Apple is raping my privacy with iCloud Tabs. How to solve it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iRock1, Sep 6, 2012.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

First off, am I the only one complaining about the privacy issues on this iCloud Tabs feature? I hate the idea of having a big company over me watching my browsing history. I stopped using Google a long time ago for the same reason (I use the search engine eventually, but with no associated account), and now I have Apple watching my iCloud account and which websites do I visit. Seriously?

The thing is how can I disable this iCloud Tabs feature? Nobody asked me for permission and I want it off.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Log out in which ever device you have it, presto.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Seriously? You're using iCloud. Your tabs show up on your devices.

BTW, the government is watching you. Better cover your Wifi antennas with aluminum foil.

jW

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Privacy?

It's too late, that horse left the barn long ago.

No sense on blaming it on any single entity, their all guilty :)

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

iCloud is voluntary and free. If you don't like it don't use it. You also don't have to setup tab syncing and all that sort of stuff just use the features you want. I only have stuff sync online that privacy is not a big concern. Namely e-mail, contacts, calendar and bookmarks. Open tabs wouldn't bother me either I just am not interested in having my tabs sync. I use Google for my syncing though it allows more flexibility in programs and platforms I can use.

My music, photo, videos, documents are only synced locally over my network.

Edit: If you are really concerned about privacy use an encrypted proxy service in a foreign country. Pay for it with a VISA gift card bought anonymously with cash and registered with a fake address or credit card name of your choice. Of course do the registration and proxy setup through a random unsecured network. Then don't ever use any real identifying info online and burner e-mail addresses. That aught to give you some privacy.:p

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Simple, don't use iCloud. I certainly don't want to store all my data on some big corporate server - be it Apple, Microsoft, Google, ...

https://duckduckgo.com/ is a good, private search engine by the way.

7. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

First off Apple doesn't care about your little self. As Apple doesn't care about me - everything is anonymous - I would not worry.

Secondly - switch on Private Browsing Mode - that will disable your history and iCloud tabs - Private mode is great for the super paranoid :)

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OT: Your avatar freaked me out. When I first saw it I thought my MBP had gone completely wonky!:eek:

It's a great avatar...:D

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Your ISP knows _exactly_ what web sites you are visiting. Every single one of them. They have to, because the ISP sends a request to the server of the website, and then sends the data to you. There is no way that you can read this page, without your ISP knowing that you were requesting a page from macrumors.com.

On the other hand, do you believe that Apple has any means of reading your information stored on iCloud? Seriously?

10. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Don't use iCloud, simple.

[​IMG]

11. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

You can change settings in system preferences under iCloud to not sync Safari.

You can also select the private browsing option under the file menu in Safari.

12. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You are describing a proxy server, which is NOT what ISPs normally do - ISPs usually simply route traffic. Of course, they can monitor and protocol the traffic flow that goes through their routers and depending on the local law they might be forced to do so.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Absolutely. From various branches of the Fed, local government, ISPs, cell companies, etc.

14. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Go to System Preferences | iCloud and uncheck Safari. Problem solved!

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You are 100% correct.

The big daddy of them all if you want a real spine tingler is:

Acxiom Data Collection

http://www.acxiom.com/

They know far more than Google or any other entity.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Feel free to store all your data on my MBP. I never need to pry your data. :apple:

17. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Well, you enabled it yourself in Preferences. Switch it off.

18. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

My browsing history (and I would suspect most people's) is so boring that no one would care. But OP, the suggestions you have gotten are good ones (uncheck Safari in the iCloud preferences or use private browsing). I'll give you another option -- use a different browser altogether.

19. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Not if you use a VPN.

/Jim

20. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That's exactly what I mean. What websites I visit is none of the ISPs business, but they _can_ record everything I do. So for the paranoid, the ISP is much more worth being paranoid about than iCloud.

That just moves the problem. VPN puts you into a different network - which will know every single website you visit.

21. flynz4 macrumors 68040

True... but unless I am mistaken (possible), now your data is anonymous... because on the 2nd network... it has the identity of your VPN provider... not your ISP account. You can now place your location, IP address, and identity, anywhere (within limits) around the world.

It comes down to the integrity of your VPN provider at that point.

/Jim

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

So you exchanged the integrity of the ISP for the integrity of the VPN provider. And the whole thread was started by someone who doesn't trust the integrity of Apple and iCloud with the iCloud Tabs feature - he is afraid that Apple could know what browser tabs he is using and calls it "raping his privacy", when _someone_ has the means to collect an awful lot more information about him.

23. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Totally agree. I do think the OP is being overly paranoid about the "small part" of the problem. I was simply stating that if you use a VPN... then your ISP cannot track your browsing history. They never see unencrypted data.

BTW: I do use a VPN service (Witopia) on my laptops (but not my home iMacs). I do not do so because I fear these types of privacy concerns. I use a VPN so that I do not become a victim of identity theft as a result "sidejacking" in a public hot spot, hotel, etc. A VPN is probably the best defense against sidejacking... and the introduction of the FireSheep FireFox plug-in has put sidejacking easily in the hands of any 10 year old.

/Jim

24. ring macrumors regular

25. John Adams macrumors regular

Anyone looking at the things I store on iCloud or the web sites I visit will be bored to death.