Apple is facing class action for iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MisakixMikasa, May 1, 2014.

1. MisakixMikasa, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014

MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

And you know this will eventually coming.

Class action is for the following:

1. experienced reduced functionality of their iPhones as a result of the updates to iOS, essentially forcing consumers to render their iPhones obsolete.

2. Plaintiff and Class members' iPhones' Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections became "grayed out" and unusable

Class action is suing Apple for:

Defendant's misrepresentations concerning: (i) the iPhones' ability to download and run iOS 7 effectively; (ii) Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connection capabilities; and (iii) the ability to upgrade to new iOS software and run new applications and features, are misleading, false, and reasonably likely to deceive and have deceived Plaintiff and members of the putative Class.

Plaintiff and class action member require Apple for:

For more information, see http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...blems-the-grayed-out-issue-and-much-more.html

==================================================

Personally, I think using Apple for iOS 7 for reduce functionality is not really stand and rendering older iPhone obsolete is questionable. However, I fell a apple need do something to fix users WiFi and Bluetooth for free, if this is indeed caused by iOS 7,

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Given the amount of trouble iOS 7 has given my girlfriend, I feel like the class action is justified. Quite frankly, I feel like her iPhone would have been more stable had it been running Windows ME.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

4. MisakixMikasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Why?

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Because it's bull..all software has bugs, the majority of users are not experiencing the issues presented by the "plaintiff." It will be tossed so quickly.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

And because it is free and optional to upgrade (written on my iOS 6 iPad 2).

7. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It is no longer optional for those continuing to want to use FaceTime, but were unable to update to iOS 6.1.6

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

iOS 7 did not "remove" functionality from the iPhone 4 and 4S. Did those 2 devices run iOS 7 a bit slower? sure. But that performance problem was addressed in iOS 7.1

The Wifi not working issue for the iPhone 4S is also present in iOS 6. That was not a specific issue related to iOS 7.

The entire grounds of that lawsuit is the "Apple deceived/lied to us" which Apple did not.

10. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Haha, April Fool's day is April 1st, not May 1st.

11. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Go read the terms of service before you upgrade. You can't sue.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Terms of service don't always hold up when challenged.

13. afsnyder macrumors 65816

The case is ridiculous though because the update was voluntary and iOS makes sure you've read the TOS before continuing. (asks you twice!)

and plus... Apple's lawyers usually know what they are doing.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

The recent security issue related to SSL that Apple themselves was responsible for and the resulting degradation of services, like FaceTime becoming unavailable, could be argued as making an upgrade not so voluntary in a sense compared to what was available on the device when purchased.

Lawyers certainly know what they are doing, but there are also judges, who wouldn't really need to be there if lawyers were just right by default simply because they know what they are doing--that's an inherent part of the legal system. There might be room to challenge something there, or there might not be, it's up to the legal system to work through it if something like that is brought to it.

15. cynics macrumors G3

Maybe I'm a realist or even worse an Apple apologist but my 4S and 4 before it ran just fine. Was performance as good as an iPhone 5/5C/5S? No but I think that goes without saying.

By no stretch of the imagination did I find the phone to be obsolete. It did everything it did before, just as reliably as it did before, with additional features that worked as advertised.

And on my 4S iOS 7 is much faster and smoother then iOS 6 was. I'm assuming that is because I was having a problem and just figured that was the way it was supposed to be. That leads me into saying a lot of those people should try a full restore from new and see how it goes.

16. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Absolutely frivolous lawsuit. LOL

You don't like Apple Devices or iOS 7 - go get an android. You have options...

This is almost as stupid as the lady that sued McDonalds because her coffee was hot and she got burned from it. lmao

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

And the McDonald's case actually had merit and went through the system appropriately--might want to actually look it up.

Only further proof that what might sound frivolous to some or even most, doesn't necessarily actually make it so just because of that.

18. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

When I got my iPhone 5, it came with iOS 6.1 (the last good iOS update) and my iPhone was nearly perfect in terms of designs, functionality, performance and usability.

I was excited look most to download the iOS 7 update back in September even thoughI wasn't too crazy about the redesign aspect, I decided that the features and functionalities would outweigh the ugly and tacky new GUI.

But I was wrong, while I love the new control center, auto app updates, new folders and the new multitasking view, several app experiences were ruined primarily the new music app which is so terrible that I no longer use my iPhone as my iPod player. The blinding white space in the apps is so distracting from the content even more so than the skeumorphic textures which I wasn't that crazy about either. The overly saturated neon color palette and cheesy looking icons are also an eye-sore.

But the performance and battery life are also completely dreadful and you can tell just how rushed the development so when Tim Cook talks about "waiting to get it right" he sounds so full of it just like the whole "we're still innovating and we got incredible new products" schtick he says every year.

I don't like change for the sake of change and iOS 7 is just that and it made me enjoy my iPhone a lot less to the point where I no care about it.

Before you iOS 7 apologists start taunting me to "go switch the Android or Windows" I just wanna say that I don't like the alternatives any better but it really disappoints me that Apple would stoop to their level. I love Apple and I hope they can find their mojo again but now it seems like like they're gonna fall apart again without Jobs but only this time, he can't come back to save them :(

19. JobsGang macrumors regular

JobsGang

:rolleyes:I hope the people who is suing not only lose the case but have to pay a hefty fine for being idiots.

20. MisakixMikasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Feed and optional does not mean you are not obligated to their fault... Though it is arguable wether Apple has any intentional motive here.

If they could prove iOS 7 indeed broken their phone, then Apple need to fix for them.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's fun to make purely reactionary off-the-cuff statements. Good thing we actually have a system to work things through and not rely on those.

22. MisakixMikasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

You never know if iOS 7.1.1 really fixed the slowness, you still hear report about iOS 7.1.1 slow down their system or not as fast as iOS 6.

No matter now you argue, you cannot deny many people's WiFi and Bluetooth broken AFTER upgrade to iOS 7. But wether if iOS 7 really broken their phone is arguable.

23. afsnyder macrumors 65816

A lot of people that have no problems own iPhone 5/5c/5s... those phones run iOS 7 so well that iOS 6 seems clunky. 4s/4 have a higher fail rate than the new phones...

24. MisakixMikasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Of course... If iOS 7 runs slow on iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C...then iOS 7 is really that bad....

25. afsnyder macrumors 65816

My friends friends has a 4s and I was actually impressed on the speed of that thing. It was so cute on that tiny screen haha