Apple is replacing my Iphone 4 for free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NQK, Jul 8, 2010.

1. NQK macrumors member

NQK

I had my phone less than 5 days and dropped it out in the yard in the grass. The back cracked at the corner and spider webbed up the the opposite corner. I nearly passed out right there in the front yard. Once I recovered, I called the apple store to ask if there was anything to be done since it was such a recent purchase. They just told me to make an appt at the genius bar so I went in last night.

When they called me up, I just took the phone out of the case, held it up to the lady there, and said, "the back is cracked."

I never got the chance to say another word. She said they would order me a new one and call me when it arrived at the store. Took some info from the settings page, gave me a print out of the transaction and that was it. I still can't believe it!! So anyone else with a cracked screen, just try the genius bar, the worst they can do is say no!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Apple needs to be consistent in doing or not doing things like this.

5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I agree with the consistentcy thing. Its not fair that 2 people would have the same issue and one gets it replaced for free and the other doesn't just because one got a genius in a good mood and the other got one that was just dumped.

They should either do this across the board or not at all.

to the OP. we she said we will order you another, did you clarify if they were ordering you a new phone or a new back. they way you word, it if it took place that way. it could have been ment either way.

"oh, your back glass is broke. We will order you another." I take that as ordering the part to fix it, not a whole phone.

6. The Dude Abides macrumors newbie

NQK failed to mention that he held a gun up in the other hand.:cool:

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

OP cracked glass is not a warranty replacement, they will ask you for money when the new iPhone arrives

8. ducktales macrumors regular

nice one, debbie downer.

9. NQK thread starter macrumors member

NQK

Nope, new phone, swap for no extra cash. And no gun either, left that in my other purse at home:p

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

You dropped it on the grass and it cracked? :eek:

Holy cow! Was the ground hard or was it a nice soft lawn?

11. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Where have you been?

I wouldn't drop this thing into a box full of feather pillows.

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

He painted his concrete green to look like grass.. :) jk

13. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

Especially if the customers are chosen arbitrarily, providing above and beyond service to some and not others is not necessarily unfair.
    It's fair to not replace any phones cracked due to customer error, and nice to replace some. How could you prefer that Apple replace no such phones? Maybe it depends primarily upon how many are available.
    If I'm walking down the street and see two beggars and give one a single dollar bill and nothing to the other one, is that somehow unfair?

14. NQK thread starter macrumors member

NQK

Nice soft grass that hadn't been cut in nearly 3 weeks due to flat tire on the lawn mower. Very soft fluffy grass.

15. army91c macrumors 6502a

Though I question the users "grass" story I do believe sometimes people get lucky/genius are cool.

I dropped and dented my first gen by the sleep/wake button. I went in fully expecting to have to pay some $ to get it fixed/new one.... Genius took it and swapped it no questions and just said be more careful lol.

16. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

+1

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Was it in a case when it cracked? How far was the fall? What case was it in?

18. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I've dropped mine on carpet with nary a scratch. Sorry, but I don't really believe the "dropped it in grass" story. Glad you got a new phone, though. Just be careful with it!

19. johncozen macrumors member

If you got it, wear an apple shirt when you go in ;)

20. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I don't know if I agree. I know the Geniuses have a lot of discretion about what they can choose to fix or not fix. I know of out-of-warranty replacements or non-covered repairs being done at no cost—and it usually happens to the people that tend to be less jerky, though nice people get turned down too.

If consistency is enforced, all that means is that no one, not everyone, will get replacements like this. If me and someone else both break our phones in a way that's not covered, and Apple replaces theirs and not mine, it's not 'unfair' to me. They are treating me fairly—my replacement is in fact not covered. They'd be treating the other guy 'unfairly' technically. Or to phrase it a way, they are treating him graciously. But that doesn't mean I am a) entitled to the same treatment—my treatment was fair, or b) that because I didn't get a repair, no one else should either.

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Why?

You think it's impossible that there's rocks in grass? Perhaps some hardened clay material 'neath the grass?

I'm just having a hard time conjuring a reason OP would come in and lie about something like this.

22. slimfinity macrumors member

Same thing happened to me

Mine dropped on my driveway and shattered the back glass. Just got my replacement via fedex yesterday from apple. They totally took care of me also.

23. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Apple is doing this temporarily to "soothe" the recent customers who have issues with dropped calls. They'll stop doing it after a month or two. I have a friend who had his replaced twice because of a cracked back side.

24. NQK thread starter macrumors member

NQK

Believe it or not that's what happened. As I was getting off of the lawn mower I pulled it out of my pocket And dropped it. I was listening to music while cutting. It hit the ground and pulled the earbuds out of my ears. No case at the time. It came in the mail a few days later.

25. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

See, I thought a "dropped call" was something else entirely.