Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple design chief Jony Ive sat down with Vogue's Anna Wintour this morning for an interview at WIRED's 25th anniversary event, where he talked about secrecy at Apple, his future with the company, and more.

WIRED didn't stream the event, but CNET's Shara Tibken and Washington Post's Geoffrey Fowler were on hand and shared details on what Ive had to say on Twitter.

iveannawintourwiredinterview-800x585.jpg
Image via Shara Tibken​

On the topic of iPhone addiction, Ive said that it's good to be connected, but the "real issue" is what's done with that connection. According to Ive, when it comes to innovating, it's impossible to predict all of the consequences. "In my experience, there have been surprising consequences," he said. "Some fabulous and some less so."

Apple introduces new features like Screen Time because the company doesn't believe that its responsibility for a product ends when the product is shipped. Apple, says Ive, wants to design its technology to be more human to "restore some humanity" in the way people connect with one another.

When questioned about why Apple is so secretive and keeps its projects under wraps as much as possible, Ive said that not being secretive would be "bizarre." Not many creators would want to talk about what they're doing "when they're halfway through it," he said.
I've been doing this for long enough where I actually feel a responsibility to not confuse or add more noise about what's being worked on because I know that it sometimes does not work out.
According to Ive, he's at Apple for the long haul. He continues to see a lot to do with Apple, and is happy with the team that he works with. The "energy and vitality" at Apple is "extraordinary" and "very exciting" Ive said.
Ive: "If you lose that childlike excitement, I think then it's probably time to do something else.

Wintour: "Are you at that point?"

Ive: "Oh goodness, no."
Ive is still learning at Apple with each new project, and when asked about the last thing he learned, he said that it was a detail on how you can connect glass to a structural frame. "We're still surprised and learning so much," he said.

It's not yet clear if WIRED plans to share the full interview Anna Wintour conducted with Jony Ive, but should a video or additional details be published, we'll update this post.

Update: WIRED has shared additional comments from Ive during the interview.

Article Link: Apple Design Chief Jony Ive Talks Secrecy, His Future, and More at WIRED Anniversary Event

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Hahaha, when I first saw the article title, I would've sworn it said, "... talks secret society ...", and I was like, YES, I knew it!

:D

Reactions: tomaszk

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Should they share the video, hopefully they do not chop it into fifty pieces to share them separately, like WSJ and ReCode would do, in their buggy as all hell web player.

Reactions: dysamoria

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m glad he’s staying.

I’m sure all the copycats in the Android sphere are glad to hear it, too...I say as an Android phone fan myself.

I don’t necessarily like his minimalist take on everything especially when it clashes with sensible ergonomics. But I can’t deny most of what he designs for Apple becomes the iconic look everyone else copies. Even that #%$ notch.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Yeah this looks alot better in 2018 /s View attachment 795265

I actually believe that, fundamentally, certain icons such as ‘Camera,’ ‘Safari,’ ‘Reminders,’ ‘Mail,’ ‘iTunes,’ and ‘Settings’ in that example are more attractive than their iOS 12 counterparts. I think iOS 12 as a whole is fair superior in terms of UI, but the old aqua design does still have charm to it.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Ive is hands down one of the greats. His design sensibilities, focussed through Apple, have affected so much of how we interact with modern technology (and by extension, with each other). I think too many here on MR get caught up in dissing trivialities and miss the iconic work that's being done by Apple's industrial design team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.