Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unc32

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
The iPod is going to die a quick death as it is replaced by the mini in the mainstream. Just look at the rankings of the apple site. Most people who want to buy these things don't need the gigantic space and like the small size. We seem to forget how short a life-span a product has in modern electron culture. Just look at the cellphone market...the V60 was everywhere 2 years ago and now is gone. Fortunately, apple has made a product capable of replacing the orginial ipod and can continue in the marketplace. Perhaps the best analogy is back to motorolla and the v60 replacing the ubiqous(sp) StarTac. I can't wait to order mine.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
There will always be a need for high capacity mp3 players. The regular iPod will not die. Everyone who buys those 200 cd holders are perfect customers for the larger capacity iPods. :p

MM2270

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
New York
Something new

Well, I just have to make this comment. I was at the SoHo NY Apple Store this weekend to hear David Pogue do his 1 1/2 hour talk on tips and tricks in Panther. It was a good, entertaining session, and I learned a few things I never knew Panther could do.

But, as we were sitting there waiting for him to come out and start, they had what appeared to be commercials playing on the big sreen. There were quite a few for the iPod I had never seen before, and one of them really struck me! It showed a hand using an iPod in the lower right corner, scrolling through playlists and genres, and in the background was a full screen image that "scrolled' along with it, kind of like the old TV sets when the image "rolled", but the difference was that each image was something different that was supposed to represent a song or genre of music. Then the hand would come to a stop on one and start playing. This image, for example a field with flowers would come to the front and the image zoomed through, like you were flying through the scene. Then the hand popped up again, and scrolled through images again, stopped on a hoppin' scene with a DJ mixing it up, and again, the view would zoom through the scene, all as the music played. I believe there was one other after that, but I don't recall now what it was.

The point is, as I was watching, I thought, DAMN, that is an AWESOME commercial. Then I got angry, because obviously Apple has not released these to be aired. I can't understand why they've chosen to go with these dumb dancing silhouette people instead of something cooler, like this one.

I don't know how well I described these commercials, but believe me, they were REALLY awesome. I just wish Apple would get them on TV already!

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
Never have like the dancing shadow ad series. An the latest ipod bores me. I think I called it a step sideways on aother thread.

I want a real rumor. Like ... Apple called into Area 51 to assist in development of back-engineered alien technology.

unc32

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
It may not die but will be regulated to the second tier. I would bet that 2x as many minis will be sold than regular.

dv8godd

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2004
Alexandria, VA., USA
Originally posted by unc32
The iPod is going to die a quick death as it is replaced by the mini in the mainstream.

and...

Originally posted by unc32
Just look at the rankings of the apple site. Most people who want to buy these things don't need the gigantic space and like the small size.

and...

Fortunately, apple has made a product capable of replacing the orginial ipod and can continue in the marketplace.

Sorry... I don't see how the Mini will, was intended to, or is in any way capable of "replacing" the iPod.

It is not significantly cheaper... not significantly smaller... does not fill the market segment Jobs' said it does... uses a less intuitive interface... has fewer features... and a lot less storage space.

Continue to innovate... yes, by all means. Short product lifespans... definitely.

But how on earth did you arrive at the assessment that, since technology is disposable, Apple should take steps backward in product development?

I agree that many people want smaller iPods... and that those people have spoken. But you miss two key facts...

1) The first generation Mini is not what most of these people wanted at all.

2) You've totally ignored all the other people who already bought regular iPods because they were exactly what those people wanted. Just because 10 people stand up and say "make it smaller" doesn't mean 50 weren't standing behind them thinking "it's perfect like it is". People who want change are always more vocal than the ones who are already content.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
OK... Well I saw this ad last night during one of the football games. I think its better than the others. The iPod mini could potentially take over the low end iPods when 1 inch drives get larger capacities. It will be a long time before minis get 20, 30, or 40 GB drives, which means the iPod is going nowhere.

papersushi

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
What's the song's name on ipod ads 3

It's a very nice dancing mix, anyone knows what's the name that song on ipod ads 3? Thanks!

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
...Can someone please point me to a place where I can legally acquire the song featured in this ad? Seems odd that Apple would use a song that's not even available for download on ITMS to pitch their product (ITMS + iPod).

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Re: Re: but not on iTunes??

Originally posted by MrMacman
Yeah really.

I checked the iTMS, its not there...

Smooth move apple...

:rolleyes:

I like this ad too... damn.

Um... Maybe it will be available tomorrow.
New Music Tuesday... or maybe it won't.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is another in a line of awesome iPod ads. Thanks for the link, just finish downloading! :)

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Larger ipods will not die!

Many DJ's now use the larger capacity ipods. They need the larger hard drives to handle the quantity of music they use.

Larger ipods die? I think not. :rolleyes:

SFNE Freak

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
CT
Re: What's the song's name on ipod ads 3

Originally posted by papersushi
It's a very nice dancing mix, anyone knows what's the name that song on ipod ads 3? Thanks!
Its a Jason Nevins Remix of Rock Star by N.E.R.D.

Dammit, this is the second time I haven't been able to buy OR download a song in one of these commercials. I couldn't find the Rock Star Remix until like a month after it came out. Got Poisoned and Acquisition searching right now and they can't find it, nor does the iTMS have it. Grr.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I saw the commercial twice during the championship games. The music is terrible, of course, but another thing puzzles me: These people are doing very gymnastic dancing, including somersaults.

How can they do that without causing the iPod to skip?

We've heard numerous people complain that the iPod can't be used for jogging, yet Apple's advertising shows people doing far more strenuous physical activity. No legal disclaimer, either.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by cubist
I saw the commercial twice during the championship games. The music is terrible, of course, but another thing puzzles me: These people are doing very gymnastic dancing, including somersaults.

How can they do that without causing the iPod to skip?

We've heard numerous people complain that the iPod can't be used for jogging, yet Apple's advertising shows people doing far more strenuous physical activity. No legal disclaimer, either.

Probably because the ad doesn't last the full 20 minutes or so that iPods are supposed to work (officialy) under movement.
Jogging and doing a few somersaults are completely different things.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Saw the commerical a total of 4 times last night.

Jogging is different from a full on run.

Never had the iPod skip on me while jogging but did while running.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
does any one know what was used to do the keying in the ipod ads? shake / flame / quantel? are the ipods made in 3d & stuck on in the composite or are they part of the original key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.