Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Unfortunately you could be hit with a bend or touch disease any time. However, due to this being much more out in the open, they might negotiate.

I know when mine was bent, I talked them down in price on replacement.

It took sitting around, talking to every level of management, and being patient but I got this done.

To be honest, I still think my Otterbox was partially at fault somehow for the bend in my purse. This is just my opinion but the case was so snug with hard plastic and practically no give! So if it had pressure put on it, I can easily see that pressure applied to the phone.
Concerning that it could happen but what can you really do? It’s technology, it’s not perfect. I’ve had this phone for several years and it hasn’t happened yet. That could be good or bad. I guess I’ll just hold out on it till I get a newer model, hasn’t bent either, could be good or bad as well. We’ll have see how it goes.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Concerning that it could happen but what can you really do? It’s technology, it’s not perfect. I’ve had this phone for several years and it hasn’t happened yet. That could be good or bad. I guess I’ll just hold out on it till I get a newer model, hasn’t bent either, could be good or bad as well. We’ll have see how it goes.
It depends on luck but it likely wont happen to your device as its 4 years old at this point. I have an iPhone 6 too which I got on Day 1 and it didn't bend nor does it have Touch Disease. Its a lottery whether you get a good one or not. Then again I am extra careful with my phones so I have never sat on it or let it fall.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
It depends on luck but it likely wont happen to your device as its 4 years old at this point. I have an iPhone 6 too which I got on Day 1 and it didn't bend nor does it have Touch Disease. Its a lottery whether you get a good one or not. Then again I am extra careful with my phones so I have never sat on it or let it fall.
I drop it a bit but never have sat on it as I never keep it in my back pocket, that's most likely why it's not bent yet.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Considering Tim Cook has specifically said they are committed to the Mac, what you said is patently false.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/19/a...e-mac-and-that-great-desktops-are-coming/amp/

Grownups know that sometimes there's a difference between what people say and what they do. Look around - Mac is 10 years behind the times. It would have no new features if it wasn't trying to keep up with iOS. And the hardware has been getting less capable each release for nearly that long, as well. (i bought a mac mini quad core knowing there was a new model coming… and NEVER looked back)

As for this thread - it's best to have a programme in place, with parts ready, when you admit a problem. I'd be surprised if
Apple didn't know earlier and plan to fix it, before they go public.

adamski23

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2017
No.

This is akin to a tiler who installs tile in the shower of a homeowner who beats the shower walls with a hammer and asks for a repair. When the tiler goes to retile the shower he uses a cheaper but still off-the-shelf tile. If the owner hits the retiled walls with a hammer again, they will still break. It is not a conspiracy.

I was referring to the the use of adhesive vs mortar in a wet area which will evetually fail. Adhesive is inadequate for the application.

On apples part, why was the weak point of the phone chassis eventually strengthened to prevent bending in the next iteration? It was because the initial design was inadequate.

Reactions: Septembersrain

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I was referring to the the use of adhesive vs mortar in a wet area which will evetually fail. Adhesive is inadequate for the application.

On apples part, why was the weak point of the phone chassis eventually strengthened to prevent bending in the next iteration? It was because the initial design was inadequate.

But you still appear to be assuming that the design of the phone was inadequate and somehow analogous to your example (with admittedly correct tile installation advice). Regardless of analogy, my point was that the phones failed because they were treated inconsistently with how an electronic device of this type normally should be. If you hit a tile wall with a hammer, it will fail - but that doesn't mean the tile installation was inadequate. I guess we all have the benefit of being able to sit on our phones now.

As far as why Apple strengthened anything, I suspect it was to keep the vocal minority who apparently play rough with their phones quiet. It's probably not an admission of fault as much as a corporation choosing which battles to fight.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Once a liar, always a liar.
Applied to online posters it seems like that would mean not much could really be taken for anything from many, including that very statement itself (which in a sense creates a paradox of sorts then).

Gamblur

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2018
Ohio
IPHONE 6 bought Black Friday straight talk 99.99 brand new. Got case and spider glass. Came with 11.4.1 software out of box problem happened immediately nothing was dropped upgraded iOS hard restart nothing returned to Walmart got new one this one three weeks 0. Truly 0 drops touch of death again this time I have to take it to a apple store or ship off for 10 days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.