Apple Launches iTunes Sale With 4K HDR Bundles Starting at $19.99 for Three Movies

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2017.

1. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

That's the trick. It lets them boost sales number for underperforming titles.

2. zarmanto macrumors member

zarmanto

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice the conspicuous absence of any Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel titles?

3. Jefferyd32 macrumors regular

4. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

And in a few of 'em I'd only ever buy one of those titles. Some are just mystifying. Blade Runner with Jupiter Ascending? Really?? It was beautifully shot but there's no way Blade Runner is as good as Jupiter Ascending.

ZING!

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

8K is already coming in the pipeline. By then you'll want to wait for 8K to replace 4K.

I've given up on buying movies. I haven't bought one for at least four years now. It made sense before streaming services were practical. Mainly because the offerings on cable were crap most of the time and loaded with commercials.

Now that there is so much commercial free content available on Netflix. Stuff I've never seen before. I can't justify it. There is always something new. Well new to me.

Pretty much the only movies worth rewatching are from the 1930's to the 1970's. Modern movies are garbage. I've seen all the good 80's and 90's movies so many times in college. I can't stand to see them again.

6. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

Looks like some bundles are missing. Where's the Marvel Studios bundle? Disney classic animation bundle? Pixar bundle? Star Wars bundle? Christopher Nolan Batman bundle?

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I will give you one good reason to buy and not stream a 4K movie. You get the full 4K quality with immersive sound which as far as I know is not supported on Apple TV. I have an OPPO 203 player and it just find that the 4K blu-ray disk is worth the investment. I often play more than once when i have friends over etc.

8. Jefferyd32 macrumors regular

I thought Apple was auto upgrading purchased movies to 4k. Is this only for some movies? Do things need to be repurchased for 4k?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2017 ---
    Tons of $4.99 HD movie sales. Are they not available in 4k? Is 4k not something that is able to be retro upgraded with older films like HD is?

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

From what I have heard, it is only itunes purchases that get the upgrade treatment. For example, movies purchased through VUDU that are being linked via moviesanywhere are not being upgraded if they were not purchased in 4K.

10. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Whether or not specific movies are available in 4K is completely up to the studio, not Apple. Some old titles will take a while to have 4K versions released (and some may never, though I suspect most will eventually).

Disney specifically is playing their cards close to their chest until their own streaming service is released, at which point they might even end up pulling everything from iTunes and everywhere else.

Apple has indeed said any movie with a 4K version will not cost any more than the HD version, and if you already own the HD version you get that upgraded for free when the 4K version is available. In this regard they are absolutely trouncing the 4K competition. Regardless of the quality of the specific movies in these bundles, you have to realize that $20 for three 4K HDR films is an unbeatable price right now.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It is like beating a dead horse trying to explain why we still buy physical media. To the person you quoted, I rewatched scenes from movies all of the time. There is something very rewarding about seeing and hearing a well set up home theater.

12. erinsarah macrumors regular

I feel like that's a holdout from the days where we'd buy a DVD and enjoy just adding it to the collection on the shelf, always there to remind you that you own your very open copy of Napoleon Dynamite for all to see. But yeah...what's the point when rather than pull it out you're just gonna watch the latest releases on AZ Prime.

13. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Yeah, most are 3 terrible movies, or one good one and two terrible.

14. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

No you're not! :)

The Wachowskis make brilliant movies imo, and even if they don't always succeed, at least they try to offer something original, unusual. I loved Jupiter Ascending, not to mention Cloud Atlas!

15. rpe33 macrumors regular

The Sony Action and Adventure bundle looks good. I'm going to jump on that one.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2017 ---
    Can't speak for anyone else but I've watched many moves multiple times. I understand if buying movies isn't for you, but believe it or not, you're not the only person that matters.

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

What if they create a pool of say a few hundred movies that they want on sale, then let you pick any 5 (or however many) of those to create your own bundle, for like $35 or whatever? It's good for Apple and for the movie studios because they're getting you to buy more than 1 movie, and it's good for you because you get to pick the movies you actually want and get a discount.

17. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

I wonder how Disney buying Fox will affect their 4K offering on iTunes. Weren’t they the one holding out on offering free upgrades from 1080?

18. mmm1345, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017

mmm1345 Suspended

mmm1345

These are 4k starter bundles. They are promoting 4k/Hdr. None of the films you mentioned are in 4k/hdr. The Batman 4k/hdr and Nolan Hdr set just came out today.

19. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Didn’t know having taste in cinema was considered being snobby.

20. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I do. I don't subscribe to the streaming services because I don't consume enough media to make it worthwhile. But the movies I do like, I usually buy because I enjoy watching them multiple times. That method is a lot less expensive for me.

That said, this particular offer features just one movie in each bundle that I have any interest in. I could just buy them at the regular price anytime.

21. err404 macrumors 68020

Those aren’t 4k. So while, yes they are on sale, the title of the article is for 4k movies.

22. nofear1az macrumors 6502

nofear1az

I have Netflix and Amazon prime - didn't like HBO so don't need that and I rent movies from RedBox only for a $1.59. Cheap! That's the appeal of renting. How else do you watch movies without paying a premium price for it - their not on Netflix or Amazon.

23. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

I only buy, and i only buy what i'm pretty sure I will like. Every one of my 142 movies has been viewed at least twice and some, like you, many times. Top Gun I have probably watched 7-8 times. There are many more I have watched more than twice. Amortized over the years I haven't spent all that much money to watch my favorite movies and i can always watch them again, and again, and..........

24. neuropsychguy, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017

neuropsychguy macrumors 6502a

neuropsychguy

Some of my Vudu and Amazon purchased movies that could be upgraded to 4K were.

Maybe they're not really playing back in 4K - I haven't checked that closely. I know some of them show 4k and HDR streaming available on my iPad Pro and 4K ATV.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is what I was told. That they are not actually playing back at 4K. For example, I bought Edge of Tomorrow in 1080P from VUDU. My itunes shows it as 4K, but it will not actually play in 4K is what I have been told. I do not have a 4K ATV to test it on.