Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
This guy really nails the problem with Apple right on the head. It is a shame that a company that works so hard to cultivate the "Cult of Steve" (Jobs) has strayed soooooo far from his vision. It's all kitch and brand name now. If I had the money and needed a new MacBook Pro, I would be actively looking for the previous model. It at least had normal USB ports.

It's really depressing. Already I've seen a couple of articles that say Microsoft is postured to surpass Apple - not in terms of sales (an area where Microsoft still rules), but in terms of usability. Apple used to be about form and function. Now it's just about form (the brand name).

I've also included a link to one of the sources for those who want a long-form read on much of what is said in the first article.

So sad.

https://medium.com/charged-tech/app...ea-who-the-mac-is-for-722a2438389b#.o05db9sm3

http://mjtsai.com/blog/2016/10/27/new-macbook-pros-and-the-state-of-the-mac/

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I miss Steve too...Ya know what really gets me? That these new macbooks aren't necessarily BAD per say. They're just kinda...not exciting and mediocre in some ways. They would be great laptops at their old price points but even then, the power itself still wouldn't even be there. So even then...yeah. When you see that the new macbook pro without touch bar is pretty much the same speed as last year's? After a year and a half of engineering "progress"? Sigh

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Holy ****, how many threads are needed to say Steve's gone. No kidding! He's DEAD! I'm not happy with the changes, but I can work with them. For anyone that can't, there're plenty of other companies you can go with!
Maybe we should just have one stickies 'member berries "don't you guys miss steve? I miss steve" with some included fan fiction stories

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Little did Steve Jobs know that he would be talking about his own company.

I agree in a sense...but on the other hand, the macbook itself isn't actually a bad laptop. USB C really is the future. Touchbar with touch id is neat. The keyboard sucks though as does the price.

So i'm a bit conflicted. Like its not horrible but...meh

damonbus

Suspended
May 9, 2013
NY
Unfortunately Steve is gone. Hopefully one day a genius will emerge and take over one of these companies and move it like Steve did with Apple. Only problem is geniuses like Steve don't come along often so it's very possible we will not see one in our lifetime.

Reactions: lewdvig

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
This guy really nails the problem with Apple right on the head. It is a shame that a company that works so hard to cultivate the "Cult of Steve" (Jobs) has strayed soooooo far from his vision. It's all kitch and brand name now. If I had the money and needed a new MacBook Pro, I would be actively looking for the previous model. It at least had normal USB ports.

It's really depressing. Already I've seen a couple of articles that say Microsoft is postured to surpass Apple - not in terms of sales (an area where Microsoft still rules), but in terms of usability. Apple used to be about form and function. Now it's just about form (the brand name).

I've also included a link to one of the sources for those who want a long-form read on much of what is said in the first article.

So sad.

https://medium.com/charged-tech/app...ea-who-the-mac-is-for-722a2438389b#.o05db9sm3

http://mjtsai.com/blog/2016/10/27/new-macbook-pros-and-the-state-of-the-mac/

Jobs is dead. There's no be-back for him. Someone else is running the company now. Nothing you can do about except buy or not buy Apple's products. End of story.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
There would be heads rolling for the team that came up with these new macbook pro's in apples HQ if steve was there.

Why? Steve loved making things lighter and thinner. He loved eliminating legacy stuff and the ports they have removed are all from the past. Apple is marching forwards and these new MacBook Pros make the kind of bold statement that Steve would surely have been very proud to announce.
[doublepost=1477931417][/doublepost]
Unfortunately Steve is gone. Hopefully one day a genius will emerge and take over one of these companies and move it like Steve did with Apple. Only problem is geniuses like Steve don't come along often so it's very possible we will not see one in our lifetime.

Steve saw the inevitable decline sales of Macs and PCs long before it all started happening. I don't think there's any doubt he would have moved focus away from the Mac and more towards things like the iPad Pro if he was still with us.

I think the Steve would have done things differently thing is just wishful thinking from those wanting to cling onto the past and blame Tim Cook for abandoning the Mac. But Steve was really no different, he slowly abandoned other Apple products when the time was right to do it.

mmarcus178

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
I think he would have been disappointed to see the Pro line of Macs devolve into essentially a Toyota Camry.

Reactions: heffsf

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Love them or hate them, these are EXACTLY the Macbooks Steve's Apple would've made, right down to the price. He would've presented them better, that's all. If you don't see it, you're projecting your wishes into a (wrong) fantasy of a man who is no longer with us.
[doublepost=1477931740][/doublepost]
I think he would have been disappointed to see the Pro line of Macs devolve into essentially a Toyota Camry.

He would've been fascinated with the fact Apple made such powerful laptops with such thin bodies. Do you even know Jobs? He was so into small and thin, they couldn't even release a 5" iPhone while he was alive.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Tim Cook needs to go and Ive need to have a better checks and balance...the new MacBook pro is hardly all new,

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
I miss Steve too...Ya know what really gets me? That these new macbooks aren't necessarily BAD per say. They're just kinda...not exciting and mediocre in some ways. They would be great laptops at their old price points but even then, the power itself still wouldn't even be there. So even then...yeah. When you see that the new macbook pro without touch bar is pretty much the same speed as last year's? After a year and a half of engineering "progress"? Sigh

Really good point. I don't want to slam the touch bar...it's just not for me, it fails to impress. It's in light of the lack of any significant progress that the touch bar seems to be the Apple Watch embedded in the Mac. Just a kitch-y thing, really. Perceptually less purposeful and more gimmicky.

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
If apple introduced this new rMBP in 2018 then it would have "fitted in better". We would have more USB C devices by then in the mainstream user base.

Apple should have included 1 or 2 USB A's and NOT increased the price by such a large margin. That would have reduced most of the complaints.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Ah, the ole "if Steve were alive..."

Steve Jobs often changed his mind about different products, so we don't know what Steve would have thought about the new Macbooks.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I was just talking about this with my girlfriend. She's still using her 2010 white polycarbonate MacBook, that cost her just 800€. I mean, that was a great value machine. There used to be a Mac for everybody, now it's just about the brand name. Especially when it comes to the Pro moniker, which is just an excuse to extort the loyal customer. But I guess that's what you get for putting a businessman on top, instead of a visionary.

At least they still have their software integration going for them. It still beats any other offering out there. But Microsoft is gaining traction...

When you see that the new macbook pro without touch bar is pretty much the same speed as last year's? After a year and a half of engineering "progress"? Sigh

In all fairness, that's Intel's fault. Intel has become so complacent as pretty much the only CPU supplier, that progress on this front has pretty much halted since Ivy Bridge. The only one who can change the game is AMD with Zen next year.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
What's left to do with the form factor besides make them smaller, lighter and last longer with universal I/Os?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.