Apple Issues Fix for Unrecognized Clicks on Glass Trackpads

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
UK
Yep - I've literally just unboxed a new MacBook and on the second reboot the Trackpad Firmware Update showed up. Have installed it and no problems so far.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Issues Fix for Unrecognized Clicks on Glass Trackpads

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As promised by Steve Jobs, Apple has issued a Trackpad Firmware Update to owners of the new MacBook and MacBook Pros:
This firmware update addresses an issue where trackpad clicks may not be recognized on MacBook (Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (Late 2008) systems.
The issue gained publicity after numerous complaints appeared on Apple's own discussion forum. A MacRumors reader subsequently received an email reply from Steve Jobs who revealed that a software fix was "coming soon."

Article Link: Apple Issues Fix for Unrecognized Clicks on Glass Trackpads

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
UK
Why does it now show up in Apple's Software Update Downloads page then?
This is normal Apple behaviour when updates are first released. They show up in Software Update first and for the specific models they target.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Great, for my new MBP. Can someone email him and ask if PUSH has been cancelled and when will he get Safari to stop crashing about 10 times a day on the iPhone? :eek:

mr_mac

macrumors member
May 1, 2004
Quebec, Canada
MMmm. weird..

Mine says:

The Firmware update did not complete.
Communication with the device failed.

This is a alu MBP, 2,4GHz..

air-ick

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
When I try to install this firmware update it says "The Firmware update did not complete. Communication with the device failed."

I've tried installing 3 times. What am I doing wrong? The trackpad works. It seems to communicate enough for me to use it.

What's up?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
The problem doesn't really bother me since I get it once every few days and then only for a second.

Although I would like some updated drivers for Windows as it can be a pain trying to click on anything

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
MMmm. weird..

Mine says:

The Firmware update did not complete.
Communication with the device failed.

This is a alu MBP, 2,4GHz..
When I try to install this firmware update it says "The Firmware update did not complete. Communication with the device failed."

I've tried installing 3 times. What am I doing wrong? The trackpad works. It seems to communicate enough for me to use it.

What's up?
Maybe try closing all open apps? I think that's what they advise you to do, but it didn't tell me to and mine installed perfectly. Haven't had one missed click since the install. :)

air-ick

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
OK. I got it to work. I had an external Mouse and Keyboard attached with a USB hub. I unhooked everything except the power and it worked fine. Not sure what was causing the problem but it works if you remove all USB devices.

Attachments

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
This was my only gripe with my new MBP was the trackpad sometimes now working, and now QT h.264 update was even nice to see for older machines.

So sweet, all is good/gravy now. Awesome.

sonicwind

macrumors member
May 17, 2008
I haven't ever experienced this issue. I've got all kind of issues with the notebook waking back up from sleep on it's own in my backpack and getting real hot and running down the battery. Also, sometimes it won't come back on after sleep without a hard reset. Waiting on a patch for that, Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.