Apple is as bad at bloatware as Android is!!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rockitdog, Apr 27, 2015.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Apple stop pushing your bloatware onto my iPhone! I don't want an Apple Watch therefore I don't need your apple watch app. I don't read books on my phone so I don't need iBooks on my phone. These should be optional & downloadable if someone wants them. Instead you are eating my precious storage up!

2. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Agreed that Apple is becoming increasingly worse with this, but it isn't at the level most Android phones are

3. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

At least on most new Android devices you can delete a lot of the unwanted apps or at the minimal you can turn them off. No such luck with Apple!

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Agreed, some of the default apps could be made into after-market downloads. When you have the time, perhaps you'd like to send Apple some feedback. There is power in numbers :)

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

5. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

furthermore, podcasts, iBooks, etc used to be downloaded... not installed....

6. DeathBecomesMe macrumors member

DeathBecomesMe

Sorry, but you cannot possibly compare that to amount of carrier bloatware that is preinstalled on an Android phone.

7. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I realize people use "etc" a lot when they run out of things to list.

Good thing Apple allows you to customize your homescreen and you can put unused apps in a folder.

8. paul.p macrumors member

paul.p

Newsstand, voice memos, stocks, compass, tips etc..

9. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

But we shouldn't have to do that. We shouldn't have to have unwanted and unused apps thrown into a folder. Apple used to be better than that.

10. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Those apps have always came with the iPhone. The post I quoted was talking about apps that were once downloadable

11. DeathBecomesMe macrumors member

DeathBecomesMe

I don't know about the latest Android phones, but in the past when say I had an HTC, I had to root and delete bloatware just to stop it from constantly running in the background and sucking down battery. That's not a description of Apple bloatware.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

I agree. Everyone has their definition of bloat ware, the macrumors definition seems to be anything I don't want on my phone. Maybe a few apps should be deleteable, but for what ever reason Apple does not allow it.

13. noobinator macrumors 601

At least the Apple bloat doesn't by default (that I'm aware of) drain your battery and update processes constantly in the background.

14. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

fixed easily - just dont buy a phone from a carrier with bloatware.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think "easily" is rather far from easy there for many given that people don't always have the ability or the desire to flip carriers or get phones from other carriers (in particular just because of something like that).

16. KALLT macrumors 601

Does anyone know whether the Apple Watch app is self-contained or whether it is just a façade for many components that are imbedded into the system already? I assume that the Watch OS goes much deeper into iOS than just that single app the end user sees. This means that the Apple Watch app could be just a few MB in size when all it does is to project system components.

However, that doesn’t absolve them from offering a toggle. They used to do this with the Nike+ app in system preferences, which you could enable or disable.

17. TitsLegendary macrumors 6502

Here's my total "crap" folder
    maps, weather, videos, reminders, stocks, ibooks, newsstand, health, apple watch, facetime, podcasts, game center, compass, tips, and voice memos.

Oh how I'd love to delete them all.

18. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

iPhone is not bad at all when it comes to bloatware. I noticed Galaxies now come with Uber app, and it is not possible to completely delete it....

19. zone23, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

zone23 macrumors 68000

I would have to say thats its a bit of a stretch to say "Apple is as bad at bloatware as Android is!!". Most android apps that come with the phone can only be frozen not deleted big difference especially when you are looking to regain precious space. Deleting bloatware or apps that come with the device doesn't generally regain space because most devices have a system partition (where bloatware is installed) so even if you did delete the app you wouldn't gain any additional user space. You would need to resize the system and user partitions.

20. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

And yet they don't add the useful ones to the iPad (voice memos, weather or a damn calculator).

But totally agree that Podcasts, Tips (are you kidding me?), Health, Game Centre, Compass and even the Contacts app are bloatware.

21. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Because that's an answer to something not so great happening to a device and ecosystem that someone otherwise likes and wants to use?

23. numlock macrumors 68000

what if its an old(er) purchase but those apps just come with updates you have to install?

24. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

And, I use half of them. Am sure Apple tries to strike a balance. It took me about a minute to put the unwanted ones in a folder. And, I think I may have pulled one or two back out.

I have about 60 apps on my iphone, a lot I put there after purchase.

My S4 had MANY more than that. It also ran slower and needed rebooted more often.

I think what came with the iphone is appropriate. Manufacturers don't want you being able to just delete any app. Some, like in Android may be tied to System and have other apps they work with. I think you can only hide Android apps unless you Root. Not sure if that System tie-in applies to any Apple apps.

I find my 6+ lighter and faster than my previous Androids. The Nexus line would be the exception. Not familiar with some of the newer lines, like OPPO.

25. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

While agree that we don't need more bloat ware, apple is not as bad as android due to the fact that the carriers add there bloat ware on top of androids. At least apple doesn't allow the carriers to add it to iPhones.