Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sascha h-k

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
vienna / austria
funny ...

usually apple takes 1 : 1 price between $ & €, so if a mac costs $1.999, also the €uro-price is the same.

but in promo-time they offer only € 75.00 :(

Discoverer

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
App Store credit is nice, I guess. If I get Pages '09, will I be eligible for a discount when a new version comes out?

skeleb

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
In Japan and Korea school year begins in April, so the campaign has ended for them. Don't know about other countries in Asia.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Hmm, I know this is stating the obvious, but actually this is only costing Apple $70, since they get $30 profit on the $100 spent.

It's the drug dealer model. First one is free. Then you're hooked. Nice, apple. Nice.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
We still only get 1 year of warranty though?

I get 2 years but that's only if you are a consumer and bought it in Portugal. And I can tell you that it get's expensive for a brand to constantly replace some products. Like when you get a clearance sale and it breaks after 1 year and a half, you sent it to warranty and it no longer exists either they give you a better model or return your money.

An example: cellphones are much affected by this since they are very prone to problems (specially software problems), Nokia for example even claims the phone was exposed to water when it wasn't just to get rid of the responsibility (even when it's a software bug!), but some people just damage their phones in the hope of getting a new one.

Another expensive example: every time my mp3 player dies (sony) they give me a brand new one and the warranty resets, so you get 2 years from the day you get the replacement. That has to be expensive.

Since Apple is very strict with warranties I don't really know (but they won't replace a product unless there's no other way and the warranty won't get extended).

Last edited:

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
App Store credit is nice, I guess. If I get Pages '09, will I be eligible for a discount when a new version comes out?
Probably. Pages '09 is listed as just 'Pages' on the Mac App Store and for the time being I can't imagine Apple complicating matters by removing the old and adding the new (because future security updates may be necessary, etc). This sort of favourable upgrade model is just a big hardware pusher for Apple.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Can't believe no one has pointed out that this might mean that they won't be launching new iPods this year. Isn't the BTS promotion usually used to clear out old stock?

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
In the terms and conditions it says the macbook air is eligible.

It says nothing about a new macbook air, just that the MBA in general is eligible for back to school.

I think that the person who wrote the front page macrumors article is just assuming that a new one is coming. Apple has still said nothing about a new macbook air.

If anyone saw anything different, please tell me.

Last edited:

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
Too bad this year~ I was waiting for such long time to have a free iPod Touch, but now it's gone~:mad:
And you know what? I did not wait, and now I'm thrilled :D

It's 550 NOK in Norway, so this is probably the only time I have seen Apple use something even remotely close to the correct exchange rate... which actually is around 5.50 NOK per USD. When they sell their products in Norway, they usually charge 8.00 NOK per USD.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Can't believe no one has pointed out that this might mean that they won't be launching new iPods this year. Isn't the BTS promotion usually used to clear out old stock?

Don't overthink this move by Apple.

The app store (itunes) model of marketing is THE method for Apple to get inside the consumers wallet.

famousshots

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2004
Education computers

When you buy a computer through the education store is there any difference in the computer or the use of it, like there is when you buy student versions of software?
Thanks

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Am i the only one who thinks this is paltry? Only $100/£65 and you can't even use it towards hardware. You have to go to one of the stores and feed Apple an extra 30% :rolleyes:

Such stingy, BS marketing. Glad i've never taken this promo seriously anyway.

Last edited:

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
In the terms and conditions it says the macbook air is eligible.

It says nothing about a new macbook air, just that the MBA in general is eligible for back to school.

I think that the person who wrote the front page macrumors article is just assuming that a new one is coming. Apple has still said nothing about a new macbook air.

If anyone saw anything different, please tell me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.