Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Reactions: d123 and Martyimac

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's price in my environment. Only people that like having new tech are buying these phones. People just hold their own phone next to it and say; Nah, not good enough compared to what I have.

Which is absolutely true when spending so much money.

That said, people around me now like FACE ID more than touch id from what they've seen. It being winter also helps a lot since I can just use normal gloves + siri for everything.

I think Face ID and the iPhone X has potential, but I think that the price point is going to inevitably cause consumers to retain their current devices longer because of how iPhones are becoming more expensive. And then you have to ask yourself, are these features with the iPhone X compelling enough for someone to want to upgrade given if their current iPhone does everything they need it to.

Reactions: ToroidalZeus

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I think Face ID and the iPhone X has potential, but I think that the price point is going to inevitably cause consumers to retain their current devices longer because of how iPhones are becoming more expensive. And then you have to ask yourself, are these features with the iPhone X compelling enough for someone to want to upgrade given if their current iPhone does everything they need it to.

I completely agree. If I wasn't a tech enthousiast I would NOT have bought this phone. If I could find a use for two phones I would buy a Galaxy S8+ or Note8 to go along the X, but I just don't have a use for it. So I can understand when people just wait for a cheaper or lcd version.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
To get back on topic, interesting article over on 9to5 mac, https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/22/iphone-8-8-plus-x-sales-iphone/
I took away two things,
1. iPhone SE sales better than the year before
2. iPhone 7 (two models) from 2016 outsold this last years 8, 8+, X (3 models)

Guess you forgot to read the last sentence:

“Apple is predicting a record quarter, exceeding $80 billion dollars in revenue.”

Here’s the takeaway:

Apple responded to a slumping smartphone industry by expanding and diversifying its lineup to address multiple customer bases and pricepoints simultaneously and is about to have a record first quarter despite so many predicting their failure.
[doublepost=1516706867][/doublepost]

Good post, but the thing is the iPhone X is only $300. You need to put yourself into the mindset of the typical new iPhone buyer.

For someone currently in an older iPhone like the 6 or 6S who is used to getting the newest iPhone every 2-3 years they’d naturally get an iPhone 8 and pay $849. The iPhone X is only $300 more. Chump change for the target audience.

Last edited:

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Exactly where I am. My 6S runs okay, no current battery issues. I even tried a new 8 partly because the X did not offer, to me, $300 worth of MORE. As it turns out the 8 I got had technical issues and I returned it within the 2 week return period.
Going to stay with my 6S/SE until something comes along that I really need.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Exactly where I am. My 6S runs okay, no current battery issues. I even tried a new 8 partly because the X did not offer, to me, $300 worth of MORE. As it turns out the 8 I got had technical issues and I returned it within the 2 week return period.
Going to stay with my 6S/SE until something comes along that I really need.

It seems rare for people to actually be in tune with what they need. I'm also on the same boat. I honestly thought the X was going to surprise, but alas, it still needs more for those $300.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
It seems rare for people to actually be in tune with what they need. I'm also on the same boat. I honestly thought the X was going to surprise, but alas, it still needs more for those $300.

Once you go Face ID, you don't go back. And as a father who shoots a lot of home video on vacations and at sporting events, the dual camera cannot be overlooked. I'm getting some of the crispest video to send to my 4K TV over Apple TV I've ever seen and that's shooting at 1080p resolution. It's a major improvement in color and clarity compared with the 6 I was in for the last 3 years.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Once you go Face ID, you don't go back. And as a father who shoots a lot of home video on vacations and at sporting events, the dual camera cannot be overlooked. I'm getting some of the crispest video to send to my 4K TV over Apple TV I've ever seen and that's shooting at 1080p resolution. It's a major improvement in color and clarity compared with the 6 I was in for the last 3 years.

I can already shoot 4k@30fps video on my 7; moreover, I can also record 1080p@60fps. So I don't get what the difference could be. Yes, there is an argument there of 60 v 30 fps, but unless you have a 120Hz native 4k TV, I wouldn't go there.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I can already shoot 4k@30fps video on my 7; moreover, I can also record 1080p@60fps. So I don't get what the difference could be. Yes, there is an argument there of 60 v 30 fps, but unless you have a 120Hz native 4k TV, I wouldn't go there.

Superior lenses.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I would have loved the X but I was going on a 5 week holiday and really wanted/needed (depending on your view of the world) an upgrade on my 6s due to battery issues. I went with the 8+ as I knew I could get it before the trip.
The 8+ is still a great phone and a big upgrade on my 6s, I have no regrets getting it but when my 2 years is up I will for sure be getting the top end iPhone again.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
None as I don’t have one. But my brother does. I spend time editing his videos.

There is a slight difference, but to me, there is a too small difference to justify a jump from 7 to X.

Ah, the old "my brother has one" excuse.

The X has a camera that destroys the iPhone 6 I used to own. That's what matters to your brother.

Reactions: Norwegian_Imposter

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
The earnings call is in, and the winner is...

The iPhone X has been the best selling iPhone every week since it’s launch in November.

During the earnings call Apple also said the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus lineup brought in the highest revenue of any iPhone lineup in the company's history.

The company sold 77.3 million iPhones in total and the iPhone average selling price was up thanks to the iPhone X, coming in at $796 compared to $695 in the year-ago quarter.

“Apple is losing its way! They don’t care about their core customer! They are way behind Android! iPhone X is too expensive! iPhone X is a bust!”

Yeah, right.

Thank you Tim Cook.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
just shows these pointless articles saying it's a failure are wrong as always and as always people overreact to these said articles.

this is apple after all and being the best at selling phones will always be the case

Reactions: boltjames

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Apple made a shed load of money as was expected. Interesting they sold 3m less iPhones than expected and 1m less than this quarter last year. The higher price of devices masked that so it’s good from a revenue point of view.

Reactions: ToroidalZeus

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Apple made a shed load of money as was expected. Interesting they sold 3m less iPhones than expected and 1m less than this quarter last year. The higher price of devices masked that so it’s good from a revenue point of view.
Be careful with that comparison. Last years quarter that you referenced was a 14 week quarter whereas this years quarter was 13 weeks, that skewed the comparison.

Reactions: boltjames

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Be careful with that comparison. Last years quarter that you referenced was a 14 week quarter whereas this years quarter was 13 weeks, that skewed the comparison.
I suppose every quarter is incomparable really as there are likely a few days difference here and there. It was the only comparison I could draw so I’m open to other suggestions.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I suppose every quarter is incomparable really as there are likely a few days difference here and there. It was the only comparison I could draw so I’m open to other suggestions.
Most quarters are 13 weeks but every once in a while everyone has a 14 week quarter to stay on track with the calendar. What I am suggesting is use a by day/week comparison rather than by quarter.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
This theory that Apple has left the little people in the dust with expensive phones they cannot afford is true. The theory that Apple is going to get what it deserves for that elitist decision is dead wrong. It's working. They invented the plus-$1000 smartphone pricepoint and by the time this 4th quarter is over they will have shattered the record of the best-selling smartphone of all time.

I’m not a big fan but I’ve got to give you props Beej, you’ve been calling this since December.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Most quarters are 13 weeks but every once in a while everyone has a 14 week quarter to stay on track with the calendar. What I am suggesting is use a by day/week comparison rather than by quarter.
Apple are also selling 8 iPhones as new in their lineup this year so the product range has significantly expanded. (SE, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X) This means the iPhone X could have sold just 9.8 million units and still remained their best seller. The iPhone 6S and 7 are reported to have sold strongly too so from a revenue point of view they are heavily reliant on the older phone market propping up the figures.

I’ve been saying for months the smartphone market is shrinking and I’m pleased to see this emphasised in the official articles. Thirty eight million less people are buying flagship smartphones compared to two years ago. That’s the biggest decline since 2010 and it’ll continue. It just goes to show Apple and Samsung can’t rely solely on high end pricing to remain competitive, especially not Apple who unlike Samsung rely on their smartphones for most of their revenue. Interesting times and I’m pleased to see what I’ve been saying for quite some time come true.

Last edited:
Reactions: d123 and Martyimac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.