Apple iPod Camera Connector

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In addition to New iPod Models released today, Apple also announced a new "iPod Camera Connector" accessory.

The optional accessory allows users to connect their digital camera directly to the iPod Photo and to import their photos into the iPod.

Imported photos are viewable on the iPod Photo and can be synced with iPhoto on the Mac (as well as various photo apps on the PC). It will be available in late March for $29.

Recent comments by PortalPlayer's CEO predicted the emergance of more Photo integration with existing media players.

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
Brilliant.

This attachment with the lower price will make the iPod photo sell. Finally.

Looks like Apple is learning from their mistakes, to the betterment of Apple and its customers alike.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
At last the iPod photo will make sense!
If I ever get a digital camera, I will definitively buy one.

unclewilco

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2005
i would love to transfer my digital photos to my 40gb old ipod, I dont want to view them, I just want to store them while Iam away from a PC.

but i assume that this connector will only work with the new ipodphoto, and i will have to get a thirdparty device and not upgrade..

thanks

wilco

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
This is the best news of the day... Might even be enough to persuade me to get one of the new 30gb photos.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
unclewilco said:
i would love to transfer my digital photos to my 40gb old ipod, I dont want to view them, I just want to store them while Iam away from a PC.

but i assume that this connector will only work with the new ipodphoto, and i will have to get a thirdparty device and not upgrade..

thanks

wilco
There have been a couple of devices made by Belkin that have allowed this for some time. You can find them on the online Apple Store, or in Apple retail stores.

unclewilco

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2005
Chaszmyr said:
There have been a couple of devices made by Belkin that have allowed this for some time. You can find them on the online Apple Store, or in Apple retail stores.
thanks, i know, but it would be nice to get this cheaper alternative....!

good luck
wilco

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
unclewilco said:

thanks

wilco
Do you have a Mac or a Windows PC? If you are using Firewire, you should be able to connect the iPod in target disk mode and then copy them onto it using Finder. I believe you get into this mode by holding down forward and reverse while you plug the iPod in -- at least, that's on the pre-clickwheel pods.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
This BETTER work with my 40gb iPod photo! I see no reason, after an update, why it wouldn't, but it better...

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
this deffinitly ads to the iPod photo. i want someone to come out with a wireless adapter to hook up to airport express!!!

unclewilco

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Do you have a Mac or a Windows PC? If you are using Firewire, you should be able to connect the iPod in target disk mode and then copy them onto it using Finder. I believe you get into this mode by holding down forward and reverse while you plug the iPod in -- at least, that's on the pre-clickwheel pods.
sorry did not make it clear..

when iam out on the road with my digital camera(and ipod And NO PC/mac which is most of the time) and fill my 512mb card, i would love to just move the photos in RAW format off the camera, to the ipod and then carry on shooting.. without having to carry extra memory cards... the belkin option is bulky and eats batterys... so i was hoping for an apple solution to my problem, without upgrading to a new photo ipod which i would not have any use for, who wants to view 6mb images on a tiny screen its bad enough on the Camera!

some more info on thisi connector would be useful

regards
wilco

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
okay, thanks to MacOSXRumors, they point out it's jsut a text blurb that reads new features like:

Choose new slideshow transitions on the go

Upload photos directly from your camera using the optional iPod Camera Connector accessory, also arriving in March

this is on the iPod downloads table on the right side

elzo

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2004
iPod Photo

Now a real reason to own an iPod photo. 25,000 pictures, 15,000 tunes and being able to connect to your camera.

All for £309 - Works for me!

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
goodwill said:
bad ass

this will be perfect for my nikon d70.
you beat me to it - this is brilliant - now i will wait for the cable and then go out and buy the whole thing - i am wondering ? do you think we can transfer raw format just the same as jpeg ? if that is the case, then heck, i could do with 80 or even 120 gigs - but hey, i can dream, no ? :)

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
Trimix said:
you beat me to it - this is brilliant - now i will wait for the cable and then go out and buy the whole thing - i am wondering ? do you think we can transfer raw format just the same as jpeg ? if that is the case, then heck, i could do with 80 or even 120 gigs - but hey, i can dream, no ? :)
Well this is the "year of HD." iPhoto was recently updated to support raw, so i'd be surprised if the new iPod photo doesn't.

Serialexp

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2005
Well, the new iPod Photos use iPod Photo Software 1.0, same as the old ones, and the iPod update software on the iPod downloads page does not differentiate between new iPod Photos and old ones, so I'm sure that all of the accessories and software for the new Photo models will work with the old ones. Also, the software refers to adding support for second generation iPod minis but says nothing about adding support for second-gen iPod photos.

So don't worry. The only differences between the new and old iPod photos is the change in packed in accessories and the shift from 40Gb to 30Gb. There's no change in functionality between them.

Roll on March, I say - looks like Apple are really going to push the photo aspect...

PCtoMac

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2005
Awesome News

This is great news, especially since I was just about to get a 40GB iPod!!!

Only problem is, I was going to buy the JBL On Stage Speakers for the iPod (Apple Store), but they do not support Photo iPods.... :(

Anybody know of any good speakers, like the JBL On Stage, that will support the iPod Photo???

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
A photographer on the road, a 60 GB iPod Photo, and this adapter seem like a very convenient combination. Not much to lug around and a lot of photos can be transferred and kept.