Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Sometimes people just want a really good performing phone that will take a few photos, store some music and make phone calls... Device capacity doesn't matter to everyone, so the iPhone 5c fits that perfectly.

Device capacity does matter when you only have 8GB, download some games, take some pictures and videos, sync come music and you're using almost all the capacity and looking what do you have to delete.

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
Among the many things that don't make sense about the iPhone 5C 8 GB is that it has a 1080p video camera, and unless you use a third party app, you can't decrease the resolution. Assuming you have apps and music on there as well (in addition to the space taken up by the OS), how many minutes of 1080p video could you take on an 8 GB phone before having to transfer it over to a computer? I don't know, but it's not much.

well this is exactly what is so great about this phone. - it will make people buy the next phone even earlier.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
8GB? Seriously?

Releasing anything, especially a Smartphone, with 8GB in 2014 should be considered a crime.

The thought is that you'll step up to the next size or model. Apple is good at upselling.

I remember when the 8GB iPod Touch was $229... but you could get a 32GB iPod Touch for $299

$70 more for 4 times the storage? Yes please!!!

It was the same for the old $999 11" 64GB Macbook Air. Another $100 doubles the storage to 128GB. You'd be a fool not to get that. And another $100 and you're into the 13" model.

If you're already thinking about spending $1000 on a laptop... you might as well pay a little more to get more.

BTW... it's only £40 to double the size of the iPhone 5C

£429 - 8GB
£469 - 16GB

Upselling! You see the low price... and then you spend a little more to get the one you actually want.

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
The thought is that you'll step up to the next size or model. Apple is good at upselling.

I remember when the 8GB iPod Touch was $229... but you could get a 32GB iPod Touch for $299

$70 more for 4 times the storage? Yes please!!!

It was the same for the old 11" 64GB Macbook Air. Another $100 doubles the storage. And another $100 and you're into the 13" model.

If you're already thinking about spending $1000 on a laptop... you might as well pay a little more to get more.

BTW... it's only £40 to double the size of the iPhone 5C

£429 - 8GB
£469 - 16GB

Upselling!

i wish the same nobrainer upselling would be happening for macbook pro's. there the higher SSD/RAM are really costly.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Apple are getting the Cook failure factor out of their systems with this gesture. Once the iPhone 6 comes out and replaces this stop gap model THEN the fight back begins. But for now. Just ignore this daft joke. It's just Apple saying "No More. This is the last of our crazy ideas and backward looking style.
Tomorrow we go forward.
But til then. Just wait. Please"
Bravo!

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Apple's iPhone 5c has seen lower-than-expected sales since its debut last September …
I still would like to see some concrete numbers for this, but I think it's telling that I haven't seen one single iPhone 5c in the wild. Not one. On the other hand, I encountered about quite a lot 5s, including a sizeable number in "pimp", sorry, I meant "champagne".

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Rather silly decision, which may end up hurting the brand.

Kind of like an overpriced remainders store.

Agreed. The iPad 4 replacing the iPad 2 helps Apple's brand/image because the 2 is not retina and is dog slow with iOS 7. But an 8GB iPhone in 2014? This must be for people who don't use the phone for anything other than texting and phone calls. Weird. And feels desperate too.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
i wish the same nobrainer upselling would be happening for macbook pro's. there the higher SSD/RAM are really costly.

Yeah... times have changed since then.

But if you look at Apple's pricing (and you're thinking about spending that much in the first place) Apple's prices aren't always bad.

Apple's SSDs are ridiculously fast these days. If you choose the right capacity now... you'll enjoy the speed for years to come.

And don't forget about resale value!

If you spend a little more now... you'll most likely be able to get that back in the future.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
In Australian store:

8GB iPhone 5c: $679 ($60 less than 16GB) = overpriced nonsense.

16GB iPad with Retina Display: $449* ($149 less than 16GB iPad Air) = GOOD DEAL!

Hard to work out how they can be so generous with the iPad 4 and so stingy with the iPhone.

*EDIT: Looks like the iPad price was too good to be true! As of this moment, the Compare iPad models page I was looking at has now blanked out those prices for the iPad 4, and when you go to the store it has a price of $529. Oh Apple.

*EDIT 2: Nope, it's back to $449 again, and this time it's consistent on both the Compare iPad models page and the store page! Okay, back to what I said before. I think this is a good price!! Maybe worth getting in before they change their mind again!

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Why spend so much on an iphone and then cripple it to save 40 quid?

The idea is for you to notice that... so you go ahead and spend that extra money for the 16GB model.

They get you in the door at £429... but then you realize "for only £40 more I can have double the capacity..."

Upselling.

Automobile makers do this all the time. They have an entry-level model at some low price... but the one everybody ends up buying is the mid-range model or higher.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I still would like to see some concrete numbers for this, but I think it's telling that I haven't seen one single iPhone 5c in the wild. Not one. On the other hand, I encountered about quite a lot 5s, including a sizeable number in "pimp", sorry, I meant "champagne".

I saw one, and only one! :D

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
Oh dear...

What the hell are Apple thinking launching an 8GB iPhone 5c just £40 cheaper than the 16GB?

This is bizarre. 8GB is absolutely pointless and for the sake of £40, why risk giving potential new customers a poor experience.

This is a bad decision by Apple and I can't fathom their justification behind it.

Last edited:

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
It's nice to see Apple update the iPad 2 offering after all this time. With that said though I think they've done a pretty good job pushing smart software with limited RAM on the iPad models. My iPad Mini 1st gen never feels sluggish even on newer software. I think people are cynical because Apple made great money selling iPad 2 models with limited specs but when it comes down to it the iPad 2 is still perfectly adequate at doing what it's supposed to do and I suspect it will be for some time.

The 8GB iPhone 5C offering is inexcusable though as is iOS 7.1's impact on battery life. Feel badly for anyone working for Apple tech support right about now.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The idea is for you to notice that... so you go ahead and spend that extra money for the 16GB model.

They get you in the door at £429... but then you realize "for only £40 more I can have double the capacity..."

Upselling.

Automobile makers do this all the time. They have an entry-level model at some low price... but the one everybody ends up buying is the mid-range model or higher.

Perhaps that would worked if they had released the 8GB model at the beginning?

But if the 16GB model is not selling well I highly doubt that introducing a 8GB will make the sales jump. Both the 8 and 16 models are overpriced

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Really sums Apple up. Late to the market with everything, under specced and over priced. £429 for an 8gig plastic phone - you've got to be kidding.

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
What the hell are Apple thinking launching an 8GB iPhone 5c just £40 cheaper than the 16GB?

This is bizarre. 8GB is absolutely pointless and for the sake of £40, why risk giving potential new customers a poor experience.

This is a bad decision by Apple and I can fathom their justification behind it.

Greed :(

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
well this is exactly what is so great about this phone. - it will make people buy the next phone even earlier.

Yeah that's why they are buying the 5c as they can afford the latest tech! Maybe it makes sense to you but not to many others on here.

Going Forward... Apple bring back the Cube with 512k super fast Ram!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.