Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I agree. Apple seems to be using a few apologist bloggers in an attempt to quiet the angst.

Go check out the creative cow dot net forum for FPC X and see what the pros are saying...
Please do cause there is a FCPX Techniques section for the ones that want to learn :) I for one have nothing but positives for this new version. Like Ive stated before, Im using it to learn not to save lives :p

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Would love to be a fly on the FCPX dev walls right now :D

Already decided that Steve will hold a press conference showing all the pros that they are holding it wrong!

That conference will be in front of the Cupertino city council, streamed over free WiFi for everybody.

Senator Al Franken has asked for a hearing and wants all products with the letter "X" in it banned, as "X" is an unknown and you basically don't know what you are buying.

Verizon will be selling FCP X in white without a contract.

ATT will sell FCP X with unlimited data plans.

Lodsys has sued Apple because they have a patent on refunds.

Samsung filed a motion to see the next release of FCP

Google just released an Android FCP X version with only the missing features.

Microsoft is coming out with Buena Vista Movies XP. Steve Ballmer's idea.

There just seems to be no end to this story.

Last edited:

ericmooreart

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
NY,NY
How necessary is this product to Apple these days anyhow? Apple decided it was time to make this software more user friendly for the average prosumer and although that upsets the professionals Apple is just following the money. I bet there are a lot more prosumers to sell to then true professionals.

My company has a site license for 50 copies of final cut pro suite at 1000 dollars a piece. Just about every employee has Final Cut suite at home. Just for my company that almost 100,000 dollars. Multiply that by the thousands of video production houses across the country. 10s of thousands around the world. Not small change.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
How necessary is this product to Apple these days anyhow? Apple decided it was time to make this software more user friendly for the average prosumer and although that upsets the professionals Apple is just following the money. I bet there are a lot more prosumers to sell to then true professionals.
Product features filters down. Products developed for professionals with high expectations enrich those lower down through the trickle effect. Once you lose the professionals where's the impetus to innovate? Except, that is, to add another dumb "export to [insert social network]" option?
If you're anywhere near an Apple Store, I'm sure you'd be more than welcome to play with it as much as you like in there before buying anything. Not the same as trying it in your own environment, but you'd be able to spot any major gotchas.
Not the same thing? It's not even in the same bloody postal district, let alone the same ball-park! :eek:

Last edited:

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
I recently "upgraded" to the latest version of iPhoto. It's terribly buggy. There are major issues that are well documented in Apple's support community, which Apple has shown no interest in addressing (demonstrated by the fact that Apple has not resolved these issues in many, many months: more than should be necessary or reasonable).

I would request a refund, but my iPhoto library would no longer be readable by the previous version of iPhoto.

Oh please iPhoto costs $15, can you really get a better photo management package at that price? And is their support any better?

I bought Ligthroom for $300 and guess what, it also has bugs.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
My company has a site license for 50 copies of final cut pro suite at 1000 dollars a piece. Just about every employee has Final Cut suite at home. Just for my company that almost 100,000 dollars. Multiply that by the thousands of video production houses across the country. 10s of thousands around the world. Not small change.

How does 50 copies at 1000 dollars a piece turn into "almost" 100,000 dollars?

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
#2, Apple may feel that some of these current "needs" and "standards" are overdue for a change. It's clear that analog tape is a dinosaur. Most I.T. shops don't even do backups onto tape anymore, despite LTO and DLT still plugging along with incremental updates every so often. The broadcast industry is whining about FCP X only working in the digital realm and not supporting everything they want anymore for tape. To that, I say -- too bad, so sad. Your precious tape is going away before TOO much longer. Apple has their eye on where the ball is going, in this case.

Every time you post you just look more and more clueless. The broadcast industry as a whole would love to go completely tapeless, but as it stands right now that is an impossibility. All new content from this day forward could be shot directly to digital files and you would still need to have backwards compatibility with tape.

The problem is not with editors, or post houses, but with our customers. Our customers currently have huge tape libraries that will need to be accessed. Tape libraries that they have no plans on digitizing themselves.

I am currently working on rebranding elements for the Pac12, elements that required mass amounts of past game footage from each school. Do you think all that footage came to us digitized on hard drives? Not a chance, a huge portion of it came to us on tape, miniDV, DVCPro, Betacam, HDCam,HDV, etc. The only format missing was one inch!

The other main holdout are the stations, a large portion of stations still request broadcast spots on Beta...BETA! Stations were already slow to upgrade equipment before internet video sapped them of a lot of their advertising profit, and they are in to condition to do so now. So output to tape is still a NEEDED feature. Trust me I would love to be able to drop every spot on an FTP or via DG but doesn't work that way.

Apple cannot simply snap its fingers and make all this legacy archive tape disappear. The need to access footage on tape on a near daily basis will be around for at least the next decade, and realistically for much longer.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
X2 for the copies they have at home

So with the new price and rules they'll only need to pay $15,000 now instead of $100,000.

I can see how the pros want this. Maybe there's a reason why it became so cheap? Oh wait...

zerofour

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
UK
For some of us who do not know. What features were removed to make everyone upset? I'm still running version 5.0. I'm sure its outdated but it works fine for me.

Have a look at http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html as this has some useful info. Mainly problems seem to revolve around lack of FCP7 support, lack of XML, EDL, OMF support, the lack of support for tape / tape decks (only firewire enabled cams will work), no multicam support and the inability to do some 'pro' features that you could do in FCP7

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Oh please iPhoto costs $15, can you really get a better photo management package at that price? And is their support any better?

I bought Ligthroom for $300 and guess what, it also has bugs.
Of course all software has bugs, but the number and significance of said bugs is what really matters. I'll give you just two examples:

-I double click on an event, and it opens but reports "no pictures." I have to restart iPhoto to see my pictures. This happens about every fifth time I try to open an event.

-Faces won't allow me to confirm faces. I click confirm but nothing happens. Makes faces essentially unusable.

I've already attempted all troubleshooting steps I could find online. As I said, it's a known issue that affects some users. I don't find Apple's failure to address acceptable.

Plus, you're ignoring the fact that I had a well-functioning program, paid $15, and now many features don't work at all. I don't think you would be content either.

Last edited:

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Will Lion too come with a load of missing features? Early adopters always end up getting burned one way or another. You basically pay to be beta testers.

That doesn't just apply to Apple btw.
QTPro?? QTX is far from a pro tool. Most people I know still don't use QTX (It's an extremely weak video player) - they still use QTPro7. I'd like to see it enhanced with a Pro version that brings back Frame Counter, additional format support, accurate color space (like Tweak Software does).

Imagine Adobe releasing Photoshop CS6, a complete rewrite of the software, you cannot open all of your PSD file, your plugins don't work anymore, CMYK and lab are gone and Adobe doesn't understand why pro are complaining.

Sergio
Exactly Serge.

Last edited by a moderator:

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
QTPro?? QTX is far from a pro tool. Most people I know still don't use QTX (It's an extremely weak video player) - they still use QTPro7. I'd like to see it enhanced with a Pro version that brings back Frame Counter, additional format support, accurate color space (like Tweak Software does).
well hold on there. Pros still use QT no matter what flavour. If you mean the player then yes its weak. But as far as the codec goes, its widely used from RED to Sony etc...

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Ok, Apple may have dropped the ball on this one, BUT! they have been quite honest stating it is not for prime-time just yet!

Well if it's not ready for prime time IT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN RELEASED SHOULD IT!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Product features filters down. Products developed for professionals with high expectations enrich those lower down through the trickle effect. Once you lose the professionals where's the impetus to innovate? Except, that is, to add another dumb "export to [insert social network]" option?

I understand what you are saying, but Steve Jobs believes that we have entered a post PC era and mobile devices with light programs is the future. Now I am not saying that professionals won't have a need for programs like Final Cut Pro in the future because they will, but it will be a small niche market that other software makers can fill.

In Jobs vision of the future most people will be using an iPhone or iPad to do their video editing while uploading everything to iCloud. In these cases programs will need to be lightweight and some features just won't be possible. Like it or not that is where Apple is headed. I have no doubt that other companies will fill the void left, however they will be left behind in a vintage PC era.

Now how does the fact that Final Cut Pro X has missing features and less user control go along with the idea that mobile devices are the future... Simple... Steve is just preparing consumers and prosumers for the future. There will always be a small professional market, but will be better left to other companies who don't want to play in the post PC era.

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
I just made this because it made me laugh when I thought of it...

Attachments

• fcp_Blo.png
    fcp_Blo.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 71

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I can't believe so many professionals actually did this.

We weren't planning on integrating it into our workflows off the bat, that would be insane. Apple demoed so many cool features that we wanted to start learning it ASAP in our spare time. However Apple ONLY demoed new features and neglected to mention so much was mission. No one new so much was removed, cause well, removing important features wasn't something ANYONE expected in a professional editing app.

I got the program and quickly realized it wasn't something I'd ever use no matter how much they add to it. It was no longer Final Cut Pro. I got my refund no questions asked.

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Well if it's not ready for prime time IT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN RELEASED SHOULD IT!
You're 100% correct but sadly it isn't up to the devs to decide that. I fully believe they knew they were releasing a gimped product but had to do it anyways. Hopefully they are working double time to get the improvements out the door.

I whole heartedly believe that products like Final Cut Studio were developed by people with a passion for their customers and a genuine interest in the needs of the pro market. I'd expect that if Apple corporate were dictating a mass focus shift in Final Cut from the pro to consumer market we'd be seeing talented devs jump ship to go work for other publishers like Adobe or Avid who are still developing pro level NLEs. I mean, why would someone who has years of developing top shelf NLEs demote themselves to developing iMovie Pro? Since this doesn't appear to be the case as of yet I'm putting my chips behind this being a botched launch to be blamed on Apple corporate and not on the FCP developers. I think (or hope) we'll see what FCPX was really supposed to be in a year's time or so.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I don't agree with this assessment. I don't believe they have shown a recent pattern of consistancy with releasing software not ready for prime time.

Clearly there have been some misteps with how theyh have handled FCP here. Not disputing that.

Concerning the hardware quality control, my feeling would be that you seem to be exaggerating the present and minimizing past, without adjusting for the increase in number of devices that apple produces now as opposed to say, 10 years ago.

As far as constantly pulling people from one team to another, as I understand it that is 100% by design, and one they'd been following for quite some time.

I can't comment on Lion, but I don't even know why you mentioned it in the first place, given it is not released.

Hmm. Well, considering how many Macs have been sold that have need multiple firmware updates to correct issues spanning every single product line... it's a safe bet to say these were not defects rolling off an assembly line. It is a demonstration of, "we have new machines with the latest and greatest innards ready to go, but we're still tweaking drivers and how the OS will work with these things... and we can shoot out a fix quickly." You're posting on a forum with many a threads and comments on these issues, so I'm not making them up. You just might not be aware or pay attention to those things. My last iMac was a real treat because the display would freeze all the time and the fans did not turn on because they heat sensors were crap. 5 firmware updates to that machine, including one for the keyboard because it had its own issues. This story spreads to many other models and years of releases.

Your other comment was kind of my point. Yes, that was how Apple used to handle things by pulling teams. Apple was much smaller when they had that philosophy, and they didn't have their hands into nearly as many products and pieces of software as they do today. You need to rethink your statement. I think of the old episode of "I Love Lucy" where she and Ethel are in the chocolate factory and the belt keeps speeding up... That's what Apple is doing, except they're adding more belts of chocolate, speeding it up, and leaving almost teh same number of people to try and grab the choclates off the belt. If you pull people from one belt to the next, then their belt is backing up. You either need to stop making so much chocolate, or have more people in the chocolate factory to keep up. Except apple added toffee, bubble gum, and cotton candy. Hokey, but applicable.

Davesc36

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Mississippi
I have to say, the excuse of this being a rewrite that took as long as it did and be lacking the major features that made Final Cut Pro the great program that it has become in the industry is just unacceptable. To me there is no excuse for that unless they had programmers that have never used the previous versions. In my opinion, Apple seems to have focused all their attention on their portable devices and have put their pro devices in the "Hobby" department along with Apple TV. I only own a Mac because of Final Cut Pro and have absolutely loved it. I doubt I'll be able to afford the $5,000 system it will take to run the new version efficiently for a while anyway, so I'll stick with my reliable FCS2 version.

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix
It takes a different kind of person to be a first adopter. Seems like a whole bunch of people on here just don't get that. Give it another iteration and some real use and then we will know if this is a good update or bad update. What I have a hard time with is the vitriol in many of these comments. It's like the first time you realize your parents have lied to you about something. The shock that everything in the world is just not perfect. That said, I commented a couple of years back when major update changes were first rumored that I hoped that Apple wouldn't turn FCP into iMovie heavy. I will not be able to judge that until I use the app, and I won't do that until I can afford a new system to run it on. In the meantime, FCP studio is still running fine and doing great as an editing tool for my business.

JohMai

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
I too think a demo would have been the right move.

Avid's Media Composer 5.5 is a fully pro-level picture (video or film) editing program and sells for about $2500.00 Avid provides a fully functional, 30-day trial period for this software.

Adobe does the same for the latest Premiere Pro editing package.

Many other pro-level packages and/or expensive plug-ins are sold in a similar fashion.

Apple could easily have done this too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.