Apple Launches '10 Billion App Countdown' Contest

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 14, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple today launched a new 10 Billion App Countdown promotion to celebrate the upcoming milestone, awarding the user who downloads the 10 billionth app a $10,000 iTunes gift card.
    As noted in the official rules for the contest, users can make up to 25 contest entries per day by either downloading an app from the App Store or by filling out an alternate entry form.

Apple conducted a nearly identical contest just eleven months ago to celebrate 10 billion songs downloaded from the iTunes Store, illustrating just how quickly the App Store, which only launched two and a half years ago, has nearly caught up with the iTunes music store in download volume.

Article Link: Apple Launches '10 Billion App Countdown' Contest

2. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

HyperX13

One thing for sure. Apple has created an awesome application delivery and business model. No one can deny that. Just as software sales were going south, Apple re-vitalized them. 10 billion downloads. And they say Mac users are a small community. LOL

3. LordTyroxx macrumors member

Awwww. I was hoping for a $10,000,000,000 gift card. :p

4. dstankus macrumors member

Probably helped by the fact that there are many free, quality apps to download from the app store, while just about everything on iTunes has some cost.

5. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Would seem quite appropriate :p 10 billion apps almost though thats um quite a few I suppose. Hopefully I win it :p

6. mickeyd26 macrumors newbie

Well said. Exactly what I was going to say.

7. simon48, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Does it count if download from the mac app store?

8. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

It was like only yesterday they hit 1 billion.

I wonder if this includes updates or re-downloads?

9. ibookster macrumors member

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Does 10 billion include re-downloads of previously purchased apps, or 10 billion unique/new downloads?

11. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I KNOW, right?
    Come on, Apple, pony up!

12. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

what do you do with 10M in itunes credit. I guess you gift a lot of apps.

Now a 10M apple store card, that would not last long :D

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, just the event itself is exciting but I have much better chance at winning my state's lottery sadly. :(

14. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Wow, that's a lot of apps. Wonder how it compares to others like android and ovi.

15. nagromme, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

These huge iTunes cards Apple gives away are a little silly :eek: What can you possibly get on iTunes with that kind of value? You’d need to hire a staff just to find time to use the card! Because it can’t be used on hardware or non-app-store software, right? Just downloads?

A general Apple Store gift card would be better—you could then buy 500 $20 gift cards if that’s really what you wanted :)

By my estimation, other stores have 1/1000th the amount of sheer crapware.... and 1/1000000th the amount of quality apps :) Thank goodness for searching and reviews!

16. mikerudolph22 macrumors regular

non-purchase entry form

"The 10 billionth app is considered to be either the downloading of the 10 billionth app from the App Store or the receipt of the non-purchase entry after the download of the 9,999,999,999th app, whichever comes first. Only entries submitted in this time period will be accepted."

It's like that game at the arcade where there are little lights illuminating one at a time around a horizontal ring and you have to press a button at the exact moment the light at your button lights up, except it's 20 times faster and thousands of people are playing at the same time!!!;)

17. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

What of the developer who makes the ten billionth app downloaded?

Free premium ADC membership... Exclusive access to Apple's campus... Something else cool like that?

18. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I've always wondered whether the entry is counted when the download starts, or when it registers that you finished the download?

19. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Somebody come up with an equation and calculate the estimated time it will hit 10b, quick!!

20. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

honestly i think i would be able to use $10,000 in music/movie downloads easily. i will listen to (almost) every genre so i could find many uses for this. :D that said i'm not even gonna bother trying to win it..

but yes a gift card to the Apple Store itself would be much better.

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

No, but you'd be set for life for apps and music.

And, I know you can use that credit at the Mac App store as well cause right now I got some itunes credits and I noticed the Mac App store recognizes that as well.

I for one would love to have a card like that. I could just download any app at whim to see if I like it. I may not use 10k worth (or it may take me years), but hey, pretty much getting free apps for your iphone/mac for a very long time - life is definitely a prize even if you don't ever use the full amount. Sure, it would be more useful to get the money or even an apple gift card, but I sure wouldn't complain about getting 10k credit in itunes for free.

22. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

but you know, now you can use it buy Mac OS X Apps too! so, it'll ensure you get every future version of iWork, iLife, etc for free! :p

23. tarkeybear macrumors member

Not surprising Apps are gaining on Tunes

Outside of the weekly few free songs in iTunes, you have to actually spend money to buy songs.

The App market is flooded with so much free stuff that the opportunity to transact costs nothing to the consumer, so the "sales" (downloads) are through the roof!

I would be curious to see a head-to-head comparison of iTunes vs App store from a dollars sold perspective.

Still great news for the App store since it indicates fingers are tapping and people are visiting. Theses apps don't download themselves!

24. jouster macrumors 65816

Why do we never get any figures for web apps? ;)

25. mac jones macrumors 68040

This looks like some sort of a cluster **** ilottery. People will dumload like crazy trying to get the winning app.

This here is some serious vice folks. :)