Apple just killed jailbreaking for me

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kayan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Kayan macrumors 6502

Alright alright, maybe not totally, I have loved JBing these past years, but the title at least caught your attention? Anyhow, I've always claims that the main reasons for me jBing are 1)better lockscreen 2)better messaging 3)unlock ability/tether and 4)SBS shortcuts. As far as I can see from the new iOS 5, they pretty much satisfy 3 of those 4 ideals. Also, I'm questioning how jBing will work with over the air updates for the iOS... Just interested to see if other people think similarly.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what about themes, custom sms tones, widgets, better camera roll (photoalbums+), iFile?

and im sure im missing other reasons people jailbreak

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

If you are happy with Apples IOS then yep no reason to jb. There will still be a million people that jb as soon as it's available. Then come here asking where is the jb? When are we going to get it. Blah blah blah!

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

iOS 5 does have some nifty updates/additions (FINALLY) but I doubt it'll ever make JB'ing obsolete/unnecessary. I am glad I can finally do away with WiFi Sync in Cydia as that has been nothing but a PITA for me. Biggest issue now is with MyWi/TetherMe. If I can get that back as well as custom icons/sounds then I'll be good to go :D

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not yet, custom screen, unlocking, and free Tethering are still big for me.

Not to mentions, emulators, and all other things found in Cydia that Apple still says no to.

6. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

As long as accessories are able to lock the iPod app, I will always jailbreak.

"accessory connected" - really?! I just connected it, thank you. Now allow me to manage my music using my iphone/ipod.

7. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

JB'er for life.

Never let the man control what you can/can't do!

But seriously, a lot of stuff has been changed. Notifications, lockscreen info just to name a couple. Free tethering WAS good but with AT&T's recent antics, I'm not so sure that's a plus anymore.

8. globalist macrumors 6502a

For me it's a definitive "bye bye JB" after seeing the iOS5 keynote. The only tru reason for me was Lockinfo and now that that's covered (along with dozens of other minor things) I can finally hop off the JB train. Thanks Apple! :)

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Lockinfo is the main reason I have always jailbroken and I am more than impressed with how they've implemented it. The whole new notification system is pretty darn slick.

However, I still enjoy light theming (the icons are pretty much left alone) and SBSettings is a very nice addition to an almost perfect operating system. I know for a fact I'm not going to have the patience to wait for a 5.0 jailbreak but when it is eventually released, I'll be all over it.

10. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

SBSettings, NoLockScreen and EnhancedFolders are my big things, so I might go to iOS5 when it comes out, I'll probably hop back on the JB train when it comes out.

11. Riptide62 macrumors member

Fully agree. It's the quick compose and preview components of LockInfo that will continue to distinguish it (not elements of Apples noticfication system), and the fact that the developer seems incredibly responsive to quickly incorporate new features.

SBSettings, and BitsSMS will continue to be important. BiteSMS may need to incorporate iMessenger as well.

12. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I've only just JB my iPhone 4 and have only really used tweaks, sbsspettings and bitesms - and now apple appears to have nailed all of these features (pretty much) so I'll be going to iOS5 and never looking back...for a while at least.

I can still understand why people will still JB though, some of the themes etc are immense, but I always get bored of them very quickly and end up back to normal iOS wallpaper/theme.

13. Almeuit macrumors regular

Not me. Sure they brought some nice things but biteSMS is very nice. Texting from any app without "swapping" to the messages app and back.. Also from lock screen.

Also I'm a huge fan of having access to my iPhone file system (iFile) with safari download manager. I can DL all my videos and watch em/ delete right from the phone. No iTunes needed.

To me that's ftw. Also SBsettings for quick wifi and ram checkage on my iPhone 4... I'll always jailbreak .. All it took was once :p

14. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

Not for me. Custom lockscreens, themes and getting rid of the goddamn gloss aren't included in iOS 5, so I'll stick with jailbreaking.

15. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

There's not even enough in iOS 5 to make it a "must have" upgrade for me. It doesn't replace biteSMS, SBSettings, FolderEnhancer, or PhotoAlbums+, and those tweaks are the real reason I jailbreak. They're what make Apple's UI tolerable.

I'm glad a lot of people are getting what they want from it. Me, I'll probably sit on 4.2.1 for quite a while yet.

16. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I've got too much $ invested in JB apps and there are still a few low level tweaks we won't be seeing in vanilla iOS: OpenSSH, SDM, 3GUnrestrictor, UserAgentFaker et al so I'm still down w/ MuscleNerd :cool:

17. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

SBSettings
    Folder Enhancer
    Folder Closer
    Tap to Unlock
    Reset Safari
    Remove from Background
    springtomize
    custom text sounds

these are the main reasons, all these little tweaks i could never live with anymore

18. Kayan thread starter macrumors 6502

Granted though, I forgot to mention, that apple totally copied ideas from the JB world to implement the cool things they are adding, especially notifications and messaging.

19. elfy macrumors 6502

I'm liking the sound of wifi syncing. I'll still jailbreak though, I'm getting really into customising and theming at the moment.

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

My number one reason is ultrasnow. If Apple ever sells factory unlocked phones, that'll kill most of the reasons I JB.

Guess what? Forum rules also ban pirating. :rolleyes:

21. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

3GUnrestrictor is the biggie for me, along with simple things like Sirius4Ever, activator and iScheduler.

22. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Exactly this, actually I'm quite scared now :p

23. RenoG macrumors 65816

Crap the main reason I jb'ed my phone was for myfi and today I got that "$45 that will automanically be added to my bill soon for the tether plan" Craptastic!! other than that I suppose ios5 cover some of the desired features I like but other than that I really really like BiteSMS and 3G-unrestrictor.

on a side note, any way around this tethering charge they're talking about?
    Do i remove Myfi, restore my phone, call At&t and say nooooo! and promise not to tether any more??

24. understando macrumors member

yeah, I have wondered about this. Do the Jailbreak dev's have copyrights on their apps? If so, it would be incredibly interesting to see them sue apple as the past updates, Notifications (aka lockinfo), Tethering (aka mywi... down to the blue bar on the top of the screen), and some others mentioned are direct ripoffs from jailbreak apps.

I dont know, just something I was thinking about the other day.