Apple Launches Apple Music on the Web Beta

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a new Apple Music web experience, which is available to all users in a beta capacity.

The Apple Music website is similar to the Apple Music app on Macs, offering up dedicated "For You," "Browse," and Radio" sections, along with playlists, recommendations, and more.

Apple Music users can sign in to Apple Music to access their customized content, and Apple is offering free trials for those who are new to the service.

You do need to sign up for Apple Music through Android, iOS, or Mac, as at the current time, there is no option to sign up on the web. Apple does plan to offer web signups in the future.

Content played on Apple Music for web plays right in the web player, with access to the entire Apple Music library on the left side of the interface.

With Apple Music on the web, the Apple Music service is accessible on any device that has a web browser, including Windows 10, Linux, and ChromeOS machines. Apple is aiming to make Apple Music as widely available as possible, allowing the company to better compete with other services like Spotify.

According to TechCrunch, over the course of the beta testing period, Apple will be soliciting feedback from customers as it works to streamline features and take care of bugs.

Those who want to give the new Apple Music web experience a try can visit beta.music.apple.com.

Article Link: Apple Launches Apple Music on the Web Beta

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
If you sign up for Apple Music does it mess with ANYTHING in your iTunes library? Didn't signing up for something used to do that? Music Match, was it? Where it would replace songs and stuff? Don't want any part of that. Thanks!
For me, it has played very well with Match. I actually kept both because I wasn't sure I would like Apple Music, but it has been great. I do however, have some material that is not on Apple Music and having Match makes it available everywhere too.

If you can afford it, no reason not to have both.

Reactions: Websnapx2 and NMBob

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
This is literally the only thing Spotify has that Apple Music was missing.

Not nearly enough to make me think about switching, though, I have to wonder about all those that claimed this was a dealbreaker to not using Apple Music.
Still missing third party integration. I want to be able to use Alexa/Google Assistant with Apple Music. But this is the other big feature for sure.

Remy149

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2016
For me, it has played very well with Match. I actually kept both because I wasn't sure I would like Apple Music, but it has been great. I do however, have some material that is not on Apple Music and having Match makes it available everywhere too.

I canceled my match subscription and have not lost access to any content just having Apple Music

jntdroid

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Still missing third party integration. I want to be able to use Alexa/Google Assistant with Apple Music. But this is the other big feature for sure.
You can use Apple Music on Alexa. You can even set it as the default music source through the Alexa app.

Reactions: bbfc

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012

There’s no reason TO have both. All of Match’s features are supported in Apple Music.

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
If it offers play counts from the web listening, I would consider using Apple Music. For now, I like to own contents purchased from iTunes.

Reactions: NMBob

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
There’s no reason TO have both. All of Match’s features are supported in Apple Music.
Um.... I don't know if that's true. Maybe I am wrong, but I have some music that I created when I was younger, and if I go solely to Apple Music, I think i will likely lose access to them because they aren't in the public arena, nor published on iTunes.

I'm not 100% but fairly confident.