Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Although it is a beta and has many bugs I see it only getting better. Also I can't seem to find the dark theme setting anyway all I can do is log out.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
I've got to be honest, I think Apple does a poor job informing users that iTunes Match is no longer needed when you sign up for Apple Music. We just signed up for AM Family plan about 4 months ago and I haven't canceled Match yet because I wasn't sure. It doesn't renew until November and I was debating whether to keep it active or not. Glad I read this thread, just saved me $25.

When someone signs up for Apple Music, Apple should automatically "upgrade" iTunes Match and give you credit (or a discount on AM) based on the remaining time left on your Match sub. Yesterday, I "upgraded" my Xbox Game Pass sub to Game Pass Ultimate and MS automatically converted my XBL Gold sub to Ultimate and my next payment isn't due until Feb which is when my Gold sub would have ended.

Artwork. I used my own chosen artwork for nearly 75% of my music library before signing up for Apple Music. Understandably, though disappointingly and many, many times erroneously, Apple Music replaced it with what it believed to be the correct artwork. Beware!

This has not been a problem for me and I also use a lot of custom artwork. As long as I have all the tags and artwork set before importing in iTunes, it always uses my artwork across all my devices, even if it "matches" the tracks instead of uploading (I use Meta for tag editing on Mac and Tag&Rename on Windows).

My theory is that because I had iTunes Match, and spent years getting all my artwork and tags correct with Match, once I finally subbed to Apple Music it didn't touch my collection because it was already in my iCloud Music Library. That's just my theory. I also have the setting in iTunes "Automatically download album artwork" turned off.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Also going to keep iTunes installed and still use the web player too. I have a link in Chrome that makes it look like an native app. The web app is still way faster than iTunes. I also think that iTunes has better SQ only because there is a setting to play at 48khz 24bit but I also listen to mostly older music but the web player if you know is it using 256kbps AAC or the horrible 64kbps heAAC? Too me and I have sensitive hearing sounds like 256kbps AAC.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Ha good luck. Apple will never bring Messages app to the web. For one thing, it'd be a nightmare to keep it secure. But more importantly, it would remove one of the walls from the Apple garden. Why buy a Mac when you can just get a PC that you can text from the browser with?

It is common misunderstanding. I can understand first, security, but it was Steve Jobs intention to make FaceTime and iMessage standards. But was hindered by long lasting patent disputes. And Apple may change mind in meantime or may not.

Anyone who want communicate freely is using other messengers. It is dominated by Facebook (Messenger/WhatsApp) all around the word.
Outside few countries is iMessage cherry on cake as you have few iPhone users around and free messaging within family or company from carrier.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see an ability to create regular or smart playlist. Which is unfortunate. Doesn't do much for me since I always have my phone on me anyway. Would have be more useful with those features.

Also my smart playlist don't even show up. Hopefully more features get added.

JLL

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Realy? Is that new in Catalina then? Since in Mojave i must login to iTunes and it was in my understanding that's the same account as the App store account. If that's not the case then i feel realy stupid :D

That has never been the case.

Furthermore you can use multiple accounts in App Store. You don’t have to be logged in with your work account all the time. I have apps from three different accounts on ny Macs.

Reactions: Jschut82

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The reason iTunes has been great for people in rural areas or otherwise lacking decent and reliable net connection is precisely that an internet connection does not have to be always-on. Yes there are times one must have a connection. No it does not have to be high speed or maintained consistently. The day that the OS side of all things Apple lacks a local option to play music will be a regrettable one for more people than Apple may realize.

But hey, vinyl has made a comeback. Pretty soon, who knows, maybe concert artists will be touring towns with as few as 2k people again, and eventually we'll all be graced with the special human capability of creating primitive flutes out of bamboo or worm-holed bits of rock...

(Did some pretty well funded scientists finally make time run backwards?)
I like and use iTunes, but there are times when it's not available to me and is inappropriate/impossible to install. (Visiting friends/family, on a locked-down corporate network, etc...)

Reactions: LizKat

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Yikes at how off base this comment is. It’s simply untrue, in my experience/opinion. Spotify’s main attraction are its Discover Weekly and Release Radar curated playlists. As well as recently their Daily Mix 1-6 playlists, all based off of their terrific algorithms.

I’ve discovered so many great artists through their curating, artists I had never heard of before in most cases, but I enjoyed the music. In my experience Apple Music tended to recommend artists or songs that I’ve already listened to or knew existed, very little new exposure.
--------
Your comments above are bang on (IMO). Spotify has introduced me to many more interesting artists than has Apple Music and I have had Apple Music far longer than Spotify. AM is looking a bit better now but is still miles behind Spotify in the area of recommendations.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple Music is a seperate section in iTunes and the Music app, your library stays there untouched, and from Apple Music you can add to your library. Create playlists or add albums etc from Apple Music.
This concerns me as you quickly mention “add music to your library” after saying “your library stays untouched”.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
It is common misunderstanding. I can understand first, security, but it was Steve Jobs intention to make FaceTime and iMessage standards. But was hindered by long lasting patent disputes. And Apple may change mind in meantime or may not.

Anyone who want communicate freely is using other messengers. It is dominated by Facebook (Messenger/WhatsApp) all around the word.
Outside few countries is iMessage cherry on cake as you have few iPhone users around and free messaging within family or company from carrier.
Woah I didn't know that Steve wanted to standardize those things. I guess in a way, he kinda did though. Like video calling and exclusive messaging services (i.e. those services which only talk with another of the same client application like Facebook Messenger, versus an open standard like SMS) definitely exist in proprietary ways, but the idea of them is standardized. Video calling is secondhand for us now, so in that regard it's standardized, but not specifically Apple's FaceTime or Google's Hangout. However, just the idea of such a thing wouldn't have become such an everyday thing without Apple popularizing FaceTime.

darkcompass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
I like it for a beta. Theres a few things missing like Playlist Folders, and adding tracks to a playlist, but Im sure they will turn up at some point.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
The web player does not list all albums. Search for "Janet Jackson" in the web player and her three oldest albums don't show up. However if you search for "Janet Jackson Dream Street" the missing album will show up. In iTunes there is no issues.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
This is literally the only thing Spotify has that Apple Music was missing.

Not nearly enough to make me think about switching, though, I have to wonder about all those that claimed this was a dealbreaker to not using Apple Music.

Not really, Apple music still needs to be more available. Spotify is on Smart TVs, Amazon Fire, Roku, Game consoles, Samsung watches, AV receivers, and etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.