Apple Launches '10 Billion App Countdown' Contest

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today launched a new 10 Billion App Countdown promotion to celebrate the upcoming milestone, awarding the user who downloads the 10 billionth app a $10,000 iTunes gift card.
As of today, nearly 10 billion apps have been downloaded from the App Store worldwide. Which is almost as amazing as the apps themselves. So we want to say thanks. Download the 10 billionth app, and you could win a US $10,000 iTunes Gift Card. Just visit the App Store, and download what could be your best app yet.
As noted in the official rules for the contest, users can make up to 25 contest entries per day by either downloading an app from the App Store or by filling out an alternate entry form.

Apple conducted a nearly identical contest just eleven months ago to celebrate 10 billion songs downloaded from the iTunes Store, illustrating just how quickly the App Store, which only launched two and a half years ago, has nearly caught up with the iTunes music store in download volume.

Article Link: Apple Launches '10 Billion App Countdown' Contest

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
One thing for sure. Apple has created an awesome application delivery and business model. No one can deny that. Just as software sales were going south, Apple re-vitalized them. 10 billion downloads. And they say Mac users are a small community. LOL

dstankus

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
... illustrating just how quickly the App Store, which only launched two and a half years ago, has nearly caught up with the iTunes music store in download volume.
Probably helped by the fact that there are many free, quality apps to download from the app store, while just about everything on iTunes has some cost.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Does it count if download from the mac app store?

Last edited:

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Does 10 billion include re-downloads of previously purchased apps, or 10 billion unique/new downloads?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Well, just the event itself is exciting but I have much better chance at winning my state's lottery sadly. :(

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
These huge iTunes cards Apple gives away are a little silly :eek: What can you possibly get on iTunes with that kind of value? You’d need to hire a staff just to find time to use the card! Because it can’t be used on hardware or non-app-store software, right? Just downloads?

A general Apple Store gift card would be better—you could then buy 500 $20 gift cards if that’s really what you wanted :)

Wow, that's a lot of apps. Wonder how it compares to others like android and ovi.
By my estimation, other stores have 1/1000th the amount of sheer crapware.... and 1/1000000th the amount of quality apps :) Thank goodness for searching and reviews!

Last edited:

mikerudolph22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
DC Metro Area
non-purchase entry form

"The 10 billionth app is considered to be either the downloading of the 10 billionth app from the App Store or the receipt of the non-purchase entry after the download of the 9,999,999,999th app, whichever comes first. Only entries submitted in this time period will be accepted."

It's like that game at the arcade where there are little lights illuminating one at a time around a horizontal ring and you have to press a button at the exact moment the light at your button lights up, except it's 20 times faster and thousands of people are playing at the same time!!!;)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What of the developer who makes the ten billionth app downloaded?

Free premium ADC membership... Exclusive access to Apple's campus... Something else cool like that?

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Somebody come up with an equation and calculate the estimated time it will hit 10b, quick!!

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
These huge iTunes cards Apple gives away are a little silly :eek: What can you possibly get on iTunes with that kind of value? You’d need to hire a staff just to find time to use the card! Because it can’t be used on hardware or non-app-store software, right? Just downloads?

A general Apple Store gift card would be better—you could then buy 500 $20 gift cards if that’s really what you wanted :)
honestly i think i would be able to use $10,000 in music/movie downloads easily. i will listen to (almost) every genre so i could find many uses for this. :D that said i'm not even gonna bother trying to win it..

but yes a gift card to the Apple Store itself would be much better.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

No, but you'd be set for life for apps and music.

And, I know you can use that credit at the Mac App store as well cause right now I got some itunes credits and I noticed the Mac App store recognizes that as well.

I for one would love to have a card like that. I could just download any app at whim to see if I like it. I may not use 10k worth (or it may take me years), but hey, pretty much getting free apps for your iphone/mac for a very long time - life is definitely a prize even if you don't ever use the full amount. Sure, it would be more useful to get the money or even an apple gift card, but I sure wouldn't complain about getting 10k credit in itunes for free.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
honestly i think i would be able to use $10,000 in music/movie downloads easily. i will listen to (almost) every genre so i could find many uses for this. :D that said i'm not even gonna bother trying to win it..

but yes a gift card to the Apple Store itself would be much better.
but you know, now you can use it buy Mac OS X Apps too! so, it'll ensure you get every future version of iWork, iLife, etc for free! :p

tarkeybear

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA
Not surprising Apps are gaining on Tunes

Outside of the weekly few free songs in iTunes, you have to actually spend money to buy songs.

The App market is flooded with so much free stuff that the opportunity to transact costs nothing to the consumer, so the "sales" (downloads) are through the roof!

I would be curious to see a head-to-head comparison of iTunes vs App store from a dollars sold perspective.

Still great news for the App store since it indicates fingers are tapping and people are visiting. Theses apps don't download themselves!

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
This looks like some sort of a cluster **** ilottery. People will dumload like crazy trying to get the winning app.

This here is some serious vice folks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.