Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustChrism

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
How about we get 5G mmWave fully available before starting on 6G...just a thought
New standards take years to develop, and more years to implement. Starting on 6G doesn't mean not moving forward with 5G including 5G mmWave. It means that they are starting to work on the standards for what will eventually replace.

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
What about 7G? What about 8G? Need more G's.
LG already released G7 years ago and even G8. Apple needs to catch up.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I’m complaining because we haven’t gotten to 1H yet. The H series trumps all the Gs out there.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
How about we get 5G mmWave fully available before starting on 6G...just a thought
How about we keep investing in future technology so it can be ready, otherwise we’d still be on 3g until we got it right. Just a thought

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I can't even get 3G in certain valleys here, let alone 4G or 5G... This is absurd. Develop all you want but it's still years away so these big companies aren't doing anything by helping it along, it all comes down to the service providers themselves.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Comments heard at friends and relatives’ houses in 2019/2020:
1.Sorry, we don’t get a good signal in this part of the house, you have to go upstairs or outside.
2.Sorry, not a very good signal around our property, try walking around the neighborhood.
3.Sorry about the signal, must be [Verizon, TMo, AT&T’s] fault, not a tower nearby. Try our Wifi.

I’ve seen this on the west coast, the east coast, the north, the south, and in urban and suburban areas. We have a long way to go.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thank you! It’s embarrassing that there are still many areas that have no to weak 4G signal, especially rural America. Wireless infrastructure needs to be beefed up.
Won't be fixed anytime soon...if ever, there's little to no money to be made, the only thing to persuade the providers is to force them to do so by law.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm hardly against this by any measure, but how about just adding ATSC 3.0 chips in the phones to watch live TV and video on your phone for FREE since that is now available in some markets like Phoenix and Pittsburgh? Oops, bad topic. Every time I post something about FREE VIDEO on your phone here, my post gets removed mysteriously. Obviously the carrier industry is staunchly against this future feature, but it will come one way or another to your phone despite them via WIFI to a market near you this year or next from your local TV stations. Not that anyone needs 4K video on their phone that much, but you'll certainly get 1080p video and it will be free, not having to pay for data costs. I'm shocked this isn't a bigger or more discussed topic.
You are already able to watch TV on an iPhone or androids if you purchase the right gear.
Free except for the bandwidth/dataplan/internet subscription.

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
Based on some made up rumors, 10G is going to be the one to wait for.

You should get around 10Gig speed to your iPhone 38SE and iPhone 10G Pro and Pro Ultra-Max devices. But, battery life will still be around a day with this first generation of 10G devices.

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
I'm not even sure what mmWave fully available will even look like. This isn't going to be for anything other than extremely dense cities, it is completely useless for anyone outside of cities. Mid band spectrum is far more useful for us way out here.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Given American data plans, many of us can't justify paying for a lot of LTE data, let alone 5G since neither are truly unlimited here. Why would anyone be excited about 6G?

JimmyBanks6

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2017
If mmWave is anything to go by, 6G will require a base station in every room, and don't put a piece of paper over your phone or you will lose service.

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
I am glad that they do it. We should not wait for others to do what we can do and they cry because it is not what we want or because we don't own it.

kovalchuk71

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
So, will there be a conspiracy theory about 6G when it comes out? Will it spread an STD? Or maybe high cholesterol?

Who knows. Knowing even the basics about RF propagation and frequency allocation, I really got a laugh out of the conspiracy theorists from just 9 months ago.

Sometimes I'm astounded by the idiocy of humanity.

Easy there......your smugness is showing.

hatchettjack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2020
Given American data plans, many of us can't justify paying for a lot of LTE data, let alone 5G since neither are truly unlimited here. Why would anyone be excited about 6G?
it will only be $1000.00 a month for 2gb extra ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.