Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by CNET, the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS) this week announced that Apple has joined its Next G Alliance, an industry group working to "advance North American mobile technology leadership in 6G and beyond over the next decade, while building on the long-term evolution of 5G."

iphone-12-pro-video-colors.jpg

Apple is one of 11 new members of the group alongside Charter, Cisco, Google, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Keysight Technologies, LG, Mavenir, MITRE, and VMware.

The announcement provides more details about the Next G Alliance:
Designed to set the foundation for a vibrant marketplace for North American innovation in future generations of mobile technology, the Next G Alliance is named after its primary goal: to establish North American preeminence in the 5G evolutionary path and 6G development. Its work will encompass the full lifecycle of research and development, manufacturing, standardization and market readiness.
The Next G Alliance says it will be holding its first meeting for members on Monday, November 16 to set the initiative's overarching direction and strategy.

In September, AT&T said that it already has engineers working on next-generation 6G networking, but the technology is not expected to fully materialize for many years. Apple just released its first iPhones with support for 5G networks within the last month.

Article Link: Apple Joins Industry Group Working Towards 6G

Last edited:

IIGS User

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2019
So, will there be a conspiracy theory about 6G when it comes out? Will it spread an STD? Or maybe high cholesterol?

Who knows. Knowing even the basics about RF propagation and frequency allocation, I really got a laugh out of the conspiracy theorists from just 9 months ago.

Sometimes I'm astounded by the idiocy of humanity.

FaustsHausUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I really hope they don't focus on North America to the detriment of international interoperability. I'm English, I travel home to the UK once or twice a year under "normal" circumstances, and it was super useful to me when I could finally use my US mobile phone and data allowances on UK networks. Any regression there is stupid.

Reactions: h3ysw5nkan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.