces to the radio with just a tape adapter. They didn't make a minijack input into the stereo, or made better acommodations for it.
I have a beetle, and use an ipod, and when i used a tape adapter, the stupid 'music sensor system' kept fast forwarding whenever there was a pause in the music. It was a big pain, and there is no way of turning the damn system off. The only thing unique to this deal is the ipod holder that mounts inside the cupholder. I hope they release that separately, because I would buy one in a second.
I know i have posted this before, but i added an rca input to my new beetle's stock stereo. You can see it here http://cloud13.com/vwaux/

rgury

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by SoonToGetAMac
I've heard VW's quality has been going downhill, but who can resiest a GTI VR6?

That's what I got :) But I hard-wired it with an FM Modulator, having all those wires when you're flying 'round a corner sucks. All I do is place my ipod into a dock on the dash and throw a little strereo headphone jack into it, that way you only see an inch of wire.

VW and Apple make extremly sexy machines, screw those who think otherwise.

morgan-e

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2003
Illinois, USA
People are upset about this???? I think this is great for two reasons:
1) Boosting sales in Beetles because they are currently the only VW model that doesn't come standard with In-dash CD.
2) Possibly introducing an Apple product to someone that isn't familiar with them. The iPod's performance and ease of use could easiliy produce a fair amount of 'switchers'

and the two brands DO employ a similar design philosophy. Head-above-the-rest industrial design, ease of use etc.

p.s. - yeah, i have an Apple logo sticker on my Jetta, but i'm a BMW driver at heart.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I captured the ad and looked carefully at the notice at the bottom (for 4 seconds, starting 21 seconds into the ad). It says
Get an iPod with purchase or lease of any 2003 New Beetle, except New Beetle convertible. Offer available in U.S. until 9/30/03, or while supplies last. Don't operate while driving.
I'm missing something. If you can't use the iPod while driving, what is the purpose of having an iPod holder and a connecting cable?

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
good idea

i love the idea... too bad i got a beetle a year and a bit ago, altho, i would love to buy the cool cup holder they made... do u think they will be sold seperatly perhaps?

VT_hawkeye

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2003
Richmond, VA
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I captured the ad and looked carefully at the notice at the bottom (for 4 seconds, starting 21 seconds into the ad). It saysI'm missing something. If you can't use the iPod while driving, what is the purpose of having an iPod holder and a connecting cable?

That's legal boilerplate, so some idiot doesn't sue VW (and probably Apple too) when they wreck their car messing with the iPod instead of paying attention to the road.

--vth, an iPod and '03 Jetta TDI owner... 700 miles on one tank of diesel, and no changing CDs on the way

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
The beetle is a coupe, not a sedan....

Originally posted by raschild
I, too, have a VW and am a big fan of its cousin (Audi), and Apple. This is the perfect pair.

Audi would be more like a child to VW.... considering VW owns Audi

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I captured the ad and looked carefully at the notice at the bottom (for 4 seconds, starting 21 seconds into the ad). It saysI'm missing something. If you can't use the iPod while driving, what is the purpose of having an iPod holder and a connecting cable?

I think operate refers to you fingering around with it. It sureyly plays musik while driving ;)

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
Re: Different View

Originally posted by AngusB
Of course, if they really wanted to be clever...they would sell a $20,000 Ipod that comes with a free VW Bug

Totally agree, that could be an interesting angle!

As far as the ad goes; I´d rather have a good looking iPod than a car with a way too heavy behind. Or is it the front? It´s nostalgia gone bonkers.

If I had to pay $20,000 for the iPod, I could at least give the car away.

Nobs

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2003
Ohio
Originally posted by Tue12

Apple's advertising is at an all time low. They suck and they suck big time! The g5 commercial is atrocious.

And why exactly do you find the g5 commerical atrocious? Isn't that a bit of an overstatement?

morgan-e

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2003
Illinois, USA
Originally posted by Choppaface
The beetle is a coupe, not a sedan....

Audi would be more like a child to VW.... considering VW owns Audi

not to get too off-topic but by that rationale Lamborgini, Bugatti, Seat and Bentley are also 'children of VW' ;)

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
I just did it to my neon

I went to a closeout store where they sold cell phone holders found the perfect place for it an it works like a charm is great much better than putting my 15gig ipod in the cupholder.. pictures to follow tomorrow:D I forgot the whole thing cost me $5.00

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.