Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that Arizona has become the first U.S. state to support driver's licenses and state IDs in the Wallet app on the iPhone and Apple Watch.

apple-wallet-drivers-license-feature.jpg

Starting today, Apple said Arizona residents can add their driver's license or state ID to the Wallet app, and tap their iPhone or Apple Watch to seamlessly and securely present it at select TSA security checkpoints in Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Apple said the feature is also available for use at select TSA checkpoints in select other states, with travelers advised to check TSA checkpoint signage to confirm availability.

Additional states will offer driver's licenses and state IDs in the Wallet app soon, according to Apple, including Colorado, Hawaii, Mississippi, and Ohio, as well as the territory of Puerto Rico. Apple previously announced that Georgia, Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Oklahoma, and Utah also planned to offer the feature to residents.

Apple-Wallet-License-ID-Feature-Arizona.jpg

"We look forward to working with many more states and the TSA to bring IDs in Wallet to users across the US," said Jennifer Bailey, Apple's vice president of Apple Pay and Apple Wallet. Apple has not said if it will expand the feature to other countries in the future.

The driver's license and state IDs feature in the Wallet app is available on the iPhone 8 or later running iOS 15.4, which was released to the public last week, and on the Apple Watch Series 4 or later running watchOS 8.4 or later.

Residents of participating states can tap the "+" button in the top-right corner of the Wallet app, select "Driver's License or State ID," and follow the on-screen instructions to start the setup and verification process. The user will be asked to take a photo of their face and scan the front and back of their driver's license or state ID card, which will be securely provided to the issuing state for verification, according to Apple.

As an additional fraud prevention measure, Apple said users will be prompted to complete a series of facial and head movements during the setup process. Apple said each state is responsible for verifying and approving a user's request.

After the driver's license or ID has been added to the Wallet app, users can simply tap their iPhone or Apple Watch on an identity reader at a TSA checkpoint, without taking out their physical card. Users will see a prompt on their device displaying the specific information being requested by the TSA, and only after authorizing with Face ID or Touch ID is the requested identity information released from their device, according to Apple.

Users do not need to unlock, show, or hand over their device to a TSA officer to present their mobile driver's license or ID, said Apple.

Apple has published an IDs in the Wallet app page on its website with more details.

Article Link: Apple Launches Driver's License Feature on iPhone in Arizona, More States Coming Soon

Last edited:
Reactions: rjohnstone

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Saw a report on 9to5Mac a couple minutes ago about Apple lobbying New York. Got excited, but nothing to announce at this time

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Just went through the routine. You scan both sides of your license; then you move your head around, open your mouth, that sort of thing — presumably to make sure you’re at least a ventriloquist’s dummy. Then a final selfie … and, last, a notification that it’s been sent to the state and that you’ll be notified by Wallet of any updates.

I’m especially curious to see what it looks like once it’s actually been added to Wallet. Will there be a front-and-back picture that I could hand to the nice ossifer should I forget my wallet at home? Because the press release makes plain that it’s only Sky Harbor TSA point-of-entry kiosks that support the no-touch verification.

b&

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I like the idea of having my license in digital format. I don't like the idea of showing or giving my phone to law enforcement. It will also be an issue when traveling since so many states will be years implementing this.
With the wallet you can keep your phone locked when you show it to law enforcement. With the Colorado app I set up "Guided access" so that if I have to hand it over the device will stay locked.

harti74

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
Is this some kind of novelty in the U.S.?? in Poland we've had a government app (mObywatel), both for iOS and android, which does exactly the same since 2019.. in this app we have: driver's license, ID card, vaccination certificate, car documents/insurance, electronic prescriptions, etc., no one carries any physical documents any longer... and interestingly enough, it's Americans who make fun of Poles by telling Polish jokes.... ;)

beckermanex

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2019
Just went through the routine. You scan both sides of your license; then you move your head around, open your mouth, that sort of thing — presumably to make sure you’re at least a ventriloquist’s dummy. Then a final selfie … and, last, a notification that it’s been sent to the state and that you’ll be notified by Wallet of any updates.

I’m especially curious to see what it looks like once it’s actually been added to Wallet. Will there be a front-and-back picture that I could hand to the nice ossifer should I forget my wallet at home? Because the press release makes plain that it’s only Sky Harbor TSA point-of-entry kiosks that support the no-touch verification.

b&
I tried to do it, but I have an old style license from 15 years ago (never got the new one since they don't expire for 50 years here in AZ) and it won't scan the back, assuming they changed the style of the newer license. Those of us in AZ who haven't updated, we may have to now.

azmscle

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2020
California, USA

b&
It shows the stock image in the apple press release and adds first name and last initial to the image. Once you hit the … menu it displays all the information on the license in a list format with the photo on your license as well. No full digital image of the DL like the one in the AZMVD app

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Does this mean users don’t need to carry their license while driving anymore? Or does it only apply for use at airports?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.